TN: 2018 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese #8

• 2018 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese #8 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (11/12/2020)
    Sadly, the cork pushed up half way through the capsule. My guess it was a month or two in this condition. I contemplated what to do for a short time after. Then I decided the safest thing was to open it and hope it wasn’t compromised. To my great happiness, the bottle was absolutely riveting, superb! This thing was gorgeous aromatically; it had aromas of honeysuckle, and sweet smelling orange blossom, pungent grapefruit flesh, and maybe something green and fresh, like sweet grass or some perception like that. In the mouth the wine had so many qualities. On one hand it was delicious, and almost thirst quenching, what with its freshness, and liveliness, and its joy to have fresh air. On the other hand, it was sharp, and piercing, with mineral, slatey mineral, and sharp, but sweet and easy, tangerine and grapefruit, and maybe a hint of something akin to sweet coriander. It was so filling, and weightless at the same time… my daughter and I made easy work of this beauty, only regretting not saving a little back to see how it was the next day! (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

What a way to start the day! Had GG on the mind for an upcoming dim sum lunch with a super famous wine influencer, and I see this gorgeous tasting note! Charlie…please write us more often! It’s only 7:51 am and now I want Riesling…

Thanks Todd! I appreciate that. I believe you both would love this wine!

I need to find it to go over this note. Should do an online tasting and you lead it, dude. Seriously.

Fantastic note. Shaefer rules

Great note Charlie - mouth is watering…

Excellent notes! I need to try more Willi Schaefer

nice note, thanks for posting.

I only have 2 of these, so I think I’ll wait, but this note makes it a bit harder to do so.

Sounds great. I don’t buy much of their Graacher Himmelreich but maybe I should! Their wines really show well young.

Great note, Charlie. Everyone needs more Schaefer, even me (my second largest holding).