Preferred daily use corkscrew?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jeff Johannsmeyer

Preferred daily use corkscrew?

#1 Post by Jeff Johannsmeyer »

I know this has been discussed in the past, but "corkscrew" generates way too many hits in the search function...

What's your preferred daily use corkscrew for wines of medium age (say 5-15 years)? I've used a trusty Le Creuset Screwpull for years, but the worm is in need of replacement so I thought I'd see what's new.

I have a Durand for older bottles, and it's great for that purpose, but not quite as quick and easy as a lever.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Preferred daily use corkscrew?

#2 Post by Paul McCourt »

For 'everyday', non-cork-issue wine, I just grab one of the random waiter's corkscrew out of the drawer without thinking about it.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by mattcitrang »

I’ve been using a “Pneumatic Wine Bottle Opener - Air Pump Needle No Cork Screw for the past 2 years. So much easier than a cork screw. On tougher bottles I use a conventional cork screw.
Ace Citrang10

Alex Valdes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Alex Valdes »

I use a Laguiole En Aubrac key daily and Durand for older.

*Edit for specificity*
Last edited by Alex Valdes on November 15th, 2020, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Nate Simon »

mattcitrang wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:05 pm I’ve been using a “Pneumatic Wine Bottle Opener - Air Pump Needle No Cork Screw for the past 2 years. So much easier than a cork screw. On tougher bottles I use a conventional cork screw.
I grab my Coutale for anything under 10 years old.
Matt, I have certainly seen the pneumatic ones. Any brand that you have found particularly good?

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Paul McCourt wrote: November 14th, 2020, 1:56 pm For 'everyday', non-cork-issue wine, I just grab one of the random waiter's corkscrew out of the drawer without thinking about it.
This. I have at least 20 of them, probably twice that if I search all my purses and wine totes and suitcases. My favorite is one with the Moore Brothers logo on it, no idea of the brand. It's sturdy and the little blade is a good shape. That plus an ah-so covers nearly everything. I don't have or feel the need for a Durand.

I was given a Laguiole in a fancy leather case, which I almost never use. I'm sure it cost a lot and it's pretty, but doesn't work all that well.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Ron F r e e d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Ron F r e e d »

I agree with Sarah about the Laguiole. It sure looks nice and feels sturdy in my hand, but a standard double-hinged (my Laguiole is single-hinged) waiter's corkscrew I bought on Amazon for $10-12 ea are my regular go-to unless the wine is older. In those cases, I use the Ah-So or Durand.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by mattcitrang »

Nate Simon wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:23 pm
mattcitrang wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:05 pm I’ve been using a “Pneumatic Wine Bottle Opener - Air Pump Needle No Cork Screw for the past 2 years. So much easier than a cork screw. On tougher bottles I use a conventional cork screw.
Matt, I have certainly seen the pneumatic ones. Any brand that you have found particularly good?
My DIL gave me this as a stocking stuffer on Christmas. No visible brand markings. It was probably less than $10. It works great. Some Italian bottles are too tight, but I can tell right away. (Too many pumps and cork doesn’t move). I’ve opened at least 300+ bottles without any difficulty.
56E97C13-9F17-493C-84D1-1338186F86B2.jpeg
Ace Citrang10

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Eric White »

standard double-hinged waiter's corkscrew, hard to beat it.

I. Howe
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by I. Howe »

A Campagnolo corkscrew. Other than a waiter's corkscrew for the purposes of traveling, the Campy corkscrew is the only one I have ever owned.
Ian Howe

Marcus Dean

#11 Post by Marcus Dean »

just replace the worm in your screwpull

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

Rabbit for most everything; waiter’s double for synthetic; Ah-so for the problem children.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by M.Kaplan »

Coutale Sommelier double lever hinged corkscrew. There are several models; I prefer those that have a teflon coated worm. $20-ish from Amazon.
---Mark

bretrooks

#14 Post by bretrooks »

One more fan of the Coutale Sommelier here, although I have several Pulltap's standard double-hinged corkscrews which I also use frequently. The Ah-so comes out when we open an old bottle, but we don't have many of those, so it mostly sits in the bottom of the bin.
Bret R., Intrepid QPR Explorer

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

My everyday is a hicoup, Durand for older stuff.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Nate Simon »

mattcitrang wrote: November 14th, 2020, 3:09 pm
My DIL gave me this as a stocking stuffer on Christmas. No visible brand markings. It was probably less than $10. It works great. Some Italian bottles are too tight, but I can tell right away. (Too many pumps and cork doesn’t move). I’ve opened at least 300+ bottles without any difficulty.
Matt, does it work well for older bottles with questionable corks?

