Got a disappointed bottle, but Problem Resolved

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
chris.p

Got a disappointed bottle, but Problem Resolved

#1 Post by chris.p »

To make the whole thing simple, I am not come here to ask for help. I was posting my story to warn people who want to buy 2013 Realm Absurd from a wine merchants in Redwood City. The wine is not in good condition, if you don't believe it, go buy it and enjoy it. Cheers.

champagne.gif
Last edited by chris.p on November 2nd, 2020, 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris Peng. Fino Alla Fine champagne.gif

Otto Forsberg

Re: Don't waste your money on K&L wine at Redwood City

#2 Post by Otto Forsberg »

The store was absolutely right, the cork condition does NOT have anything to do with the wine being corked. A wine with a perfect, pristine cork can be corked. Furthermore, that cork looks like a perfectly fine - and a relatively high-quality - cork, to me.

Were there any aromas or flavors of TCA present?

HenryB

#3 Post by HenryB »

perhaps its just not a wine style for you OP... or maybe you've got COVID and lost sense of taste?
|3 r 0 w |\|

Victor Hong

#4 Post by Victor Hong »

Pair with yak, preferably under-done.
WineHunter.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Mark Golodetz »

Boring and flat does not sound like a corked wine.
It has a very distinct flavor of cardboard and is seriously unpleasant, a wine you immediately know is wrong. I am afraid going to a reputable store such as K &L and saying it is corked when it seems you don’t like the wine is not reason to trash the store. Over the years, the bar for trashing is set pretty high; and I don’t think you met the threshold. Sorry if that seems harsh, but your video suggested that you really did not know what corked is, but in your defense you did a fine job with the Ah So.
ITB

Victor Hong

#6 Post by Victor Hong »

He should have gotten a twist-cap bottling of the wine. The problem would have been solved.
WineHunter.

John S

#7 Post by John S »

I'd suggest you delete your post OP. Corked wine is not discernable by the condition of the cork. One can tell by lab test or by experienced taster who can identify the aromas. Everyone has a different threshold and ability to tell if a wine is corked. The condition the cork in that video appears excellent. So you have demeaned a retailer for no apparent reason other than the wine did not taste as you expect and K&L did not do what you expected so you flag them here in a public forum.
John Sprow

HenryB

#8 Post by HenryB »

John S wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:10 am The condition the cork in that video appears excellent.
tbh I'm glad someone else mentioned that - I was looking at that cork wondering if I was an idiot for thinking it was lookign in good condition
|3 r 0 w |\|

Markus S

#9 Post by Markus S »

Is this a video influencer trying to promote videos??
$ _ € ® e . k @

T y l e r Z
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by T y l e r Z »

Guy who doesn't know anything about wine spends $750 on a bottle.

[head-bang.gif]

...this was pretty much the only outcome that could have happened.
Z@rfo$$

Victor Hong

#11 Post by Victor Hong »

chris.p wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 2:00 am I was a fan of K&L, and I heard many good reviews about K&L. I recently purchased a 2013 Realm Abusrd from K&L at Redwood City. This bottle I got from K&L on 10/25, and opened on 10/30, it is an absolutely corked bottle. The cork was in terrible condition and wine tasted boring and flat. I couldn't smell or taste any aromas and flavors.

I went to the store and they told me the cork condition doesn't mean the wine was corked, and after they tasted the wine, they said the wine was in great condition. They refused to do any refund or replacement, and asked me to leave.

This is a video and some pictures: <snip>
Since this is a relatively new vintage, so I think either K&L purchased this bottle from questionable seller, or K&L doesn't store it well. Anyway, I won't spend any money on K&L after I paid this expensive lesson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_taint
WineHunter.

HenryB

#12 Post by HenryB »

I'm no expert on the wine:
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=2062016

that's one of the highest average CT scores I've ever seen. I 'm guessing it might be in a closed down phase from your note OP.

How long did you let it breathe for? Did you decant it? If its in the closed down phase, it probably would taste quite flat and boring if you didnt let it breathe.
|3 r 0 w |\|

Victor Hong

#13 Post by Victor Hong »

T y l e r Z wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:20 am Guy who doesn't know anything about wine spends $750 on a bottle.

[head-bang.gif]

...this was pretty much the only outcome that could have happened.
Must be nice to be rich. [grin.gif]

....Or, at least, most of the time. neener
WineHunter.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Dan Hammer »

chris.p

As you can see, some on this board can be referred to as a tough crowd.

