TN: 1994 Caves São João Cabernet Sauvignon Quinta do Poço do Lobo

At the risk of being accused of using superlatives.

• 1994 Caves São João Cabernet Sauvignon Quinta do Poço do Lobo - Portugal, Beiras, Bairrada (10/28/2020)
    Terrific. Fully mature. I am surprised this did not get higher praise. Fully mature tertiary nose of mushroom, soil, green bell peppers, menthol, some hints of tobacco and oak/cigar box. Palate is totally resolved and just plain smooth with no sharpness, mild tannins and low acidity. Reminds me of an higher end 82 Bordeaux where the fruit has faded yet still shows well. Every bit as good as many 30+ year old cabs/ classified growths. Drink up. I give myself 2 years to drink the other 11, but at 40/per no biggie. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This is a brilliant winery. Their top reds are very often off-the-charts good with legendary ageing potential, some old vintages of their Porta dos Cavaleiros Reserva Branco are real game changers, and they even make very good sparklers.

What Tvrtko said. All three major labels (Poço do Lobo, Frei João, Porta dos Cavaleiros) are worth exploring in the back vintages. The 1980s whites are perfectly glorious. Recently has a 1979 red Frei João out of magnum which was showing very well still.

Let’s not forget the Caves Sao Joao Reserva, probably the most glorious of them all :slight_smile:

The 1990 is still not at peak!

Awesome thread. I love caves sao joao wines and think they age brilliantly. I would love to find some of this cabernet as I’ve really only explored their baga. I purchased a few 85 bagas and they have been drinking exceptionally well over the last year.

There’s a huge stock of back vintages available directly from the winery, but I imagine transatlantic shipping costs must be insane.

Caves São João was featured in the latest issue of Portugal’s Revista de Vinhos, with a really nice photo shoot and report on their history and current activities. The winner of the tasting among the panel was 1966 white Frei João (!), followed by the 1996 vintage of this very Poço do Lobo Cabernet. The 1966 is no cheapie at 300€, but people have paid more for great wines in the past. The 1996 Cabernet is a ridiculous 15,70€.

“Peak” is always a bit debatable, of course, but, in my world, 1990, 1995 and 2000 are all drinking great right now, and so is the 2001 Frei Joao. Even the 2002 Cavaleiros is kind of agreeable :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
BTW, I think this thread should die. We’re not helping things :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Their cellars are remarkable. Bin after bin after bin of bottles and magnums going back to the 70’s and beyond. I was told one of the principles thought of the wines like his children and didn’t want to sell them. They also didn’t slow down production after the Carnation revolution even after they lost their major overseas markets.
Absolutely remarkable prices at the cellar as well.

I have long wondered what accounts for their huge stock of old vintages. It runs contrary to most commercial logic.

Cool to see this producer getting much deserved praise. I loved their 1986 barraida (baga) which was stunning and nebbiolo- like

I had the '94 Reserva earlier this year and thought it fantastic. Hopefully some of these wines continue to maintain a presence in my local market.