Napa Cab Recommendations for an Old World Dude?

I’ve never gotten into Napa cabs but perhaps that’s because I’d simply not found the right bottles. I recently tasted '17 Di Costanzo “DI CO” and a '15 Eisele Vineyard Altagracia and enjoyed both very much. I was hoping to get some bottle suggestions in the $25/$50/$100/$150 ranges so I can put together a little tasting at different price points. If it’s any help, the red wines I drink most are cru Bojo, Burg, Barbaresco, and N Rhone. I appreciate any feedback.

<$50 - Maître de Chai Massa

$50 - Frogs Leap

$75-100 - Beta /Matthiason

$100-150 - Dunn / Forman / Ceritas / Arnot Roberts / Corison

2 Likes

Smith Madrone
Ritchie Creek
Lewelling

$ 50- Neil, Ramey, Frogs Leap Napa and Long Meadow Ranch
$75- Long Meadow Rutherford, Calluna The Colonel’s Vineyard- Sonoma but Old world in style, Inglenook and Robert Craig Howell Mtn very good too.
100ish- If you like DI CO then check out the Farella and Montecillo cabs from Dicostanza. fantastic wines- Heitz Trailside and Detert are excellent as well.

I’ll throw in a vote for Mayacamas … had the 99 last night and while it’s unmistakably new world fruit, the structure felt old world — 12.5% abv too.

If you truly want an “old world” tasting Napa cab then my suggestion would be Dominus. Yes, they are pricy, but truly taste old world. Haven’t had any Dominus Napanook red, their second label. But, they can be had for around $75.

Check the auction sites for stuff with some age.
Also, look into Renaissance. I believe they are still selling their older vintages.

Frog’s Leap at $50.

I don’t find Napanook to have the same profile as Dominus. It’s more new worldy to me.

Corison
Beta
Mayacamas
Heitz
Clos du Val

All should be of interest to an old world leaning palate.

If you prefer your Old World with some age on them, seek out some older Cali Cab bottles:

• Dunn Howell Mountain (late 80s through to early 90s)
  • Beaulieu Georges de Latour Private Reserve (late 70s through to early 90s)
  • Heitz Martha’s Vineyard (late 70s to late 90s, but be careful about the late 80s/early 90s as they had TCA issues in those years, and didn’t make the wine at all in 93-95)
  • Dominus (late 80s and early 90s, especially 1991 and 1994)
  • Spottswoode (80s and 90s)
  • Burgess Vintage Selection (I’ve had some phenomenal bottles from the late 70s through to the early 90s)

oh yeah, and Montelena, can’t leave them out!

Some great suggestions here, thanks everyone! I’ll get to work.

Vintage matters more than winemaker, in this search.

Since no one mentioned Togni, well, that would be number one on my list. The other important examples have been mentioned. Not sure I would put contemporary Montelana on the list, and I would argue that post-2010 (i.e. 2011 and on) Spottswoode are the most “old world” wines they have made in many respects, but those are just quibbles.

1 Like

Say what??

+1

Togni is among the best, IMO.

Disagree with this completely. I would rather have a great winery in a “difficult” year (very rare in California anyway) than an average winery in a great year.

I would add Larkmead (around $100) to this discussion as they are nicely balanced wines. I also just had a '12 Virage and it is aging beautifully (<$70). At the higher end, I think Blankiet is making some of the best wines in their price range and they are very well balanced.

I generally do not buy in that price league.
My purchases are usually under $30 per bottle.

How did I forget!

Agree with the above, so will not repeat, and would add A Rafanelli regular bottling cab and their Terrace Select.

Finding some older La Jota and Diamond Creek would be on my list, and Peter Michael Les Pavots, as well.

I have had friends mistake older Simi cab and merlot for Bordeaux, too!