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by mattcitrang »

Nate Simon wrote: November 14th, 2020, 3:59 pm
mattcitrang wrote: November 14th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Matt, does it work well for older bottles with questionable corks?
I’ve had it work on some, usually I can tell right away when the pump won’t be the best option and then use a screw pull.
Ace Citrang10

J D o v e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by J D o v e »

Coravin attached to a food grade argon tank.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

I've used the same Rabbit winged corkscrew for about 15 years. I like that I can easily control how gentle or firm the cork gets pulled. Even when a cork breaks, I can almost always pull out the remainder. Has only let me down a couple of times.

Here is the newest version:
WingCorkscrew_W4041N_1.jpg
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Kevin Porter »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Paul McCourt wrote: November 14th, 2020, 1:56 pm For 'everyday', non-cork-issue wine, I just grab one of the random waiter's corkscrew out of the drawer without thinking about it.
This. I have at least 20 of them, probably twice that if I search all my purses and wine totes and suitcases. My favorite is one with the Moore Brothers logo on it, no idea of the brand. It's sturdy and the little blade is a good shape. That plus an ah-so covers nearly everything. I don't have or feel the need for a Durand.

I was given a Laguiole in a fancy leather case, which I almost never use. I'm sure it cost a lot and it's pretty, but doesn't work all that well.
My day to day was the same for years, until I lost the Moore Brothers key. Now it’s some cheap replacement from Amazon. I have a bunch of screwpull knockoffs but prefer the sommelier’s tool.

I lack the dexterity to combine it with my ah-so, so I finally splurged on a Durand

KenL.

#21 Post by KenL. »

M.Kaplan wrote: November 14th, 2020, 3:39 pm Coutale Sommelier double lever hinged corkscrew. There are several models; I prefer those that have a teflon coated worm. $20-ish from Amazon.
Another vote for this one. Love it for the price.
Lobel

Dan Kravitz
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#22 Post by Dan Kravitz »

Eric White wrote: November 14th, 2020, 3:12 pm standard double-hinged waiter's corkscrew, hard to beat it.
+1

FWIW, Laguiole isn't a type of corkscrew, it isn't even a brand, it's a place (I've been there). It's a town justly famous for cutlery, more recently corkscrews. The bee is a symbol of the town and some of the forges belong to a consortium which has exclusive rights to use the name 'Laguiole' with the bee symbol. I've used dozens of corkscrews from the town, some with the bee, some without. Corkscrew quality depends on the producer, design and engineering.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Matt Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Matt Allen »

Monopol

I have a Durand but I never need to use it.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

The coutale is similar to the Le creuset that I use. I’d recommend the coutale, the Le creuset version is no longer made.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Rich Brown »

Alex Valdes wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:22 pm I use a Laguiole key daily and Durand for older.
Yep, this is the move!

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Rich Brown wrote: November 14th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Alex Valdes wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:22 pm I use a Laguiole key daily and Durand for older.
Yep, this is the move!
I have one of the Laguiole but used it once and didn’t like it. I’ll have to try it again. The trouble with the Durand is remembering to use it.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Rick Allen »

The insect on a Laguiole is a cigale, not a bee.

I use a standard waiters corkscrew for just about everything.

EAScrog
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by EAScrog »

Patrick T a y l o r wrote: November 14th, 2020, 5:59 pm I've used the same Rabbit winged corkscrew for about 15 years. I like that I can easily control how gentle or firm the cork gets pulled. Even when a cork breaks, I can almost always pull out the remainder. Has only let me down a couple of times.

Here is the newest version:

WingCorkscrew_W4041N_1.jpg
I have the same as Patrick's. Very easy to use, has never failed me yet. For years I used a waiter's and an ah-so.
But these days I like the leverage I get with winged corkscrews.

I have one of the fancy Rabbit corkscrews, but never use it. Too bulky.
e l i z a B e t h

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by MikeHill »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: November 14th, 2020, 7:33 pm
Rich Brown wrote: November 14th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Yep, this is the move!
I have one of the Laguiole but used it once and didn’t like it. I’ll have to try it again. The trouble with the Durand is remembering to use it.
This. I love my Durand, works like a charm. It’s too bad I usually remember that after I pull out half a cork.

John S

#30 Post by John S »

For simple and ease of use the Coutale is my favorite due to the dual hinge and good build quality. There are tons of ripoffs which work for a bit but always break and are prone to slipping off the rim eventually. The coutale is the only one of this dual hinge design that actually lasts. It is $20 and my goto if opening quite a few bottles.