Welcome to WineBerserkers.
This space for rent.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mark Golodetz »

Suckling only gave it a 96. It can’t have been a good wine to begin with.
ITB

patrick c albright
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#16 Post by patrick c albright »

Thread is Absurd.
ITB

Chris V.

#17 Post by Chris V. »

V a n d e r m a r e l

KenL.

#18 Post by KenL. »

Corked wine has a very distinctive odor of wet newspapers that have been sitting in a basement. Sounds like the bottle is just shut down like a lot of 2013 Napa cab are now. I had a corked bottle from K&L several years ago. They exchanged it and just asked that I bring them the open bottle so they could get a credit from winery.
Lobel

Victor Hong

#19 Post by Victor Hong »

Perhaps, this video should talk about an uncorked bottle, instead of a corked one.

WineHunter.

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by HoosJustinG »

I am surprised that the cork was soaked nearly halfway up when it’s probably only been in the bottle for 6 or 7 years at this point. But yeah, the key question here is what do you mean that the wine was “corked?”
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Michael S. Monie

#21 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Low levels of TCA while virtually imperceivable to smell or taste can render a wine void of aromas or flavors. If he really couldn't smell or taste anything, this could have been the case. Or less likely, the wine is going through a dumb period.
Hubris Gravitas

In the myriad of involvements in living, there are two primary obligations: to know one's self and to be kind. And the more one engages in one , the more the other becomes apparent.

Robert Page
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Robert Page »

KenL. wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:56 am Corked wine has a very distinctive odor of wet newspapers that have been sitting in a basement. Sounds like the bottle is just shut down like a lot of 2013 Napa cab are now. I had a corked bottle from K&L several years ago. They exchanged it and just asked that I bring them the open bottle so they could get a credit from winery.
Slightly off topic, but curious to know if there is a consensus that a lot of 2013 Napa cabernets are shut down now. Not saying I disagree, but looking for data or other insights that support this view.

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Scott Jameson »

Robert Page wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 6:29 am
KenL. wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:56 am Corked wine has a very distinctive odor of wet newspapers that have been sitting in a basement. Sounds like the bottle is just shut down like a lot of 2013 Napa cab are now. I had a corked bottle from K&L several years ago. They exchanged it and just asked that I bring them the open bottle so they could get a credit from winery.
Slightly off topic, but curious to know if there is a consensus that a lot of 2013 Napa cabernets are shut down now. Not saying I disagree, but looking for data or other insights that support this view.
I've tried a couple 2013 Cabs recently - Spottswoode and Maybach Materium - thinking that at 7 years old, they should start to be showing nicely. Even with a few hours in the decanter, both were tight and not offering much. I'm thinking of trying them again around their 10th birthday.

To try to keep this on topic, if the Realm was PnP, I'm not surprised it was "boring and flat". If the OP took it back a day or two later, it probably was tasting very nice after being opened for that time.

Victor Hong

#24 Post by Victor Hong »

We should await the sequel video.
WineHunter.

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Eric White »

lol, pretty sure K&L's stellar reputation will survive this brutal frontal attack blahblah

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Michael S. Monie wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 6:18 am Low levels of TCA while virtually imperceivable to smell or taste can render a wine void of aromas or flavors. If he really couldn't smell or taste anything, this could have been the case. Or less likely, the wine is going through a dumb period.
Agree that visible cork condition does not have anything to do with being corked. I also agree with Michael, if all the corked wine you’ve had smell of wet cardboard, then you are either drinking corked wine without noticing upon occasion.

Most of the corked wines I’ve had don’t smell of wet cardboard overtly, but can be readily seen as flawed when compared is with another bottle of the same wine.
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on November 2nd, 2020, 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Sean_S »

John S wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 5:10 am I'd suggest you delete your post OP. Corked wine is not discernable by the condition of the cork. One can tell by lab test or by experienced taster who can identify the aromas. Everyone has a different threshold and ability to tell if a wine is corked. The condition the cork in that video appears excellent. So you have demeaned a retailer for no apparent reason other than the wine did not taste as you expect and K&L did not do what you expected so you flag them here in a public forum.
I've brought corked wines back to K&L and never had a problem with replacement. One of the best retailers in America. BTW: That cork looks in great shape. Sorry to hear the wine did not impress.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

2021 WOTY Candidates

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Nate Simon »

Too late. I’ve already wasted money on many cases from K&L. By some miracle, I have been lucky enough to encounter only exemplary customer service 100% of the time.

