TNs: Barthod BR, Dauvissat Forest, Krug MV

2005 Barthod Bourgogne Rouge

Impressive color and concentration for a 15-year-old regional wine. There is some noticeable development on the nose - a mushroomy, loamy quality to the wine which I find quite pleasant. The palate is still full of bright red fruit, and amazingly there is still noticeable tannic structure here. There isn’t significant complexity here, but this is a joy to drink and impressive for the level.

2011 Dauvissat Chablis 1er La Forest

This opens as classic Dauvissat - steely, minty, saline. Fresh and flinty. This isn’t showing its age save for some roundness in the palate, but I think that this is suffering from a lack of youthful vibrance. This is almost a touch watery in the beginning, but almost immediately opens up. Perhaps a slight lack of concentration here? Most likely I think I caught this at a bad time.

Krug Grande Cuvée 168

2012 base. Rather young at the moment - there is a wall of intense, lemony acidity on the palate. Fresh, lively, energetic. A touch briochey, some roundness and depth, but presently this is defined by acid. Easy to drink on an unseasonably warm day.

Sounds like a fun evening, especially 15 year old Bourgogne Rouge.

It was a solid set of wines! Nothing showed spectacularly, but nothing showed poorly either

I’ve had the same issue with Dauvissat’s 2011s. A good percentage has been premixed but even the correct bottles seem to be lacking something. Your “watery” comment is spot on in my experience.

I don’t think age is going to help but would be curious what others with more experience think?

I just don’t think it’s that great of a year. I would much rather have 2010, 12, 14 etc. Not that the non-premoxed ones are bad wines, but they just lack power and concentration.

And this Krug is drinking well. Having it for Thanksgiving dinner.

'05 Barthod Batons is drinking very well indeed, and I think it is punching considerably above its weight…All the other Barthod 05s are not quite ready to drink yet.

-mark

Similar experience here with 2011 Dauvissat Preuses earlier this year. Served blind and was shocked when the wine was revealed. Agree with ‘watery’

How did other Chablis producers do in 2011? I’m completely ignorant

2011 Raveneau is great :slight_smile:

[/quote]
Similar experience here with 2011 Dauvissat Preuses earlier this year. Served blind and was shocked when the wine was revealed. Agree with ‘watery’

How did other Chablis producers do in 2011? I’m completely ignorant
[/quote]

2011 Clos was the same…