"Innovation Waiters Corkscrew By Coutale Sommelier"

With that said what I use everyday and have for over 10 years is a Laguiole En Aubrac Wine Opener. As mentioned Laguiole means little as you have to know each maker. Not unlike Champagne where one needs to know who the producer is. I own a few of this brand and the build the the best. I find used ones on Ebay occasionally and they popped up on massdrop a year or so ago and that was posted here. One can be found for $125 or a bit less used. It is great piece of gear and IMHO the best of the "Laguiole" labeled wine openers.

There was a fantastic forum piece posted on all the Laguiole makers here or on the old Parker board many years ago. That is where I learned about En Aubrac as a great producer on Laguiole wine openers.
John Sprow

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Warren Taranow »

Jeff Johannsmeyer wrote: November 14th, 2020, 1:50 pm I know this has been discussed in the past, but "corkscrew" generates way too many hits in the search function...

What's your preferred daily use corkscrew for wines of medium age (say 5-15 years)? I've used a trusty Le Creuset Screwpull for years, but the worm is in need of replacement so I thought I'd see what's new.

I have a Durand for older bottles, and it's great for that purpose, but not quite as quick and easy as a lever.
Jeff,
I'm with you. Screwpull for every day, Durand for older corks. Trader Joes double-hinged waiter's corkscrew for travel.
Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Ok not just because I'm a cyclist, but the Campagnola Big is an awesome corkscrew. Super well made, durable, and rock solid platform. I like the fat screw as well to increase penetration into and grip of the cork. Minimal failure in quality corks. And very easy extraction. I use Durand for anything 15 years or older or if the cork looks sketchy.

32D3EE16-5C10-45E3-B2A4-E4DD90C894F4.jpeg
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Kevin Porter wrote: November 14th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:37 pm

My day to day was the same for years, until I lost the Moore Brothers key.
I have several. If we finally get together once this s--t is over and done, you can have one. :)
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by HoosJustinG »

I have a waiters double hinge from Corison that is great - super sharp worm and double hinge is great. Sometimes I also use the wine enthusiast legacy opener that sits on top of my kitchen wine fridge, but since I have basically no “hands on” control of that one, I really only use it for bottles ~5 years and younger.

Anything older than 10-15 years gets Monopol ah so or Durand. I misplaced my Durand at some point, so lately mostly ah so for older bottles but I also almost lost a cork recently into the bottle (of not THAT old wine—99 Mayacamas), so that shocked me into ordering another Durand.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Rich Brown »

John S wrote: November 15th, 2020, 6:18 am For simple and ease of use the Coutale is my favorite due to the dual hinge and good build quality. There are tons of ripoffs which work for a bit but always break and are prone to slipping off the rim eventually. The coutale is the only one of this dual hinge design that actually lasts. It is $20 and my goto if opening quite a few bottles.

"Innovation Waiters Corkscrew By Coutale Sommelier"

With that said what I use everyday and have for over 10 years is a Laguiole En Aubrac Wine Opener. As mentioned Laguiole means little as you have to know each maker. Not unlike Champagne where one needs to know who the producer is. I own a few of this brand and the build the the best. I find used ones on Ebay occasionally and they popped up on massdrop a year or so ago and that was posted here. One can be found for $125 or a bit less used. It is great piece of gear and IMHO the best of the "Laguiole" labeled wine openers.

There was a fantastic forum piece posted on all the Laguiole makers here or on the old Parker board many years ago. That is where I learned about En Aubrac as a great producer on Laguiole wine openers.
Yep, that Massdrop deal was great! Thanks again to whoever posted the PSA on that!

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#36 Post by Dave McIsaac »

This, with a Durand as back-up......
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Michael_D

#37 Post by Michael_D »

I always use a butler's friend. Once I figured out how to use one, I only use the standard screw type opener for my wax covered corks.

I had no idea they had a real name......or came in so many variations till I searched some of the names noted in this thread. The ones I've been buying are usually cheap plastic openers. That Durand looks pretty slick.
D - Drew

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Al Osterheld »

The one I use most often is a Rabbit (Metrokane) Two Step similar to the Coutale Innovation. They are $8-$9 at Bevmo, so I bought several to put in various bags. I combine with a Metropol ah-so for a poor man's Durant with older bottles. I've never broken one.

