2016 Barolo Notes (added Vajra Barolo Ravera & Coste di Rose)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 2016 Barolo Notes (added E. Grasso Ginestra Casa Mate)

#101 Post by ChrisJames »

C. Keller wrote: December 5th, 2020, 1:56 pm
Max S. wrote: December 5th, 2020, 1:31 pm
ChrisJames wrote: December 5th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Empire Wine in NY has the 2016 for $42.95. Buy a case and get free shipping. [cheers.gif]
The free shipping is mix and match too - a few good options there
Oooooooooo noooooooo....I swore I was done for December after the 20% off sale at Morrell last week
I'll make it easy for you: get six Nervi Gattinara and six 2019 Trediberri Dogliani Bricco Mollea for $16. Killer QPR Tuesday night juice!!!!

It is always hard to be done shopping for the month when it is only the 5th. [wink.gif]

J D o v e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by J D o v e »

2016 Cavallotto Bricco Boschis
Decanted 2h. Quite dark. Fruity black cherry nose with some rose, iron and a little licorice. Juicy cherry fruit on the palate that meets a wall of big, chewy tannins and bright acidity. Like the E. Grasso Ginestra Casa Mate, this is no ballerina. It’s a big, dark, brooding wine. And while not closed, you get the impression there’s much more here than it’s showing. Most of the 2016s offer a lot of early pleasure today and are worth trying. This one, not so much. If you have it, I’d recommend holding off a while. I expect to like this a lot in a few years. Lots of promise, next bottle 2028.

FWIW, I tasted this tonight with the last of the P. Scavino Prapo, which I preferred for current drinking. It’s softer, rounder, and more open on the nose and frankly tastier for drinking today. It’s liquid candy — like Russian River Barolo. I like the Paolo Scavino wines in 2016.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by C. Keller »

ChrisJames wrote: December 5th, 2020, 2:49 pm
C. Keller wrote: December 5th, 2020, 1:56 pm
Max S. wrote: December 5th, 2020, 1:31 pm

The free shipping is mix and match too - a few good options there
Oooooooooo noooooooo....I swore I was done for December after the 20% off sale at Morrell last week
I'll make it easy for you: get six Nervi Gattinara and six 2019 Trediberri Dogliani Bricco Mollea for $16. Killer QPR Tuesday night juice!!!!

It is always hard to be done shopping for the month when it is only the 5th. [wink.gif]
3 Gattinara and 3 Monsanto Chianti Riserva at our good friend Jeremy's recommendation.

The prices here are unreal....
Chris

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 2016 Barolo Notes (added Cogno Ravera)

#104 Post by Diane Kessler »

Mattstolz wrote: November 28th, 2020, 7:48 pm 2016 GD Vajra Barolo Albe
This wine is always a great QPR, and is always a good choice for an early check in on a vintage because of style, even though its still got all the classic notes of berries, roses, some leather, but dominated by the fruit at this time. its not a shy wine, but its a really enjoyable one.
I opened this yesterday and agree with your note. Tannins were like a frontal assault but good fruit and acid to balance it. I usually just get one of these to open early and cellar my other Vajra Barolo. This vintage, I bought more Albe, and if I can keep my hands off it, will keep it in the cellar, but it is damn good right now.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Doug Schulman »

J D o v e wrote: December 5th, 2020, 1:19 pm
C. Keller wrote: December 5th, 2020, 1:16 pm
Doug Schulman wrote: December 5th, 2020, 11:50 am
I had the ‘16 regular bottling about a week ago with similar impressions. I loved the ‘15 last winter, so I think the ‘16 just needs time. I think maybe more than 5 years.
Glad to hear. Seems like in 17 the only on being made is the basic and contains the best from the singles as the singles wont be bottled. I'll look for either.
The same was true of the 2015, if I’m not mistaken.
Maybe that’s why I thought the 2015 was so good.

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 2016 Barolo Notes (added Cavalotto Bricco Boschis)

#106 Post by F.Daner »

Not a 16 but this has been a great thread so thought I would share. Wish I would have decanted this one or followed over a few hours. Just terrific wine and a great value for what it delivers. Looks like plenty is still out there in the US.

