TN: 2016 Domaine Matrot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chalumeaux

2016 Domaine Matrot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chalumeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (11/7/2020)
Opened 3 bottles tonight because I couldn’t figure out what was going on. Initial nose was muted and reductive. Color was darker than I would expect for this vintage. First sip had great body with a piercing, sour lemon peel finish. Thought it might be corked or premoxed so I popped another. Same thing. Decanted the third and my wife tried it and she liked it. She doesn’t like spoiled wine so I quit opening more and set it aside. Given some time it started to open up a bit. Still very disjointed with fruit upfront and a searing acid back end. Needs time or lots of air to integrate. The mouthfeel is lovely with great body. Holding the rest until 2024. Since I killed 3 bottles tonight, I will either be really glad about my full case purchase or really disappointed.

Holding Matrot… bold move

Aren’t they the kings of premox? I’ve never had a white wine from them that wasn’t.

A charitable characterization.

I put Matrot on my DQ list after his 04s didn’t make it to 07.

Damn boys. I knew they tasted premoxed. I just couldn’t believe 3 bottles from 2016… I’m going to take the whole case back to my local guy.

I think you’d be better off narrowing your wb buying a little. The crush PYCM offering today would be a good place to start.

Matrot has been the premox poster child for years. 2005 Meursault Perrieres was brilliant and so delicious on release. A year or two later, it was gone, toast. Fortunately, that was only a $50/bottle lesson, but still painful.

I’ve got tons of PYCM. Always looking for more offers but the US prices are terrible.

Terrible compared to what? What did you pay for this matrot?

Clearly too much lol.

Most of the US offers I’ve seen for PYCM have been rather inflated. The Crush offer yesterday is a good example. I paid $50 for other PYCM Saint Aubin 1er in France. Maybe this one is better quality than those, but twice the price?

A premoxed Matrot? What are the odds? Oh man, I hope all my Leflaive is OK.

It’s worth way more than 2x the price of run of the mill st aubin 1er. That’s a special bottling of the en remilly of which the base bottling is among the best 1er PYCM makes. That’s one of the few white burgs I buy and I load up on it.

Thanks for the heads up. I will try to pick some up.

Matrot is dead for me. A shame since I love Meursault Perrieres. Foolish to buy at any level or price.

I also had a number of premox Matrots from '02, '04 and '05. Unless they’ve changed style or corks, drink them young.

As of last year, they were still only testing diam. Screw-caps are available for lower wines, but unfortunately not their higher offerings…

ridiculous that they can’t use the research and experience of others and instead have to spend another decade or more ruining wine to “test” Diam. Another reason not to buy wine from these idiots.

So my retailer reached out to the distributor and, no surprise, they said they opened 4 bottles the other night for an event and all were wonderful. Guess premox is the house style.

Saw this on sale for $60, figured it was too good to be true, did a search and found this thread. Thanks for saving me $$$ folks.

Jesus, what an awful story. I’m glad at least some good came out of it – Kyle and anyone else reading this knowing not to buy Matrot.