An Interview with Kevin Zraly

Kevin was one of the great wine educators, wrote several books on wine and was the originator of the fantastic cellar at Windows of the World. A passionate, funny and incredibly knowledgeable voice in the world of wine.

http://www.johnmariani.com/current-issue/index.html

The good old days. I wondered why he told that Germany made good wine in the 70th. We Germans do not think that. Sure – some good wineries did exist making hand made, natural quality wine. But the country also produced a flood of sugared swill. Today the situation is totally different. I am thrilled to experience that it is easier to find good wines at all price levels than finding something undrinkable which was easy in the 70th and early 80th.

When I was young I could not imagine that Chianti will be one of my preferred red wines. Today good Chianti offers some of the best QPR when it comes to food friendly wines. I could not imagine that a bottle of Rousseau Chambertin or a Chateau Latour costs 1.000 bucks either. But as Mr. Zraly said. It is so easy to buy quality wines to a fair price that the exaggerations in the market do not count much. Yesterday I drank a 2015 Bourgogne rouge from Forey and it was wonderful. So even Burgundy offers fine wine to small money.

Really enjoyed the recent IDTT with him as well.

+1. His interview is perhaps the best IDTT episode Of all time. His story is overflowing with life - amazing experiences, humor, passion, and tragedy. It’s hard not to get emotional when hearing him talk about 9-11. It kind of transcends being just an interview and becomes a kind of literary narrative and modern American Bildungsroman. Props to Levi for making it.

Windows on the World and a handful of Kevin’s seminars were major motivators for my journey in to the world of fine wine. Such an entertaining, engaging and knowledgeable wine educator.

RT

Great read…