2015 G.D. Vajra Barolo Ravera

12/6/2020 rated 97 points: This starts out a bit tense and tight. It was quite shy on the nose. Initially though it delivers layers of flavor on the palate with deep red fruit, tar and a pretty orange peel note. The tannins are slight and rich at first and it's very expressive. After an hour of being open it really unwinds and builds power with even deeper flavors. It feels classically built but showing so much now. I was surprised so much more was revealed with time. I wish i could have followed it over a few hours or decanted. 95 for the first impression and 97 on what was revealed with time. Fantastic wine and as good as any 2016 I've tried.
Fred

Dennis Atick

#107 Post by Dennis Atick »

J D o v e wrote: December 5th, 2020, 3:04 pm 2016 Cavallotto Bricco Boschis
Decanted 2h. Quite dark. Fruity black cherry nose with some rose, iron and a little licorice. Juicy cherry fruit on the palate that meets a wall of big, chewy tannins and bright acidity. Like the E. Grasso Ginestra Casa Mate, this is no ballerina. It’s a big, dark, brooding wine. And while not closed, you get the impression there’s much more here than it’s showing. Most of the 2016s offer a lot of early pleasure today and are worth trying. This one, not so much. If you have it, I’d recommend holding off a while. I expect to like this a lot in a few years. Lots of promise, next bottle 2028.
Sounds similar to the '15 I opened on Saturday night. Though this sounds even more giving, while the '15 is closed in for the long haul. Thanks for the early look as I have a few. Just not drinking them young anymore.
@decaturwinedude

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by F.Daner »

Friday night so time to try another new 2016. To me what makes this vintage so good are the quality of the base Barolo from so many producers. Oddero is a new one for us.

2016 Oddero Barolo
12/12/2020 rated 92 points: Terrific base Barolo classically built but so expressive right now. The nose jumps from the glass with dark red fruit and beautiful floral tones. It's layered with flavor with some spice and orange peel that show up on the finish. Tannins are fine and persistent that stay present but don't get in the way. Give it 2-3 hours of air to help open up. Wonderful now but see some potential upside. Excellent qpr as well.
Fred

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#109 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

F.Daner wrote: December 5th, 2020, 5:01 am Tim- The Alessandria classic is beautiful and I would definitely invest in some of their Cru's. The Scavino Monvigliero and the F. Alessandria version not quite up to Burlotto but great wines. I think Jim the OP has had them both. I've had the Scavino.

Chira Boschi Cannubi would be worth hunting down though different from Burlotto the notes are very consistent and very positive.

I'm excited about trying the top tier Cru's in the future but what I think makes this vintage so special is how good the entry level wines are. My favorites are case+ purchase for me. My son whose away at college has lost his room to overflow wine storage.

Lastly, If anyone has access to 2016 Luciano Sandrone Nebbiolo d'Alba Valmaggiore at a good price snag it. It is as good as any of my favorite 16 normale's. It's priced as one as well but worth it.
T. Williams wrote: December 5th, 2020, 2:24 am This thread has been absolutely great. I'm actually at the point that I think I need to pump the breaks on the 2016 Barolo purchases. I think I've went both too broad and too deep. To date I've bought:

Burlotto
Cavallotto Bricco Boschis
G. Fenocchio Bussia
F. Alessandria
Renato Ratti Marcenasco
Vajra Albe
Vajra Bricco delle Viole
Vietti Castiglione

Right now I am really struggling not to pull the trigger on some of the Burlotto Cannubi and Monvigliero but $250/bottle is brutally expensive.

To date I haven't opened anything from the above list, but probably will tonight. Most likely one of the Renato Ratti's as I don't necessarily see those being in my cellar for 20 years. If I do, I'll follow up with some notes.
Fred - Do you buy from any Florida retailers? I have not had great success locally and have to buy (Italian wines) online (and deal with the horrors of far-away shipping/Florida weather).

