Domaine Daniel Barraud

I hope William Kelley sees this thread, but if anyone can answer, I would appreciate it. I see listings for Domaine Daniel Barraud, Domaine Daniel et Julien Barraud and Domaine Daniel et Martine Barraud, all with different labels, but they all appear to be one family. Is there a difference in the bottlings? Even on one of the importers websites, it listed Daniel et Martine Barraud as the producer, while the picture of the label showed “Domaine Barraud.” It’s very confusing.

Julien Barraud, who runs the domaine today, is the the son of Daniel and Martine. I’m not sure how they’ve structured the inheritance but they are all the same domaine to all intents and purposes.

Thanks, William. On the WA website, it lists the wines you reviewed under the name “Daniel et Julien Barraud.” If I see a different label for the equivalent wine (i.e., “Pouilly-Fuisse En France”), it should be the same wine as the one you reviewed?

Yes!

When I taste there, I’m tasting unlabelled bottles. So it may be that they’ve changed the label and what I’m entering is out-of-date.

I don’t think it is out-of-date. I see pictures with “Daniel et Julien Barraud” on the label of 2017 wines. It’s just that I also see pictures with other labels on what appears to be the same wine. I was wondering if the naming convention might relate to different importers, but even one importer’s website listed one name and the picture of the label showed another. Maybe you can ask the next time you drink with Daniel, Martine and/or Julien. :slight_smile:

Will do! But, that won’t be until my Spring 2021 visit to the Mâconnais sadly… just finishing up my Côte d’Or 2019 reviews now, in somewhat complicated circumstances.

I’ve imported Barraud since the 2010 vintage.
I think that it has been several years that the wines read Daniel and Julien Barraud.
If there are differences on the front labels to different importers, (which would be unusual) it is the same wine.
There were a few bottlings, maybe the Chataigners and the St Veran Arpege?, from purchased fruit from other family members that were labelled under Julien Barraud.
But En France is an estate wine, and has always been.
Santé

Fwiw, I checked a bottle in inventory, the '17 St Veran Pommards, and it says Domaine Barraud.
To your point, Chris, I don’t believe different labels are different wines.
Same wine.

Had the 2017 Domaine Barraud en Buland VV Pouilly-Fuisse last night. Wow, killer juice. Terrific depth, intensity, length in an herbal-kaffir lime motif (not the lemon and vanilla of Côte d’Or nor the tropical fruits of Santa Cruz mountains). Very impressive and worthy of the price premium over most other Pouilly Fuisse. Thanks to WK for putting this on the radar with a spot-on note.