-Al

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by alan weinberg »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:37 pm That plus an ah-so covers nearly everything. I don't have or feel the need for a Durand.
not till that Ah-so pushes a cork into a prized older bottle and becomes an Ah-shit.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by alan weinberg »

waiter’s corkscrew and a Durand backup when out and about, Screwpull at home, Durand for older wines.

david paly

#41 Post by david paly »

Old Screwpull for young, Durand for old. Just replaced the screw on the levered device and its soooo smooth. Sometimes will use a CO2 injector to loosen up really antique corks and then Durand them if they dont pop on the first squirt. Was lucky to get a long screw Durand from JFTlOP and works great on old bdx with really well endowed corks.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Warren Taranow »

david paly wrote: November 15th, 2020, 1:41 pm ...lucky to get a long screw Durand from JFTlOP
I'm not familiar with that acronym. I have two Durands (replaced a lost one that was later found), but occasionally wish they had a longer worm.

WT
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by John Glas »

Rabbit for most everything; waiter’s double for synthetic; Ah-so for the problem children.
Rabbit works really well for those goofy wax capsule bottles. What a mess!

david paly

#44 Post by david paly »

Jus for the love of port.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by RichardFlack »

Alessi ‘waiters corkscrew’ (the parrot - double lever, longish thread, convenient blade closing mechanism, I have this in various designs). Basic screwpull and Butlers thief on stand-by for older corks. I have had a few rabbits, but probably not full quality - Ive always found then slightly dodgy mechanically especially on newer corks.

My favourite used to be a simple basic very long screw that was embedded in a vine root that by craftsmanship or luck was a perfect fit in my hand. The long screw was perfect for Bordeaux bottles etc. Total comfort and total control. But after some 40 years of use metal fatigue set in and it broke. It was a gift (and a long time ago) so haven’t tried to replace. Have the handle as a souvenir of many happy bottles, my wife actually framed it. Correction - had it framed LOL.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by RichardFlack »

Wax - the trick is to warm the wax with the palm of your hand before inserting the screw.

Brent C l a y t o n

#47 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

So, the OP kind of changes the parameters by qualifying that his 'everyday' wines are 5-15 years old.

I am ITB and my 'everyday' wines are generally current vintage (1-4yrs old) samples. I have all manner of double hinge waiters corkscrews lying around and they are just fine for this purpose. I looked at a few and the brand names are: Pulltaps, Pulltex, Coutale Sommelier Premium, and Murano. Generally I use these for older wines also. I am not very good with the ah-so. I do have a Screwpull somewhere, and I used my cousin's at her place tonight and was reminded how easy and convenient it is. If I have a really old wine I am usually with a group, so somebody will have a better corkscrew than I do. I need to acquire a Durand.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Rodrigo B »

RichardFlack wrote: November 15th, 2020, 4:18 pm Wax - the trick is to warm the wax with the palm of your hand before inserting the screw.
I prefer not to warm the wax up, tends to make a mess of the worm at times. When the wax is cold, it’s much more brittle and easier to chip off. So I just pierce through it, pull slightly and knock off all the wax on the top of the cork and neck
B r a g a

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by RichardFlack »

Rodrigo B wrote: November 15th, 2020, 4:35 pm
RichardFlack wrote: November 15th, 2020, 4:18 pm Wax - the trick is to warm the wax with the palm of your hand before inserting the screw.
I prefer not to warm the wax up, tends to make a mess of the worm at times. When the wax is cold, it’s much more brittle and easier to chip off. So I just pierce through it, pull slightly and knock off all the wax on the top of the cork and neck

I’m not suggesting melting the wax!! Just 20 seconds with palm of hand. Seems to have it break into larger chunks. But my experience is limited - Dom Roche de Bellene and Julien Brocard mainly in terms of current cellar but various other odd bottles. Very curious for other people’s tips.

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Rodrigo B »

RichardFlack wrote: November 15th, 2020, 4:38 pm
Rodrigo B wrote: November 15th, 2020, 4:35 pm

I’m not suggesting melting the wax!! Just 20 seconds with palm of hand. Seems to have it break into larger chunks. But my experience is limited - Dom Roche de Bellene and Julien Brocard mainly in terms of current cellar but various other odd bottles. Very curious for other people’s tips.
I know. Maybe it's just me, but my experience with simply rubbing the wax with the palm of my hands for a short bit tended to leave the worm coated in wax. After that happens, I've found it nearly impossible to get it off. With one corkscrew I basically stripped off the entire teflon coating trying to get the wax off. I’ve found that piercing through the wax cold without rubbing it yielded better results. The wax isn’t softened and is brittle so it breaks clean off and you can just knock off the pieces of it after pulling the cork off slightly to ensure no wax falls into the bottle. Those wax tops are always a pain, so go with whatever works best for you.
B r a g a

Return to “Wine Talk”