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by F.Daner »

Sherri- The only Florida retailer I use for Italian wine is B-21. I get their private offers and also buy on pre-release. It looks like about 20% of my Barolo purchase came from them. Most have come from NY/NJ retailers and since I'm working from home shipping wasn't too bad this year. I've also used Vinopolis, Woodland Hills and Sec Wines which are all great west coast retailers. I've found a few shops in Ft Lauderdale but their prices were typically 15-20% higher and they didn't have as deep a selection.
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote: December 12th, 2020, 5:06 am
Fred - Do you buy from any Florida retailers? I have not had great success locally and have to buy (Italian wines) online (and deal with the horrors of far-away shipping/Florida weather).
Fred

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Max S. »

F.Daner wrote: December 12th, 2020, 5:14 am Sherri- The only Florida retailer I use for Italian wine is B-21. I get their private offers and also buy on pre-release. It looks like about 20% of my Barolo purchase came from them. Most have come from NY/NJ retailers and since I'm working from home shipping wasn't too bad this year. I've also used Vinopolis, Woodland Hills and Sec Wines which are all great west coast retailers. I've found a few shops in Ft Lauderdale but their prices were typically 15-20% higher and they didn't have as deep a selection.
I love Vinopolis' selection, but can't bring myself around to paying the shipping costs ($7/bottle!?).
5 w 0 m l 3 y

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by F.Daner »

Max- I build up case or 2 over the year and have them ship around this time. It works out a bit better but I noticed east coast shipping this year seemed high from several of the NY stores.
Max S. wrote: December 12th, 2020, 9:24 am
F.Daner wrote: December 12th, 2020, 5:14 am Sherri- The only Florida retailer I use for Italian wine is B-21. I get their private offers and also buy on pre-release. It looks like about 20% of my Barolo purchase came from them. Most have come from NY/NJ retailers and since I'm working from home shipping wasn't too bad this year. I've also used Vinopolis, Woodland Hills and Sec Wines which are all great west coast retailers. I've found a few shops in Ft Lauderdale but their prices were typically 15-20% higher and they didn't have as deep a selection.
I love Vinopolis' selection, but can't bring myself around to paying the shipping costs ($7/bottle!?).
Fred

J D o v e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by J D o v e »

And now, a note where I wax poetic about a ‘bottom feeder wine’. Mr. Billy, this is for you.

2016 Vajra Barolo Albe
If there’s a wine that will convince you that 2016 is very special for Nebbiolo in the Langhe, this is it. The wine is $29 of pure joy. Bought a case before I finished the first glass. Like the Bricco delle Viole, this has a beautiful, sweet nose. There’s some hard candy cherry fruit, and a dark tarry note that’s brightened up by violets and something close to garrigue. There’s a pretty Grenache-heavy Southern Rhône-like quality to this. It’s quite a mouthful — and the balance of dark cherry fruit and fine grained tannins is really nice. It lacks the concentration and punch of the best 2016s — but, wow, there’s a lot to like here. I really did not expect to like this so much. Highly recommended and I would expect this to really be nice in about 8 to 10 years. Maybe not for purists, but there’s definitely a place for wines like this in the cellar.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by ChrisJames »

J D o v e wrote: December 12th, 2020, 3:28 pm And now, a note where I wax poetic about a ‘bottom feeder wine’. Mr. Billy, this is for you.

2016 Vajra Barolo Albe
If there’s a wine that will convince you that 2016 is very special for Nebbiolo in the Langhe, this is it. The wine is $29 of pure joy. Bought a case before I finished the first glass. Like the Bricco delle Viole, this has a beautiful, sweet nose. There’s some hard candy cherry fruit, and a dark tarry note that’s brightened up by violets and something close to garrigue. There’s a pretty Grenache-heavy Southern Rhône-like quality to this. It’s quite a mouthful — and the balance of dark cherry fruit and fine grained tannins is really nice. It lacks the concentration and punch of the best 2016s — but, wow, there’s a lot to like here. I really did not expect to like this so much. Highly recommended and I would expect this to really be nice in about 8 to 10 years. Maybe not for purists, but there’s definitely a place for wines like this in the cellar.
Awesome! I have a sixer. $29 is a great price. Vinopolis is selling six packs for $189 ($31.50) or singles for $33. BTW, have you had a chance to try Vajra's Coste di Rose?

