What ONE BOTTLE from your cellar will be your special occasion wine in five years?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
J.Vizuete
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: What ONE BOTTLE from your cellar will be your special occasion wine in five years?

#101 Post by J.Vizuete »

2010 Faiveley Cortons? It will be a 15th anniversary wine in about 3.5 years

I was also given an 89 Haut Brion and will probably have it sometime in the next 5 years with the one who gifted the bottle (although better minds suggest to wait)
John
CT: jviz

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What ONE BOTTLE from your cellar will be your special occasion wine in five years?

#102 Post by Bdklein »

Bdklein wrote: October 29th, 2020, 4:47 pm My one last bottle of Seaver GTS Cabernet Sauvignon . It's a 2012 (I hope to buy again this January) and in 5 years the Mets will win the World Series !!
I bought 2 of the 2018 just in case but the Mets better win soon!!
Bruce Klein

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Mattstolz »

the bottle im waiting for the biggest occasion to open is 1988 Biondi Santi. In reality it probably won't make it past my 35th birthday (88 birth year).

the occasion that I have the most bottles ready for is paying off student loans. 2013 grad year so there is a ton of Italian wine, some Cali, and some Burgs are on deck for a big celebration. you're all invited.

J.Vizuete
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#104 Post by J.Vizuete »

Mattstolz wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:13 pm the bottle im waiting for the biggest occasion to open is 1988 Biondi Santi. In reality it probably won't make it past my 35th birthday (88 birth year).

the occasion that I have the most bottles ready for is paying off student loans. 2013 grad year so there is a ton of Italian wine, some Cali, and some Burgs are on deck for a big celebration. you're all invited.
Oh, student loan repayment will be 02 Salon for me!
John

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Mattstolz »

J.Vizuete wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:30 pm
Mattstolz wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:13 pm the bottle im waiting for the biggest occasion to open is 1988 Biondi Santi. In reality it probably won't make it past my 35th birthday (88 birth year).

Oh, student loan repayment will be 02 Salon for me!
haha I read this at first and was like "oh thats out of my price range" but then realized I've got like 10 bottles lined up and it would be pretty easy to swap them for a couple bottles of Salon (at least from a price perspective)

J.Vizuete
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#106 Post by J.Vizuete »

It’s a drop in the bucket compared to my student loans, lol
John

Chris C a r y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Chris C a r y »

2016 Goat Rocks Syrah. 10 year anniversary of our first harvest at our home vineyard. We made Pinot, Sangiovese, and gewurztraminer also, but the Syrah is best I think. And I know where the bottles are.

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by ChrisJames »

Adam Frisch wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:12 pm Any of my old Amarone bottles from my collection, probably. Not because I enjoy the style, not anymore, but they're all pushing 25 years or older of age and they don't do well when aged for too long (in my opinion), so in order to have mercy on them, that would probably be my drink.
I can't drink the stuff anymore, but I used to be a huge Amarone fan. I had some Bertani and Masi from the 1960s about fifteen years ago (so let's say they were 40 yr old) that were just fantastic. Even better was Masi's Recioto Bianco from the early 70s. These used to go for nothing at auction because no one cared about the stuff. Perhaps not much different now.

David Baum

#109 Post by David Baum »

2003 Insignia on September 20th 2021 and again on that date in 2024. The second will likely be the last of my stash I drink but the first of them I drink with my daughter

Nick M e n i l l o

#110 Post by Nick M e n i l l o »

Probably the 2014 jadot Chevalier Montrachet. Or would that be too soon?

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#111 Post by Adam Frisch »

ChrisJames wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:53 pm
Adam Frisch wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:12 pm Any of my old Amarone bottles from my collection, probably. Not because I enjoy the style, not anymore, but they're all pushing 25 years or older of age and they don't do well when aged for too long (in my opinion), so in order to have mercy on them, that would probably be my drink.
I can't drink the stuff anymore, but I used to be a huge Amarone fan. I had some Bertani and Masi from the 1960s about fifteen years ago (so let's say they were 40 yr old) that were just fantastic. Even better was Masi's Recioto Bianco from the early 70s. These used to go for nothing at auction because no one cared about the stuff. Perhaps not much different now.
Yep, same here. I have some top producers as well, like Quintarelli and Dal Forno, but to me I just get that sweet raisiny tone that's blanketing all. What I should do is do a huge Amarone-themed dinner and get rid of it ll in one go! But I mean, what would you serve with it? It's such big stuff, hard to pair.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Steve L Gellman »

