Wine seepage in transit- 1972 stag's leap- overnight priority ship

I apologize if I’m asking a previously answered question, but I’ve looked up seepage during shipping for more information and the posts I have seen generally deal with wine that was shipped ground, to a wrong address, etc., and none of that applies here.

On 9/7 I won an auction at a reputable retailer for three bottles of 1972 Stag’s Leap. The description listed 2 of 3 bottles with depressed corks but none with signs of seepage. I was super excited about these bottles, as 1972 is my birth year, and waited until this Monday to put in the shipping request because I did not want to risk anything happening to them in transit. I shipped Fedex overnight priority and the order went out Wednesday. I received text notification at 10:09 am Thursday that the wines had arrived, and an hour later I was home with my wine. When I went to unbox the wine I noticed seepage from all three bottles onto the cardboard shipping trays.

I have never had any issues buying auction wines from this retailer and they really are my go-to. I REALLY want the wine, provided that it is ok- no idea where I will find anther 1972 Stag’s Leap. But…is it ok? From what I have read the answer is “probably, as long as you drink it right away.” My intent was that this would be a wine to drink on my 50th bday, in August 2022.

Not sure what to do here. Send it back? Contact the retailer? Photos of where the wine bottles sat in the tray and the seepage are attached.

Hoping someone will say “it will be fine; don’t worry,” but I find this to be unlikely. :frowning:

Thanks in advance!
IMG_1863.jpeg
IMG_1864.jpeg
IMG_1860.jpeg
IMG_1859.jpeg
IMG_1862.jpeg
IMG_1861.jpeg

Are there any signs of seepage on the bottles themselves? The stains could be from other wines shipped prior, as a reused shipper?

What was the temperature like the days it was in transit? This month, it should have been pretty safe.

Personally, I wouldn’t freak out, but I might open that bottle sooner rather than later.

Looks like old stains from a recycled shipper. Happens pretty often, as shippers tend to be used over and over again in many instances. If the bottles or labels don’t have signs of seepage I’d say you are fine.

Thanks everyone. Labels look fine but wine was shipped on its side, not upright. The stains were actually wet, and only under the three Stag’s Leap (out of 12 bottles shipped total.) Temperature was fine- 60s overnight in Menlo Park, 50s in Memphis, 50’s in VA In the morning.

Old corks can seep without heat. Happens, especially if they have been moved around after a long time asleep.

With those temperatures, I wouldn’t worry. It’s probably what David said.

Thanks David and Brian- does this mean that I might be ok to hold them for another 2 years, give or take?

I might just open one tomorrow anyway, with hopes of a “treat.” [cheers.gif]

50 year old bottles are a bit of a crap shoot no matter what. I would open one to see what their condition is (i.e. there are no good, old wines, just good, old bottles), and then decide. If your test bottle is good, then it seems like it would be OK to wait for that 50 year mark. Really no way to be certain bottle to bottle.

Good idea to try one. That will give you the opportunities to test the wine, inspect the cork ans see if the seeping is new or if it has been seeping for some time.

I would place them in my cellar standing for 2 or 3 days.

Then place them on their side and see if they continue to leak.

Keep searching for more 1972 vintage bottles.

I keep looking for that vintage also. I got married that year.

Good luck.

I wouldn’t do anything different with them now than what you were originally planning to do with them. If you decide to open one “now,” I’d suggest waiting a couple weeks to let the wine settle from shipping.

I would notify the shop that there was seepage in shipping ASAP. The fact that they leaked means there is not a tight cork seal, not heat forcing a leak in this case. I have had weak cork wines shipped on their sides leak, not good especially with a couple more years of cellaring. If in their sideways sloshing about, air got past the corks, also not good.
What are the fill levels?
I would try one in a couple of days. If not good, return them. If it is good, then it is your call to cellar them.
BTY, 1972 was a much better year for people than Napa Cabs.

I’m with Richard. I immediately thought weak/thin cork.

I’ve only had a small small handful out of many older Napa cabs (60s/70s) and when opened the cork integrity was not sound and they were generally not in great shape

I’ll shoot them an email. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Fill level for one is base of neck; the other two are top shoulder. (FWIW the ones with depressed corks are top shoulder.)

I don’t expect an outstanding wine from a 1972 Cab, but I am hoping it is interesting and drinkable. My backup is the 1972 Xavier Vignon (also not expecting an outstanding wine, but also interesting and drinkable) and a 2012 SQN Touché (probably too young, but who doesn’t want skulls on their 50th birthday wine? Plus, even though a pre-teen, it should be delicious.)

Thanks- I definitely plan to use the Durand on these!

That should work. If it doesn’t (I’ve had some 1970s California cabs where the screw of the Durand shredded the cork), keep a bleach-free coffee filter and a cone handy. Not ideal, but it will work.

I will definitely do that. Thanks!

A couple of thoughts.
I am sorry to say I am less optimistic than the others. It did not take much for the wine to start seeping (if they were really ill treated the other bottles would have also had problems). The cork is not a tight fit, and who is to know if the bottles had seepage issues and it was missed by the auction house. There are reasons why I avoid seepage bottles, at best they show a little older than their peers, at worst…

Rather than just sending an e mail, I would call BEFORE opening the wine, even asking their permission and follow it up with a confirmation e mail. I suspect they will offer to refund your money.

You did everything right, shipping overnight was the best option, particularly for a wine you really wanted.

If you keep them until 2022 as you plan, I would store upright and would also tightly cover the top of the bottle with something like stretch wrap and a rubber band to minimize air exchange due to a potential poor seal.

1972 corks cannot be uniformly relied upon. They’re a gamble from the beginning. If the wines mean that much to you, keep them and use as planned. Just have backups available. You’ll be hard pressed to find other 1972’s.