J D o v e
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 2016 Barolo Notes (added Vajra Barolo Albe)

#115 Post by J D o v e »

The Coste di Rose did not make my shopping list. As it didn’t seem to get the consistent praise, and as it’s roughly the same price as the BdV and Ravera, I gave it a pass. I probably should get a bottle for science... Like all the other 2016s I’ve been trying, I’m sure it’s excellent.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by C. Keller »

Having a 2016 Nervi Gattinara tonight. Can't get over how light the color is in the glass. I can still make out the markings on the counter top looking down thru the glass. This definitely on the lighter side from a flavor and palate perspective as well. The nose is not revealing much. Maybe some berries and thyme. Palate is acidic and I get some alcohol that masks anything else that would have presented itself. Whereas the previous 2016's had some serious tannins this does not seem too.

Confused by this to be honest.
Chris

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by AAgrawal »

J D o v e wrote: December 12th, 2020, 4:11 pm The Coste di Rose did not make my shopping list. As it didn’t seem to get the consistent praise, and as it’s roughly the same price as the BdV and Ravera, I gave it a pass. I probably should get a bottle for science... Like all the other 2016s I’ve been trying, I’m sure it’s excellent.
I bought some, and then had some regret because I had the same thought (should I have just bought more Bricco or Ravera?). And then I tried it, and I don't regret buying it anymore.
  • 2016 G.D. Vajra Barolo Coste di Rose - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (11/16/2020)
    Vajra Tasting (Home): Coravin. Light-medium ruby with the slight bricking of young Nebbiolo; high intensity aromatics with red cherry, sweet roses, spices, I hesitate to use the word candied, but the fruit has a very attractive sappiness without overripeness, complex nose; palate is light bodied, red cherry, black cherry, high acidity, alcohol is amazingly balanced and shows it (14% in a vintage where some producers are hitting 16%); finish is medium length. I'm very impressed by the balance on this, and while it's maybe not as complex as the Bricco della Viole, it's plenty complex and for ~$70 not that much more than entry level Barolo from some top producers (Burlotto, etc). I was initially wondering whether I should have skipped this bottling and just bought Bricco and Ravera, but I'm glad I have a few of these for earlier drinking. Probably the best drinking young barolo I've had so far this year. 93+
    Comparing to the 2016 Vajra Bricco: While the Bricco is quite light, almost alto piemonte styled, the Coste di Rose is more classical Barolo (though not quite as dense as I remember the Ravera style), keeping in mind that all are Vajra-styled (much more elegant than the typical Barolo). (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by ChrisJames »

C. Keller wrote: December 12th, 2020, 4:37 pm Having a 2016 Nervi Gattinara tonight. Can't get over how light the color is in the glass. I can still make out the markings on the counter top looking down thru the glass. This definitely on the lighter side from a flavor and palate perspective as well. The nose is not revealing much. Maybe some berries and thyme. Palate is acidic and I get some alcohol that masks anything else that would have presented itself. Whereas the previous 2016's had some serious tannins this does not seem too.

Yeah....this is what I was trying to say in post #84 of this thread. I think the inviting sweet spot of youth has passed and it needs to be a sullen teenager for the next seven years. Check out that recent thread on the 2007 Vallana Gattinara. I think this is the same thing.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by Kirk.Grant »

CHECKING IN ON 2016 BAROLO - (12/13/2020)