08 Cristal Rose

J.Vizuete
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#113 Post by J.Vizuete »

Adam Frisch wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 3:57 am
Yep, same here. I have some top producers as well, like Quintarelli and Dal Forno, but to me I just get that sweet raisiny tone that's blanketing all. What I should do is do a huge Amarone-themed dinner and get rid of it ll in one go! But I mean, what would you serve with it? It's such big stuff, hard to pair.
I wouldn’t be so down on it... my first experience with (young) Amarone was at Per Se in NYC - they had wrapped a quail in caul fat and sautéed it, served with a cherry gastrique. The pairing was sensational. You just need some big/fruity flavors and substantial acidity in the food to match up.

And on a different note, I tasted 74 and 75 Bertani in 2019, so age ~45 and they were just fantastic, among my best red wines of the year. Would venture a guess that the two producers you mention will be even better. At that age they lose some of the syrupy sweetness which gets replaced with flavors that resemble old port or even sherry.

And if you remain unconvinced, I’m certain I can find someone who will be able to find a good home for them ;)
John

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Howard Cooper »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: October 30th, 2020, 4:08 am

I hit the big 6.0 in 5.1 years, but was hoping not to think about it.
60 in five years? [wow.gif] I thought you were young? [rofl.gif]
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Howard Cooper »

In 4 1/2 years, I will turn 70. [In 2022, we will be celebrating our 40th anniversary, so that is more on my mind than 5 years from now.] I am sure I will find something in my cellar worthy of these occasions. In the meantime, in a few weeks we are having a few friends over for dinner for the first time in over a year. Everyone will have been vaccinated + 2 weeks (in my case + over a month and a half). Time to pull out the Truchot - a 1999 Clos de la Roche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Howard

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

You would have Osso Bucco, which is the one excuse for amarone, in my opinion. I don't like it either - the taste of raisins in wine is a turnoff for me, though I like raisins themselves - but even I have to admit the pairing is stupendous. Good enough that I'll happily drink my share my share on those occasions, provided it's Quintarelli.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Howard Cooper wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:45 am

I know, visually it’s quite confusing!

Damn, you turn 70 then! Now that is old. [wow.gif]
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

@lfert

AndrewH

#118 Post by AndrewH »

J.Vizuete wrote: April 1st, 2021, 7:39 pm It’s a drop in the bucket compared to my student loans, lol
If your loans get forgiven, you have to share the Salon with some taxpayers.

Anyway, my answer:

Either a 2000 Lynch Bages or a 2002 DP.
Last edited by AndrewH on April 2nd, 2021, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by Mark Golodetz »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:54 am

You would have Osso Bucco, which is the one excuse for amarone, in my opinion. I don't like it either - the taste of raisins in wine is a turnoff for me, though I like raisins themselves - but even I have to admit the pairing is stupendous. Good enough that I'll happily drink my share my share on those occasions, provided it's Quintarelli.
I routinely make Osso Buco for wine events. Partially because all the work is in the preparation and I don’t have to spend time in the kitchen. But the real bonus is that half the people can’t bring themselves to eat the marrow, which usually means I have extra.
ITB

JoeD

#120 Post by JoeD »

'82 LMHB
'18 D&R Legends Mag
-J0E D@BR0WSK1

Tom R W

#121 Post by Tom R W »

In general I agree with the "smoke 'em if you got 'em" crowd. We've lost too many friends and family in the last few years (pre-covid) and now the stressors of the past year. I've enjoyed pulling the cork on something special, if for the only reason that it forces you to to pay attention to it, celebrate the good, and momentarily forget about the other crap. I'm sure a psychologist might call that avoidance, but I prefer to call it drinking wine.