John J
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by John J »

With TCA, in my experience, the taint smell gets stronger the longer the bottle is open. If the OP took the bottle back a day or two later, it should have been pretty obvious.

Also with TCA the fruit is completely stripped. Is that what the OP is describing by 'boring and bland.'
J. Johnson

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Nate Simon »

I noticed that in the video, the ah-so was in all the way to the hub, and still was not able to fully extract the cork. In other words, this is an extremely long cork, which may have something to do with why there was wine staining part of the way up.
Lastly, I was not there, but the fact that they “asked you to leave“ likely said something about your comportment in this situation.

Victor Hong

#31 Post by Victor Hong »

Nate Simon wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 7:27 am I noticed that in the video, the ah-so was in all the way to the hub, and still was not able to fully extract the cork. In other words, this is an extremely long cork, which may have something to do with why there was wine staining part of the way up.
Lastly, I was not there, but the fact that they “asked you to leave“ likely said something about your comportment in this situation.
Waving a long cork will not impress anybody.
WineHunter.

Mike Drilling
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Mike Drilling »

I am going to jump on the pro K&L bandwagon here because I know the owners and Redwood City staff well, having worked there part-time for several years after I retired. This is a first class operation, run by honest people who treat their customers, and employees, with respect. Obviously the interaction between the OP and K&L was unsatisfactory to him, and perhaps it could have been handled more tactfully by the K&L employee, but some people are impossible to please if they don't get the answer they want. (Probably all of us are that way some of the time).

At any rate, I have nothing but respect for K&L and will continue to spend my wine budget there.

Mel Knox
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#33 Post by Mel Knox »

The bottle could be taken to a lab like ETS for analysis.
ITB

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Mel Knox wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 7:41 am The bottle could be taken to a lab like ETS for analysis.
Results guaranteed within 12 months?

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Kris Patten »

A lot of responses all over the board of which a few I can agree on.....cork condition has nothing to do with TCA....TCA contamination has nothing to do with cork condition....this wine can definitely still be corked/affected, even without overwhelming mustiness, I have had plenty of wines that lack fruit and only present as a mild metallic note....the OP doesn't make it sound like his attitude about this wine when walking into K&L made them want to assist him and I'd trust their assessment of the wine if tasted.....finally returning a wine you don't like as "corked" is the same as stealing if you are just trying to get another bottle or pressure the retailer.

Lastly, Chris, it sucks when a bottle of this caliber doesn't perform. Sorry it didn't meet your likely lofty expectations. Keep posting....rough way to say hello though
ITB

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Steve Brickley »

My many decades of experience suggest I will continue to waste my money at K&L, gladly.
Steve

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Nate Simon »

I cannot image NOT being underwhelmed with a bottle I spent $750 on.

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by HoosJustinG »

A quick check on CT shows that many recent notes suggest this wine has shut down and needs time. Actually kind of surprising to me based on Realm wines I’ve had lately. A ‘14 Dr Crane from Magnum earlier this year was magic.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Based on the description, it seems to me far more likely that the wine was shut down than that it was tainted. As others have said, there is no relationship between the physical appearance of the cork and cork taint, and that cork looks to be in fine shape. If anything, the staining might suggest some heat damage (I doubt it, but it seems far more likely than cork taint) which could subdue the flavors and aroma.

I also wonder about the nature of the interaction with the staff if they asked the OP to leave the store.

Finally, this is one reason why I have zero interest in purchasing wines in this price range. Even an otherwise delightful bottle threatens to be a disappointment if it isn't orgasmic. Hard to just shrug your shoulders and move on with a $700 bottle of wine.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Degarmo.j

#40 Post by Degarmo.j »

I’ve been shopping at K&L for yearrrrrrrs. Spend thousands there annually. Through all of this, the only bottle I have ever had that was bad from the was from the redwood store, normally shop at SF. Was a 13’ domaine de chevalier blanc mag. Brought to a restaurant to share for a birthday and was disgusting, I am aware what “corked” wine tastes like. I thought, eh oh well it happens. Had them toss the bottle.