This was a really nice way to check in & see what the wines may hold for the future.
G.D. Vajra Flight
Wine #1: From the commune/township of Barolo
Wine #2: From the commune/township of Novello
  • 2016 G.D. Vajra Barolo Coste di Rose - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A bright ruby in the glass, this is immediately very floral & perfumed with red fruits & potpourri in the background. On the palate the fruit leads briefly before the tannin comes in during the mid-palate expression. This is a quite delicate and feminine vision of Barolo, one that I quite like a lot. After the tannin subsides bright notes of ripe strawberry, kumquat, and raspberry linger along a medium-long finish. Bravo! This may be a bottle to enjoy earlier than others...I plan to check back again in 2031 or a little later based on this experience.
  • 2016 G.D. Vajra Barolo Ravera - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    This is just so expansive in the glass...it seems like the nose leads into a void of scents & complexity that is indescribable...but I want to try. Beyond the scents of cherry there is this whisper of white pepper (which I don't think I've noticed in nebbiolo before) followed by what seems a bit like dried floral notes...but with a hint of freshness & dried orange peel. On the palate the tannins feel layered as notes of sour cherry, wild strawberry, & pommegranite poke out through a little bit at a time. This is a lovely & very special, a wine that deserves another 12-20 years to really show all it has to offer. Outstanding now, but certainly a wine that has the potential to become something iconic.
Wine #3: From the commune/township of Castiglione Falletto
  • 2016 Cavallotto Barolo Bricco Boschis - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Ruby at the core with scents that seem as if they rolled off broad shoulders as scents of smoke, menthol, potpourri, black cherry, & plum. The palate leads with bitterness & tannin before sour cherry under-ripe strawberry, & red plum come through in the mid-palate. This is a wine that will need a long, long time in the cellar...of the 3 bottles I have left I plan to wait at least until 2036 before checking in again. This was a wall of tannin, and of the 2016's I've tasted it clearly needs the most time sideways.
Elio Grasso Flight
Wine #4: From the commune/township of Monforte d'Alba
Wine #5: From the commune/township of Monforte d'Alba
  • 2016 Elio Grasso Barolo Gavarini Chiniera - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Sadly this was corked...there was a sense of this being a very "cool" bottle of wine underneath it all. NR (flawed)
  • 2016 Elio Grasso Barolo Ginestra Casa Maté - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    There's a note on the nose that calls me to think of a perfect Burgundian sphere. Scents of forest floor, rose, & red fruit abounds with a hint of the alcohol that lingers faintly in the background. The palate is full of bright red fruits, fine grained tannin, and a lingering note of spice. This is a dead-sexy wine...a bit like a female body-builder in a silk dress. There was a bit of "gloss & flash" that the other wines did not have. This should be a very interesting wine to check in on over time. I'm glad to have a few more.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

J D o v e
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 2016 Barolo Notes (added Vajra Barolo Ravera & Coste di Rose)

#120 Post by J D o v e »

Many thanks on the fresh notes. I have the Vajra Ravera and haven’t popped one yet.

I’m enjoying the last of the Vajra Albe tonight. The nose smells like a glass of fresh raspberries that were muddled with a single mint leaf. The palate is rich but supported with plenty of powdery but grippy tannins. For what I like to drink, it’s among the best under $30 wines I’ve had in some time. I doubt it will make old bones, but it should be terrific 2024 - 2030ish. Kudos to Vajra.

As a side note, yesterday, I opened the excellent 2016 Cavallotto Langhe as a point of comparison and preferred the Albe by a good margin. Still like the Cavallotto, which is a comparatively meaty wine.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by F.Daner »

Thanks Kirk and great notes.

Is the Coste a new wine for Vajra ? This is the first year I'm hearing anything about it. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention. Very helpful notes. I hope my stash of Vajra 15's keeps me away from the 16's. The Ravera I had recently while young was outstanding.
Kirk.Grant wrote: December 13th, 2020, 6:32 am CHECKING IN ON 2016 BAROLO - (12/13/2020)

