shipping routes from Los Angeles

Hi,

I bought some wine from a Heritage Auction. They ship from North Hollywood. Hi temperature there now is 65-70 which seems fine for shipping. If they came across the country on I-10, they would go through Houston where the weather is now in the low 80’s. Does anyone know the usual routes FedEx and UPS take coming across the country? I live in MD. I imagine they would go a little north to avoid hurricanes/tropical storms but I have no knowledge about this at all.

Thanks,

Lonnie

From northern Cali, my wine often goes from Gallup, New Mexico straight to Laurel, MD with UPS (ultimate delivery to VA).

I’m wondering more about which interstates they take. Do they drive through Texas or head north before going through Texas.

Hard to predict as mine have been pretty random, mostly northern route through Hodgkins, IL. Lately have been like Justin’s, no details between CA departure scan and destination in PA/MD.

Thanks

I just had a box go from Bakersfield to Arizona, New Mexico and then Oklahoma to Missouri, so who knows.

I agree with others. I have had some random routes from Cali, but mine is being shipped to Indiana.

Yes, often different routes due to who-knows-what shipping logic. But don’t a lot of cross country shipments go by rail for most of the way?

Unless you have an entire trailer full of wine, the route is not likely predictable. Trucking logistics generally solve first for profitability, not necessarily the shortest route. Relatively smaller boxes (like a case of wine) are easy “top off” items that can help fill remaining space in partially loaded trucks heading in the same general direction. When crossing the country West to East, cheapest rate ground shipping can send packages on a zig-zag pattern North and South depending upon available truck space and transit times from hubs.

Honestly, this is why I avoid cross-country ground shipment of wine whenever possible…I’m not saying ground shipping is always bad, but if you’re concerned about temp control at all (including freezing temps in winter) why take the chance? At any time of the year, a box traveling from the Southwest to the Northeast is likely to pass through some significant temperature differences over a typical five day transit period.

This is a generalization, but for the most part FedEx typically ships ground in trucks, while UPS transports via train.

Definitely a generalization, as I see an awful lot of UPS trucks on the road when I’m traveling across the country.

My boxes from LA to MD area usually go FedEx via I-40. Never as far south as Houston.

I see boatloads of UPS and FedEx trucks but I doubt they’re traveling from Reno to chambersburg.

I had fours cases shipped from the same winemaker to Pittsburgh, two went via NM and two via NE, or something like that.