Kelley Fox - no 2020 reds

From the email.

“I can’t type these words without tears, and I haven’t talked about it, but I’m not releasing any red wines from 2020. Ok. I finally said it.”

Really bad luck for them. She does imply that they will make it through financially.

Sorry to hear that, they make some great wines. Really enjoyed our time with Dustin in October and looking forward to 2019/2021!

Sad news indeed. I do appreciate the optimism, hope and gratitude expressed in the face of such loss, however.
The email came with an offer of the 2019 Maresh. Looking forward to trying one soon.

I was fortunate to buy 2018 Maresh Vineyard, Star of Bethlehem Flower Block, Pinot Noir that Dustin offered in the Quarantine Relief page. Certainly one of the best Oregon pinots I have ever tasted.

Very sad to read this. We just had a really terrific 2012 screw-top and my wife, the avowed Pinot-hater, was like why don’t we have more of these!

That is very sad to hear. 2020 just sucks.

I’m not in the loop. Why? Fires?

Smoke. The Dundee Hills got hit hard. We won’t have any single vineyard Pinots and only 1 wine that we bottle in the normal course of business and that will likely be around 1,000 cases.

Well, that sucks too, Jim

Sorry to hear it

Oregon winegrowers/makers know their reputation is at stake and releasing a smoke tainted wine as their flagship will fail. Growers also know that the prudent thing to do is split the loss with the winemaker. We must support those who choose the right path! Thank you Kelly!

+1
Bummer.

Wow. Bummer to hear both KF and Jim.

Is this widespread willamette valley or Dundee hills vineyards?

Awful news.

RT

I’m really interested to hear more about the Vermouth though!

In emailing with Dustin, I did also get a confirmation that they’re in for Berserker Day this year and that there will be a lot of cool whites from them, which she does really well IMO.

Wow. I had gotten that impression in talking through my fall allocation selections with the staff but I didn’t realize it would be that widespread for y’all as well. Really sorry to hear that, Jim.

While there was no escaping it certainly some areas got denser and longer stayed smoke than other places. I certainly cannot speak for any swath of folks but the Dundee Hills sites were particularly impacted IMO. There’s no winery not dealing with some aspect of it,‘I am quite certain of that.

:’( that’s just awful to hear… Hope the weather gods bounces back with a glorious 2021 and beyond!

Is there any way or worth to working or experimenting with the smoke tainted fruit or is it just a straight loss?

Kelly Fox said that some of her wine is being made into Vermouth. That must be about a 90% reduction in value.
She did say that the lost harvest won’t put her or the growers out of business.

I was privy to an email that Ted Lemon of Littorai sent to a winemaker up here when the fires began. One sentence initially posted me off but now I see the sad wisdom in it. That sentence was, “Hope is your enemy.”

Jim, I’m sorry for you and everyone in the area. Just yesterday I got my latest two cases of Patty Green. I guess I’ll have to get drinking so I restock sooner.

This is a bummer because Kelley said the fruit looked great. Wishing all in Oregon the best here. I am buying the 19s and will support in any way I can.