Mentioned it a few weeks later when checking out and they told me I should have saved and brought back and they would have given me a refund or store credit, was shocked by this and appreciated the sentiment. I’ve never had a single doubt that they really meant it. A top notch wine store that I feel lucky is so close by, always great staff and selection.
J o u r d a i n

Scott G r u n e r

#41 Post by Scott G r u n e r »

1)K&L is a great store
2)As said 100X above cork quality has nothing to do with TCA (corked)
3) The cork looked to be in fine shape, high quality

BUT even with a long cork, I don’t expect a wine that has been in bottle for 4-5 years to have that level of streaking.

It is a possible the wine was mildly cooked, IMO. Cooked wines can also lose fruit, taste muted. Badly cooked wines tend to be more stewed.
//Cynic

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#42 Post by c fu »

HoosJustinG wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 6:06 am I am surprised that the cork was soaked nearly halfway up when it’s probably only been in the bottle for 6 or 7 years at this point. But yeah, the key question here is what do you mean that the wine was “corked?”
I thought heat damage seeing that cork. Which would explain the loss of fruit/boring taste.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Hi Chris,

Sorry the bottle wasn't as you expected. I've had many corked bottles that present the way yours did --- I'm fairly surprised to see some folks here suggesting that a corked wine *will* or *must* taste/smell musty/of wet cardboard/newspapers. If we just focus on the manner in which you describe the wine, I wouldn't doubt your report of "corked." There does appear to be a fair amount of streaking on the cork, given the wine's age, so your wine may have been cooked to some extent somewhere along the way --- that *could* be an explanation for your experience, but I say that with trepidation because I've never felt that "cooked" and "corked" present similarly, but for in typographical symbols.

That said, there are a few things going on here that give a reasonable person reasons to doubt you; they've all been mentioned already, so no need to repeat.

Question that nobody has asked yet: why were you taking a video of the cork removal? I don't think I've ever taken video of a wine being opened with the exception of sabering of sparkling wines; I will probably take video the first time somebody uses port tongs in my presence, too. Struck me as odd, and now I'm curious.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Brad England
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Brad England »

Neal.Mollen wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 8:11 am Based on the description, it seems to me far more likely that the wine was shut down than that it was tainted. As others have said, there is no relationship between the physical appearance of the cork and cork taint, and that cork looks to be in fine shape. If anything, the staining might suggest some heat damage (I doubt it, but it seems far more likely than cork taint) which could subdue the flavors and aroma.

I also wonder about the nature of the interaction with the staff if they asked the OP to leave the store.

Finally, this is one reason why I have zero interest in purchasing wines in this price range. Even an otherwise delightful bottle threatens to be a disappointment if it isn't orgasmic. Hard to just shrug your shoulders and move on with a $700 bottle of wine.
Neal, you're being charitable (which is a virtue). But the tone of the OP, along with his clear lack of knowledge, indicates to me he's a wanker that likes to hear himself righteously complain. Your attitude shows you're the better man, but...
CT=BradE

Victor Hong

#45 Post by Victor Hong »

A $750 experience is worth recording and sharing.......usually.
WineHunter.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#46 Post by larry schaffer »

c fu wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 8:40 am
HoosJustinG wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 6:06 am I am surprised that the cork was soaked nearly halfway up when it’s probably only been in the bottle for 6 or 7 years at this point. But yeah, the key question here is what do you mean that the wine was “corked?”
I thought heat damage seeing that cork. Which would explain the loss of fruit/boring taste.
And folks, you all understand that most folks truly don't know what a 'corked' wine is, right? It has become a 'kitchen sink' descriptor for a wine that is either 'not right' or 'off' to them.

This is a perfect example of a situation that we can all learn from - and offer objective, reasoned advice.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Greg Gardner »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 8:47 am

Question that nobody has asked yet: why were you taking a video of the cork removal? I don't think I've ever taken video of a wine being opened with the exception of sabering of sparkling wines; I will probably take video the first time somebody uses port tongs in my presence, too. Struck me as odd, and now I'm curious.
Was just wondering the same.

AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by AndyK »

[popcorn.gif]
k0berl

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Arv R »

So sad for OP.

Maybe they can try the Harrison Street K&L location (which I prefer for its easy access) to see if they will get a better result.

I don't understand why they were recording them opening the bottle though.

Can anyone explain?
R_@_0

Victor Hong

#50 Post by Victor Hong »

A $750 experience is worth recording and sharing.......usually.
WineHunter.

Return to “Wine Talk”