TN: 2008 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut (France, Champagne)

2008 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (11/3/2020)
Lives up to the hype, and then some. On par with the brilliant 2008 Dom Perignon and Cristal, and probably the best young CdC I’ve had since the 2002. The nose shows a moderate hint of creaminess, as well as some almond paste, sweet citrus, and a little bit of bread. On the palate, there is a surprisingly generous amount of fruit, giving this a voluptuousness that belies the vintage. So like the 2006, this has a really nice breadth to it, but unlike the 2006, the roundness doesn’t come from the more brown/mushroomy flavours. Then, combine this with the zippy acids of 2007 (which is really the best quality of that wine) and you get a best of both worlds kind of thing. Throw in more extract and raw power, and you’ve got yourself a real winner. The price increase is admittedly obnoxious but the step up in quality over the last two editions seems to be pretty stark. (93 pts.)

Mine are still in the UK, so thank you for the note to tide me over.

Wow, crossing the picket line to give us the TN.

Pretty damn funny!! champagne.gif

This sounds super-yummy, thanks for the splendid note.

Interesting note - “Lives up to the hype, and then some. On par with the brilliant 2008 Dom Perignon and Cristal”. I’ve had the 08 Dom a few times and the Cristal twice and I’d certainly give them more than the 93 points you did, unless that is for current tasting and not future potential.

Must … resist … explaining … joke …

I’ve had a few bottles of the 08 now and it’s a clear step up from the 02 for my tastes. Qualitatively on par with the 96 at release.

Never tasted the 96 on release, but I can see the 08 aging into the same level that well-kept bottles of 96 are at right now.

Picket line? Is there a strike?

I opened a 1996 on my wedding night in September 2019 and if that’s the comparison it’s got a lot to live up to. I can’t say that I would be surprised though given the quality of all the other 2008’s I’ve tasted.

Joke?

joke \ ˈjōk
something said or done to provoke laughter

Joke? I don’t think so.

How about sanctimonious sarcasm?

No, but there is a boycott. Apparently at different price points.

That just sounds like Econ 101 to me…

Yes, the resemblance is uncanny.

Thank you for your service!

got my WHWC delivery so they did honor the $125 price. Unfortunately I didn’t back up the truck. Kudos.

Did they charge you for shipping? They said free shipping only for CA.

I got charged for shipping in CA. They had previously told me free shipping at the time of the order. I didn’t push it. It was cheap, and they are losing money on these bottles anyway.