TN: Two Nebbiolos...(short/boring)

Tried these two last week:

1. Franco Conterno Nebbiolo DOC: Langhe Cascina Sciulun (14%; www.Vinotas-Selections.com; Vinotas Slctns) Franco Conterno/Bussia diMonforte d’Alba 2017: Med.dark color; lightly earthy fairly fragrant Nebb/floral/lilacs very slightly pungent/tarry some complex nose; very tart/tangy/very acidic light floral/Nebb/lilacs/violets some dusty/earthy rather sour flavor w/ some hard/fierce/bitey tannins; long light Nebb/lilacs/floral very acidic/sour finish w/ light fierce/hard tannins; a pleasant enough Nebb nose but rather hurtey on the palate; not offer up much joy to drink; not sure what age will do for this. The next day was even more fiercely tannic, breathing did not help. $26.00 (AV)

1. Harrington Nebbiolo LunaMattaVnyd/PasoRobles (13.5%) 2016: Med.color; beautiful floral/Nebb/lilacs/violets/rose petal very slight tarry/pungent slightly ripe/jammy light pencilly/oak quite fragrant lovely nose; somewhat tart/tangy fairly floral/Nebb/lilacs/violets very light tarry/pungent/road tar bit pencilly/oak bit complex flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long fairly floral/Nebb/lilacs somewhat acidic/angular/hard light pencilly/oak finish w/ some tangy/hard tannins; quite an interesting/attractive Calif Nebb w/ lovely perfume but becomming a bit hard on the palate; more like an Alto Piemonte Nebb than anything. $23.33

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Conterno: Though it does not state so on the Conterno WebSite, given it’s from Vinotas Slctns, I presume this is a natural wine. But it certainly did not display any natty character. But it was just too acidic & tannic on the palate to offer up much pleasure.

1. Harrington: This is typically one of my favorite Calif Nebbs. Typically fairly rich and along the lines of Valtelline Nebb. I’ve not had this Nebb in over a yr but it seems to be a lot harder & angular on the palate than I recall it. Still, I think it should mature well w/ additional age.
    Tom

You always complain about the tannins in nebbiolo, but you keep coming back for more, you masochist, you.

Funny. Bryan always wanted more tannin and acid. He’d bought a couple Slovenian botti, which he was working to get neutral before using with Neb, intending to go even more serious. They did seem to get better and better each vintage. The '08, his first attempt, always seemed disjointed to me. Easily outclassed by the rest. Then at the open house last year it had finally come around and was impressive. Optimistic how mine will show with similar age.

I opened a bottle of the 2008 Harrington Nebbiolo a few weeks ago, and it was in a great spot.

-Al