This was a really nice way to check in & see what the wines may hold for the future.
G.D. Vajra Flight
Wine #1: From the commune/township of Barolo
Wine #2: From the commune/township of Novello
  • 2016 G.D. Vajra Barolo Coste di Rose - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A bright ruby in the glass, this is immediately very floral & perfumed with red fruits & potpourri in the background. On the palate the fruit leads briefly before the tannin comes in during the mid-palate expression. This is a quite delicate and feminine vision of Barolo, one that I quite like a lot. After the tannin subsides bright notes of ripe strawberry, kumquat, and raspberry linger along a medium-long finish. Bravo! This may be a bottle to enjoy earlier than others...I plan to check back again in 2031 or a little later based on this experience.
  • 2016 G.D. Vajra Barolo Ravera - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    This is just so expansive in the glass...it seems like the nose leads into a void of scents & complexity that is indescribable...but I want to try. Beyond the scents of cherry there is this whisper of white pepper (which I don't think I've noticed in nebbiolo before) followed by what seems a bit like dried floral notes...but with a hint of freshness & dried orange peel. On the palate the tannins feel layered as notes of sour cherry, wild strawberry, & pommegranite poke out through a little bit at a time. This is a lovely & very special, a wine that deserves another 12-20 years to really show all it has to offer. Outstanding now, but certainly a wine that has the potential to become something iconic.
Wine #3: From the commune/township of Castiglione Falletto
  • 2016 Cavallotto Barolo Bricco Boschis - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Ruby at the core with scents that seem as if they rolled off broad shoulders as scents of smoke, menthol, potpourri, black cherry, & plum. The palate leads with bitterness & tannin before sour cherry under-ripe strawberry, & red plum come through in the mid-palate. This is a wine that will need a long, long time in the cellar...of the 3 bottles I have left I plan to wait at least until 2036 before checking in again. This was a wall of tannin, and of the 2016's I've tasted it clearly needs the most time sideways.
Elio Grasso Flight
Wine #4: From the commune/township of Monforte d'Alba
Wine #5: From the commune/township of Monforte d'Alba
  • 2016 Elio Grasso Barolo Gavarini Chiniera - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Sadly this was corked...there was a sense of this being a very "cool" bottle of wine underneath it all. NR (flawed)
  • 2016 Elio Grasso Barolo Ginestra Casa Maté - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    There's a note on the nose that calls me to think of a perfect Burgundian sphere. Scents of forest floor, rose, & red fruit abounds with a hint of the alcohol that lingers faintly in the background. The palate is full of bright red fruits, fine grained tannin, and a lingering note of spice. This is a dead-sexy wine...a bit like a female body-builder in a silk dress. There was a bit of "gloss & flash" that the other wines did not have. This should be a very interesting wine to check in on over time. I'm glad to have a few more.
Fred

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by David_K »

F.Daner wrote: December 14th, 2020, 4:52 am Thanks Kirk and great notes.

Is the Coste a new wine for Vajra ? This is the first year I'm hearing anything about it. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention. Very helpful notes. I hope my stash of Vajra 15's keeps me away from the 16's. The Ravera I had recently while young was outstanding.
The Coste di Rose was new for '15, I believe. I had the '15 and really liked it. It was really bright and refined. I have not had the '16 yet.
K@ntrОwi╦z

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by John Morris »

C. Keller wrote: December 12th, 2020, 4:37 pm Having a 2016 Nervi Gattinara tonight. Can't get over how light the color is in the glass. I can still make out the markings on the counter top looking down thru the glass. This definitely on the lighter side from a flavor and palate perspective as well. The nose is not revealing much. Maybe some berries and thyme. Palate is acidic and I get some alcohol that masks anything else that would have presented itself. Whereas the previous 2016's had some serious tannins this does not seem too.

That sounds pretty typical for an Alto Piemonte wine. They tend to be much lighter in color than typical Barolo or Barbaresco, and the acid tends to be in the foreground when young.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Kurt_L

#124 Post by Kurt_L »

Thanks everyone for organizing these great notes!

I'm newish to piedmont wines, and I'd like to compare a few entry level 2016 barolos of different styles. Are there any 2016s that have stood out to you as being the most intensely floral on the nose? From the comments it sounds like potential contenders include the Vajras, Oderro, or Vietti Castiglione.
L @ v 3 t t i

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by F.Daner »

Hi Kurt- I would look at based on my experience with their 16's

Burlotto- no surprise here and tough to find and will be marked up. Very floral and beautiful nose showcasing the house style
F. Alessandria- much easier to find. wonderful wine
Cordero di Montezemolo- more modern in style but terrific. So far very open for business and expressive
Azelia- has a good bit of Serralunga but with a few hours was very expressive. darker nose.

