Krug Clos du Mesnil, Vatan, Sushi and some Cool Burgs

Fellow Berkserker, MarcF, set up a spontaneous sushi dinner with the boys last night, I think most of our wives just happened to be out of town. We hit our favorite local sushi joint, Kabooki, which if any of you come to town, this is my top recommendation. Super creative Chef, and a swank atmosphere that even Fu would approve. All the pretty people come here. And us, too.

We figured a little ‘ole Krug Clos de Mesnil 2004 would set the tone off right for a guy’s night. Coincidental that I had a couple of bottles of Krug last week for my wife’s birthday, and have been drinking a lot of champagne in general lately, so was quite a treat to try a special bottling of Krug that I have not had before. As I have noted on the Covid thread, while my sensory perception is not back 100%, I seem to do very well with higher acid (not higher ass) wine, especially Champagne and Sav Blancs. These are in the zone with me. The Krug was superb. I will also say, it’s still coiled fairly tight, like a spring ready to explode with another level. What it showed, however, is incredibly clean, crystalline yellow and white fruits. Kiss of honey, lemons with a heightened level of minerality. I’m not very sophisticated about champagne, so cannot speak to the dosage on this bottling, but I do think the wine was more about power, structure, acid than effervescence. And the bubbles it did showcase where tiny. Love the more golden, rich color on this wine, evocative of the overall experience to the wine. The two bottles of NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 167eme we had the prior week - at the same restaurant and with the same oyster starters - were more approachable and had more of that archetype brioche, toasty, yeasty thing going on, which I really like. While this Clos de Mesnil is another level of purity and fruit, between us friends, it is impossible to justify the price for the country folk among us. Incidentally, both Krugs are a dream pairing with the Kabooki oyster starters, which have a spicey kick to them. (96+ pts.)

904F7B4D-F283-4917-A286-A0DB0C4C5D17.jpeg
0D3F842A-D8F7-4EA0-A526-76EA371345F3.jpeg
To its credit, the 2015 Edmond Vatan Sancerre Clos la Néore held its own following the Krug. This is another special wine that I have had quite a bit of these past 6 months. One of the more ripe and meaty Vatan vintages that I have had in a very long time, and much more open and expressive even with just a few years on it. Has an opulence to it that works exceedingly well given the structure and acid that this wine delivers. It’s like the wine gods poured this elixir through a sift filled with river bed stones, minerals and other detritus of the earth. If you are looking for pineapples, cat pee and green grass, this is not your Sauvignon Blanc. Like the Krug, it simply has incredible density and purity of clean white and yellow fruits. A really powerful vintage of Vatan. (95 pts.)

4207139C-49EF-47EE-9F7E-D2A5AB8EFACB.jpeg
As the tuna came out, we popped a 2017 Chateau Pape Clement Blanc. Our server was enjoying our wines with us, and he was the first to comment on this wine - and incidentally, by his own admission, he’s not a wine connoisseur - wow, a lot of oak on this one. Yes. It does. Like lots of it. An impossible flip to this wine after the Krug and Vatan. I had maybe 1/3 of a glass and it is not worthy of a note.

And then we segued to a smattering of Burgs. I’ll let MarcF speak to those, as Burgs are his wheelhouse.

Overall, a killer night with my best friends. Actually, a killer day, as I cycled long with some of them that morning. The Florida cool weather is here! Time for celebration.

Look, I refuse to feel self-conscious that your Mudroom is more ornately decorated than my Master Bedroom, Alfert :slight_smile:

But, also, genuinely very pleased that you’re drinking something sophisticated. We yearn for it to rub off on you… Krug Weekends are good weekends. Less Zins, more Krug.

Where are the “cool Burgs” we were promised??

Coming later…just rolling out of bed and off the brunch…just some modest burgs… nothing too crazy

The funniest part of the night was at the end, our friend had a 2005 Chateau Pavie, and we told him “no”. All in good fun, made for good ribbing.

Thanks for the note on the '15 Vatan!

And the weather forecast finally looks like Florida wine shipping season is finally open for the I-4 corridor [cheers.gif]

super notes.

