Massandra up for auction?!

Having quite a bunch of the Sothebys auctioned Massandras in my cellar, dating back as far as mid 19th century, I was quite shocked to read this…

Suppose we can’t talk about this because “it’s political”, but I guess cronyism lives on throughout the world.

Founded and built by RUSSIAN QUEEN after RUSSIAN EMPIRE and RUSSIAN ARMY took Krym (Crimea in Western speak) from Ottoman Empire. When word “ukraine” did not even exist in any shape or form (first ever use was in 1914). Turks even tried to take it back, with the help of Western Europe, and failed, RUSSIAN EMPIRE and RUSSIAN army held it. Look up how “balaklava” became a word in English language. Then take a look at the map. Still there. RUSSIAN held city back then, and still is. With not a word of “ukrainian” uttered anywhere, by anyone.

Hell, you wouldn’t hear a word of “ukrainian” in Krym until after the break up of USSR, and pretty much no one there would understand any even if spoke it to them. Add KIEV to the list, BTW, NO ONE SPOKE “ukrainian” in my time there, and even their Duma today conducts business in RUSSIAN when cameras are not on.

Please explain what is “Ukrainian” about the winery and what, exactly, is the issue with winery founded and built by RUSSIANS now sold by Russia, if that’s what they want to do. Keep in mind that I was born in so called “Ukraine”, still read/speak the language, and know the history of the place better than the rest of the board combined.

Go.

Well, it was founded and run by Russians for a few decades, then was in Ukrainian ownership and under the state protection for almost a century.

Doesn’t seem to have much protection anymore under Russian ownership.

But I’d say about a hundred years of ownership and rise to global acclaim might lend some weight and credibility. However, I’m not eager to start an argument or total sheetstorm over here, so maybe I’ll just let this thread be.

That’s a purely propagandist website without a word that has any rooting in reality… [wow.gif]

“… it was founded and run by Russians for a few decades, then was in Ukrainian ownership and under the state protection for almost a century.”
Actually, it’s exactly the opposite - built and run by the Russian Tzars and Soviet Union for over a century, then was a part of Ukraine for 25 years…
Most of that time it actually was in private ownership and had absolutely no state protection whatsoever.
Read about it - it’s got fascinating history!

"… wines were sold at Sotheby’s, and had won around 250 gold medals… " - all those wines date from either the Russian Empire times or Soviet times. Nothing of value was produced there during the Ukrainian time of ownership.

It’s actually an amazing wine cellar - you can look it up!
Some of the largest caves in the world… champagne.gif

Like I said: political. I guess moderators only think something is “political” if it reaches American shores. [head-bang.gif]

My initial post was completely non-political.

It will be interesting to see if this winery goes from public to privately owned; especially for such institutions this is not “always” for the better.

Actually, everything produced at Massandra for the past 60-70 odd years is a huge drop off in quality when compared to its glory days of Russian Empire. My guess is they have no one left there who really knows much about growing and producing great wine, so why not cash out and call it a day. Same as when Stalin exterminated wholesale all the farmers in the '30s, entire wine producing industry was also affected in same way.

No wonder most of the “wine” in Soviet days was called “ink”, and was considered the lowest equivalent of drinking due to its seriously bad quality, those who could not afford even the cheap vodka resorted to drinking “ink” at what, 78 kopeeks per bottle? Portvein, the liver killer.

My grandfather used to drink wine, also made by a (small) producer in Krym, but not Massandra, at least they were limited production and more expensive and, actually, drinkable. My take on the sale is that Russia wants to cash in on Massandra name while it still has some value (in the eyes of the West), Krym now has a bunch of small producers making way better wines than Massandra. Even one called BALAKLAVA (funny).

Has nothing to do with politics. But plenty to do with HISTORICAL FACTS. I seriously despise latter days Russia with their increasingly anti-semitic rhetoric bordering on fanatical. But as history student, not just recent but ancient as well, I will the first to defend historical facts and speak out against re-writing history. Massandra was founded and built by Russians, let’s leave it up to them to decide its fate, and discard all the made up BS that in no way, shape or form reflects reality.

Sotheby’s just offered a selection of these for sale at retail today…

After the fall of the Soviet Union a bunch of these hit the market and I bought a bunch and had a tasting in the early 2000’s. From memory I think the sweet spot of their wines in the Soviet regime was the late 20’s to mid 30’s. My notes are long gone but the tasting was eye opening for myself and guests. They were up with the best dessert wines that I have ever tasted. I am thankful that these were hidden from the Germans and survived.

1 Like

Very cool…any recollection of which bottling specifically it was?

Historically speaking, how does the genocide of the Tartars figure in?

Must be lock down effect leading to mental instability settling in…

Not Stern, but on the 1930’s Massandras, I’ve tasted 1931 Massandra Tokay Ai Danil, 1933 Massandra Kagor Ayu Dag and 1936 Massandra White Port Style from Cabernet Sauvignon. All were spectacular.

Sounds like mass discarding of tartartrates, aka. cream of tartar.

I suppose you mean tatars?