Kurt_L wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:52 pm Thanks everyone for organizing these great notes!

I'm newish to piedmont wines, and I'd like to compare a few entry level 2016 barolos of different styles. Are there any 2016s that have stood out to you as being the most intensely floral on the nose? From the comments it sounds like potential contenders include the Vajras, Oderro, or Vietti Castiglione.
Fred

Tim Heaton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Tim Heaton »

Kurt_L wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:52 pm Thanks everyone for organizing these great notes!

If you're new-ish, as you say, to the wines of the Langhe, have you considered starting with Langhe Nebbiolo from the producers you've mentioned? Also, Vajra, a board favorite is, to my palate, in a consistently different vein that Oddero. Look to Roero if you're just starting to explore this area and/or Nebbiolo - the quality can be quite high, the price, often very modest.
ITB: winestrategies
italianwine.blog
CT: Tim He@ton

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by John Morris »

The '16 Vajra Albe is very good, but not particularly floral, at this stage anyway. It's pretty dense and masculine, and not so open on the nose at this point.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Greg K »

I'd suggest Brovia. I just had the 16 normale over a couple of days and it's true to house style, a wine with a good amount of perfume.
Greg Kahn

John Kight

#129 Post by John Kight »

J D o v e wrote: December 5th, 2020, 3:04 pmI tasted this tonight with the last of the P. Scavino Prapo, which I preferred for current drinking. It’s softer, rounder, and more open on the nose and frankly tastier for drinking today. It’s liquid candy — like Russian River Barolo. I like the Paolo Scavino wines in 2016.
I just had the '99 and '16 Scavino Bricco del Fiasc side by side. I expected to find the '99 to be too modern and oaky, as I understood that the "dial back" in oak happened just after this time frame. However, the wine was expressive, nuanced and balanced, with no prominent oak whatsoever (although yes, some will certainly say the oak is "detectable" in the sense that there was a hint of cedar-y spice). In any event, from a side-by-side tasting, I suspect someone might (wrongly) conclude that the '99 was made in the more traditional style and the '16 is a modern bruiser. Of course, it is the age on the '99 that creates that impression.

I'm wondering whether '97-'98 was the apex of oak usage at Scavino, given how the '99-'01 Clerico wines show MUCH more prominent oak than the '99-'01 Scavinos, even today.

Johan R

#130 Post by Johan R »

Greg K wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:16 am

I'd suggest Brovia. I just had the 16 normale over a couple of days and it's true to house style, a wine with a good amount of perfume.
I second this. A beautiful classico.
R I C K F O R S

Rob M

#131 Post by Rob M »

John Kight wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:44 am
J D o v e wrote: December 5th, 2020, 3:04 pmI tasted this tonight with the last of the P. Scavino Prapo, which I preferred for current drinking. It’s softer, rounder, and more open on the nose and frankly tastier for drinking today. It’s liquid candy — like Russian River Barolo. I like the Paolo Scavino wines in 2016.
I just had the '99 and '16 Scavino Bricco del Fiasc side by side. I expected to find the '99 to be too modern and oaky, as I understood that the "dial back" in oak happened just after this time frame. However, the wine was expressive, nuanced and balanced, with no prominent oak whatsoever (although yes, some will certainly say the oak is "detectable" in the sense that there was a hint of cedar-y spice). In any event, from a side-by-side tasting, I suspect someone might (wrongly) conclude that the '99 was made in the more traditional style and the '16 is a modern bruiser. Of course, it is the age on the '99 that creates that impression.

I'm wondering whether '97-'98 was the apex of oak usage at Scavino, given how the '99-'01 Clerico wines show MUCH more prominent oak than the '99-'01 Scavinos, even today.
I think oak usage and how detectable it is clearly varies depending on the individual. That said, I've had the '01 Scavino BdF a few times overthe past few years and while it's a very good wine in my opinion, there's no doubt that there is a ton of oak on the wine. Same with the 2004. I much prefer traditional Barolo overall, but that '01 is a delicious wine.
Rob McLaughlin

Return to “Wine Talk”