In 5 years my oldest turns 21, so there are some birth-year 2005's that I've purposefully avoided. I'm not sure why, but in my head I see me serving the 2005 Hillside Select on his birthday, so that will be it.
W a r r e n

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Brent S »

1995 pontet canet. Oldest bottle in my collection that I bought upon release. In the next few years when I retire from my current profession I will drink it.
Br en t. Sp ren kle
Manhattan Beach, Ca

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by HoosJustinG »

in 5 years, I'll celebrate turning 40 together with a bottle of '86 something... Mouton?
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Jidhin R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Jidhin R. »

Odette Reserve Cabernet 2015 for our anniversary. Loved the Estate Cab so excited to finally get a chance to open this, just hope it's not too young!
Blips and Chitz!!!

Ramankutty

MBerto
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by MBerto »

I am not An Old like many here I think in about 5 years the first of the Bedrock WaW trios will be ready to go. Or maybe some of the A-R Cab Mags I have.

As an aside in connection with this post I was looking at drinking windows for my cellar on CT. I know this has been discussed before but these are laughable (and I know they're set by the community and I can override). 2010 Bedrock Monte Rosso Zin window closed in 2019? Come on son.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Eric White »

I'm thinking that might be about the time to pop my one lone bottle of 1990 Lafite (anniversary year wine).

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by Ed Steinway »

Eric White wrote:
I'm thinking that might be about the time to pop my one lone bottle of 1990 Lafite (anniversary year wine).
1990 is also our anniversary year. No Lafite to open, but we do have some Lynch Bages and Haut Bailly to open.

Ed

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Howard Cooper »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 5:02 am
Howard Cooper wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:45 am

I know, visually it’s quite confusing!

Damn, you turn 70 then! Now that is old. [wow.gif]
But, you are still practicing law (and now in a big firm) so you are aging much faster than I am. Compare wine aging in a dark, temperature controlled environment (me) with aging next to a furnace with huge amounts of vibration (you). pileon
Howard

Michael O'Brien

#129 Post by Michael O'Brien »

Either a 1989 Chateau Margaux or a 1989 Chateau Latour if I am still around. Probably both. I will be turn 83 that year. Drink them while I can still taste them. [cheers.gif]
PlanoWino

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Vince T »

50th in 2027. Starter of '02 krug and krug 164 maybe? Then a main course of '77 taylor, '77 blandy's terrantez, and '01 yquem. Followed by 50 units of insulin for dessert. Nightcap of '77 darroze armagnac.
T s 3 n g

HenryB

#131 Post by HenryB »

I bought 18 bottles of 2017 Mon Aieul as a wedding anniversary wine. In 5 years it should be starting to come into prime, so hopefully get to drink one a yearea over the subsequent 18 :)

Not the most expensive wine in the collection by any means, nor the rarest, but we both love it.

Singular bottles, I recently won a magnum of 2015 Sanctus Sanctorum at auction. That's a unicorn wine for me, but I dont think +5 years is gonna get it near prime
|3 r 0 w |\|

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by ChrisJames »

I have a friend who visited the Veneto and learned that horse meat is a popular pairing with Amarone. I have two 20 year old horses I could donate to your dinner. ;-)

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by ChrisJames »

J.Vizuete wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:42 am

I wouldn’t be so down on it... my first experience with (young) Amarone was at Per Se in NYC - they had wrapped a quail in caul fat and sautéed it, served with a cherry gastrique. The pairing was sensational. You just need some big/fruity flavors and substantial acidity in the food to match up.

And on a different note, I tasted 74 and 75 Bertani in 2019, so age ~45 and they were just fantastic, among my best red wines of the year. Would venture a guess that the two producers you mention will be even better. At that age they lose some of the syrupy sweetness which gets replaced with flavors that resemble old port or even sherry.

And if you remain unconvinced, I’m certain I can find someone who will be able to find a good home for them ;)
I always thought Bertani was one of the best Amarone producers. You can actually drink the stuff as table wine. Dal Forno is so concentrated, it's like syrup.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by Jim Stewart »

I am a little further down the road compared to many here, although still footsteps behind a few of you. In not quite five years I have my 75th b'day, followed several months later by our 50th anniversary. I have mentally targeted bottles of 2008 Dom and 2008 Cristal to headline the wine drinking for those celebrations. Hope to stay on this (sometimes shaky) conveyor belt until then and far beyond. But who know? So let's all carpe diem while we wait. Cheers.
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

He's a wino, tried and true!
-Guy Clark

Brian Pinci
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by Brian Pinci »

I will be 65 in one year. I will open my ‘82 Mouton!
Brian Pinci

Pat Esposito

#136 Post by Pat Esposito »

2026 will be our 20th anniversary, so probably some '06 Krug and Dom that I have, as well as some '06 Monte Bello and Scarecrow.

