1997 Sociando

Recently, gabbed this at auction… In the last yr. Ive had some success with a couple other '97 (Potensac and Beau Sejour Becot)

The success of wines really peaked my interest to try more '97’s… Especially since I found them quite classic and interesting.

So of course I couldnt pass up this opportunity to explore further, especially since I throughly adore Sociando.

Being some random auction wine, I kept my expectations low, I wanted to save it for later date but alas, I am a weak man and too tempted by it’s nectar.

Out goes the cork.

First off the nose…the aromatics here are wonderful…
Hints of leather, tobacco and ground coffee

The taste: this is just so smooth, tannins here are completely resolved, no evidence of anything uneven or unripened, semi-sweet red currents, the character here is mosty provencal herbs and tobacco driven, very classic, so charming…100% at apogee. If there was ever a time to use dancing Saytrs in a tasting note, this would be that moment…oh wait, someone beat me to it? Damn, that meddling Robert Alfert!!!

Sociando does it again and if you have any 1997’s, these should be popped Now! It’s quite a lovely vintage.

Cheers [cheers.gif]

Glad you liked it Marc, I agree it’s a really enjoyable wine - I loved it last year - I wonder - some vintages are better than others, but has Sociando Mallet ever actually made a real stinker? I don’t remember having any vintage I really disliked. Such consistency.

I remember a 1997 arrivage tasting in Munich (must have been in 2000) where the Sociando-M was the darkest of the range (of quite bright transparent, almost rosé coloured) clarets. Also the palate was promising and relatively concentrated.
I didn t buy any SC (and later almost no 1997 at all, with the exception of some single bottles) … so good to hear that my impression wasn t wrong then.

Sociando in some ways is like Leoville Barton, I’ve never had a bottle that I didn’t at least like, they often make quite nice wines in off-vintages, and can smoke it in years like 1990.

One of the best kept secrets in 97.
Until now…i’m afraid [cry.gif]

Much more better than Leoville Barton in 97.