More Loring Oldies

The post below on a Durell pushed me to open a couple of Brian’s oldies. These are from his library sale a couple years ago. I had modest hopes. They are both from Brousseau vineyard up by Chalone. It was always one of my favorite sites for Loring pinots. Brian no longer gets the fruit.

2008 Loring “Brousseau” (Chalone) (SLH) 15.2%. Decent maroon color, slight browning, rusty, one color ring, good clarity, somewhat musty and reticent nose. Blackberry fruit profile, clean finish with some acid, and a little sludge. Overall, a bit tired, but not OTH. I’d call it “fully mature.”

Next up was the 2006 version, which I figured would be shot. Not.

2006 …same nomenclature but only 14.7% alcohol. Nice color, way more vibrant than the 2008. Ruby color, good clarity, one color ring, good legs/viscosity. Nose is black cherries, smooth mid palate with a clean finish, although just a little bitter. This one is drink/hold and in no danger.

Go figure on these. One notable difference is the alcohol. Brian went through a period when he pushed the alcohol to the edge of the envelope, then he backed off. His current wines are much more moderate. This was interesting. Brian always used to advise drinking his wines early, and I think I’m going back to that advice.