I've been sitting on a bottle each of '85 Rayas and '85 Juge that we are opening next Saturday side by side, can't wait for 5 more years.

Zachary Mancini

#137 Post by Zachary Mancini »

I might pop a 16 DC Lake vineyard bottle since I have a few. But I have a lot of good 16s. Time will tell I guess.

G. Bienstock

#138 Post by G. Bienstock »

In 4 more years for the 65 it will be 90 Margaux.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Odd Rydland

#139 Post by Odd Rydland »

75 ears old in 2026. 99 Mugnier Musigny and 2008 Cristal probably.

Zachary Mancini

#140 Post by Zachary Mancini »

I’m a little young at 26. So 5 years will be my 31st bday. I’ll open something nice on my 30th.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by alan weinberg »

shit. I’ll be 70. What happened? Will do big wines all year.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#142 Post by Jayson Cohen »

alan weinberg wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 9:11 am shit. I’ll be 70. What happened? Will do big wines all year.
Magnums?

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by alan weinberg »

Jayson Cohen wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 9:58 am
alan weinberg wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 9:11 am shit. I’ll be 70. What happened? Will do big wines all year.
Magnums?
mostly signifiant 750s. Depends on if there is in person friend dining again and not another pandemic.

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by maureen nelson »

Howard Cooper wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:48 am In 4 1/2 years, I will turn 70. [In 2022, we will be celebrating our 40th anniversary, so that is more on my mind than 5 years from now.] I am sure I will find something in my cellar worthy of these occasions. In the meantime, in a few weeks we are having a few friends over for dinner for the first time in over a year. Everyone will have been vaccinated + 2 weeks (in my case + over a month and a half). Time to pull out the Truchot - a 1999 Clos de la Roche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a great Truchot (IMHO the best CdR he made). Be sure to post a note.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by Craig G »

Who knew that Truchot made Cotes du Rhone?

newhere
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by Howard Cooper »

maureen nelson wrote: April 4th, 2021, 5:14 pm
Howard Cooper wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:48 am In 4 1/2 years, I will turn 70. [In 2022, we will be celebrating our 40th anniversary, so that is more on my mind than 5 years from now.] I am sure I will find something in my cellar worthy of these occasions. In the meantime, in a few weeks we are having a few friends over for dinner for the first time in over a year. Everyone will have been vaccinated + 2 weeks (in my case + over a month and a half). Time to pull out the Truchot - a 1999 Clos de la Roche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a great Truchot (IMHO the best CdR he made). Be sure to post a note.
Have not had the 2005 since having some from the barrel at Truchot in 2007, but otherwise I agree with you. I love the 1999, which is why I am opening it up.
Howard

Tmason

#147 Post by Tmason »

Duroche Chambertin Clos de Beze 2010 in magnum or 2010 Fourrier Griotte Chambertin.
T o m Mason

BryanG

#148 Post by BryanG »

Vince T wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 10:35 am 50th in 2027. Starter of '02 krug and krug 164 maybe? Then a main course of '77 taylor, '77 blandy's terrantez, and '01 yquem. Followed by 50 units of insulin for dessert. Nightcap of '77 darroze armagnac.
I like the way you party. I'm eyeing some '01 yquem bottles to buy for a future celebration... I just haven't tried that vintage and it's personally difficult for me to commit to an $$$ bottle for aging if I haven't tried it.

No special occasions anticipated for me in 5 years, but I've got another '13 Mayacamas that I'm itching to open (again). Not old, but dang it's delicious.
Bryan G
Wine. Scotch. Beer. Yes Please.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by alan weinberg »

we are about the same age—I’ll bring Truchot CdlR 2005 and we can toast each other.

JBucholz

#150 Post by JBucholz »

A jeroboam of 2010 Ch Giscours for our 50th wedding anniversary celebration.
J 1 M

Return to “Wine Talk”