Giacosa Barbaresco Gallina 1996

Our first bottle, a Gruaud Larose 1978, which I have written about elsewhere, was corked. The Giacosa was not corked, but a little disappointing. On the plus side, it was complex, earthy, forest floor and very tertiary. On the minus side, it lacked freshness and fruit. It wasn’t old, just seemed fatigued. One glass, no second one. 86

bummer

I am running at a 50% split between OMG and meh with older Giacosa

I have a much better average; this is the second poor bottle in the last twenty years out of around 50. Other 1996s have been fantastic.

Does Gallina provide any particular characteristics across producers? I have some experience with Oddero‘s bottling, which i enjoyed. Cantina del Pino also has vines in Gallina, but i have not had the wine. Does Giacosa still put out a Gallina bottling? Any other producers to look out for?

Cantina del Pino doesn’t list a Gallina bottling on their website. In any event, they use some new oak on at least some of their Barbarescos, so the style is quite different.

The answer to all questions about what Giacosa has ever produced is on Ken Vastola’s website.

Thanks, John, for sharing your impressions of Cantina del Pino. The 2016 Cantina del Pino Gallina is available right now at Flatiron NYC. Judging by Cellartracker listings, they have only made a Gallina for the past few years.

Thanks also for recommending Ken’s website. It looks like Giacosa stopped producing a Gallina wine in the late 90s.

The Gallina grapes Giacosa was using have been going to Ugo Lequio for quite a few years. Ugo also makes Barbera from Gallina.

N.B. I offer his wines in the US.