Baller Wine Dinner

We have a small wine group that normally meets every three months or so to drink really great wines. Covid had put a kibosh on that since March but we finally got together last night at one of our member’s restaurants. Al fresco the weather was perfect. Every wine showed beautifully:

Krug NV 164th from mag
Fantastic as always. This was a great way to start and a great way to finish.

1982 Dunn Howell Mtn Napa Valley
What an amazing wine. Just indestructible. The nose blind I would guess Margaux. Just the sweet fruit on the midpalate gives this away as Napa. Licorice was the theme. I had opened at home to make sure it was sound and broke the cork. DOH! Decanted and brought to restaurant so we put it first in the lineup. Was still going strong at end of evening. Wow.

1989 Palmer Margaux
Great foil to the Dunn. Earthy nose and jam packed with Margaux goodness. Again, a touch of licorice, leather and pepper. Silky tannins on the long finish.

1990 Conseillante Pomerol
This was the sleeper of the evening. I had gone through a full case years ago and always found it to be a very solid wine in the vintage. I kept going back to this and saying “that’s really good”.

1990 Beasejour Duffau Lagarosse St Emillion
Fabled wine. Solid performance though I have had better bottles. Opulent and rich but not at all heavy. Really long and balanced.

2003 Ausone St Emillion
A big wine. Deep black fruits and mocha on the palate. Violets on the nose which I always seem to get with Ausone. Not over ripe or baked like some 2003s. Great wine.

1986 Ch. Lafite Rothschild Pauillac
Pretty much WOTN. Classic Pauillac with dark fruit, cassis, graphite and leather. Still youthful but in a perfect spot. Wow!

2009 Screaming Eagle
This would have been out of place no matter where we put it in the lineup but I am glad it was there. Very young as the oak still needs 10 more years to fully integrate. But this was pure class in the glass. Lots of red shifted fruits. Bright acidity gives it nice lift. Very elegant and polished.

A little more Krug and it was time to call the helicopter. champagne.gif

Nice notes!

I have one bottle of 1989 Palmer, given to me by the person who bought it on release, and kept in perfect storage. Going to try to hold it for 9 more years to have for our 40th anniversary.

Yea that Palmer was sneaky good. Palmer used to be affordable. Prices have been getting up there.

82 Dunn HM was my first ever case purchase. $12.50 a bottle. I had to steady my writing hand with the other as I wrote the check at LA Wine Co.

Wow, what a lineup! Had that 82’ Howell a month back, it was fantastic, far from decline.

Any left? Oh to have a full case today.

long gone.

Amazing notes, Kelly, but these two are my favorite :slight_smile:. Love, love the enthusiasm for those early 80s Dunn Howell… I love that these wines got made/exist in this world. Particularly appropriate given the ongoing threads about current Cali’s and aging. Adore this style of wine, and love that this was particularly bottle was on song with so much joy.

'90 Conseillante and I have had some special days and I am sooooo glad it showed well and reminded everyone of its ongoing qualities. Amazing evening of drinking, clearly, when these two stars are showing so well and there’s another WOTN on the table besides. Hat tip for such a great lineup with so much beauty.

Thanks for the great notes Kelly. I think that 82 Dunn is pretty terrific. Those other wines were OK as well :slight_smile:.

Hope you are well my friend.

T

Nice lineup

I remember the Blind Tasting of 2003 Bordeaux with the Grand Jury Europeen. The 2003 Ausone was my wine of the vintage.

Nice to hear that 1986 Lafite and 1989 Palmer did come around lately. The bottles I had from both wines have been always to young. Even from half bottle.

The 1990 La Conseillante is a hedonistic dream. I like the wine most when it was about 15 years old.

Jürgen, good to see you posting. I remember that tasting. This dinner was certainly an embarrassment of riches but I did not blush.

Quite a lineup! Thanks for the notes

Thanks for sharing. Really great notes, but the picture and seeing all of these wines together gave me a big FOMO. Hope one day I can taste some of these wines. Cheers!

We have such an amazing group of friends that are passionate about enjoying the best wines. Everyone digs deep when we get together.

Great lineup. Thanks for the notes.