Can you at least tell us if you liked the Burgundies?

Interesting. From what I have read, post Covid, people tend to only like wines made by Rolland. newhere

Haha, I panned the Pape, what more do you want out of my yak palate!?

1 Like

Notes on the burgs

This WB burg crew are a Blood Thirsty Ravenous for notes!!

Sorry boys, I was out all day yesterday, I don’t set my alarm at 5a.m. like Alfert to post notes…you guys know this is like a second job for him, sometimes I wonder if it’s his first! [wink.gif]

But u know I love the big guy, so what better way to show the love then by offering him to accompany his pals to some complimentary dining at one of his favorite spots …KABOOKI

I decide to send out a few texts not expecting much and voila…the stars aligned and the plan gets put into action

I was itching to get back to the original Kabooki location ever since they finished the new renovations/build out. So with the wives out of town, the timing was perfect.

I set up all the proper arrangements and off we go. As for being the guy who organized it, you would of course expect me to be the first to arrive, right?..nope, this knucklehead was dead last.

I pop in and immediately see the boys set up at the best table in the house across the room…as I make my grand entrance, styled out, wine bag in tow, I notice all the heads inside the packed restaurant turning my direction. It was like some superstar had just entered the building…only to come to find out it was for some other dude walking behind me. Lol [head-bang.gif]

Proper greetings, fist bumps all around and then I look down…WTF?..let me back track a sec. Earlier in the day I text Roberts best friend Roy to see if he could just bring some bubbles…I was thinking he would bring something decent but, ummmm, I was not expecting a 2004 Krug Clos Du Mesnil…WHOA!..then I pan over and peep the Vatan Clos de Neore. Rainbows and Unicorns are abound!!

After thinking about what I had brought I figured the rest was all downhill from here, but I was pleased that the 3 burgs performed quite well.

Now, I must say Orlando is a poor location for a burg lover and I bought the two grand cru’s locally. After being a strong Bordeaux lover of many years I am now finding myself purchasing more burgs of late. FYI, I am no expert by any means.

First bottle we popped was

**2005 Patrice Rion Charmes Chambertain :**I have two bottles and considering Charmes is probably the earliest drinking Chambertain GC vineyard, I figured now might be a good time to check it out.

This was probably the shyest wine of the 3, but had a nice flavor profile, def. getting some savory mushroom notes, red fruits, damp soil and cool wet leaves. Not a big powerful wine by any means, instead it had smooth lines, maybe a tad reserved for a GC. Though I found it quite enjoyable.

2010 Maison Champy Echezeaux: this had more of the GC power, both red and dark fruit focused, some savory earthiness, oak and hints of spice. This showed fairly well

1996 Tollot 1er Beaune Greves: Now, I know there appears to be some controversy with the ‘96 vintage.No controversy for me, this is currently my favorite burg vintage. Granted, a much smaller sample size then some other members, but it has garnered my attention of late and this wine was one example. I drank one of these a couple months back and really took a liking to it. This has great power, complimented by its meaty, rustic, earthy charm. This had that more masculine sauvage character that I am attracted to. This has evolved nicely, displaying some interesting secondary and tertiary character. Unfortunately, this wine was not 100% on its game. It appeared a tad compromised w/ traces of (not unlike Robert, judging by all the bathroom breaks) previous leakage. Still it drank well and I believe this was Roberts red WOTN. [cheers.gif]

In the end, our group and the staff all sang Robert a warm Happy Birthday. We brought out cute little birthday hats, balloons, ice-cream cake, streamers and made it quite the party. Robert was gushing and just tickled to death by the overwhelming thrill of the moment …ok, ok, this last part never happened. [snort.gif]

For an impromptu dinner this night was 5 stars. Looking forward to the big bash this weekend.

Ha, unlike your slovenly arse, the big guy gets up at 5 AM to go cycling and sweat out the poison! Well, somehow I lollygagged around all morning and rode in the afternoon. And you were still lounging.

Killer evening, best table in the house, and you bastards don’t even break out the dancing Satyrs for my burhday pre-party. PS. Properly taper for Friday night. You are gonna hurt.