2017 Jouan Chambolle Musigny VV

Like the GC Aux Echezeaux, just superb with earth, super pure, floral, and transparent fruits on the nose, and a beautiful generous palate.

Thanks for the note. It seems I may need to try these wines out soon. What would you compare them to stylistically?

I’ve drank only a handful Jouan wines and have been impressed by some bottles and very let down by others. I’ve found the Aux Echezeaux to be a bit clunky and disjointed on more than one experience, although more experienced tasters than me quite enjoyed the same bottle. The MSD villages I thought was much better. I haven’t had the Chambolle, but glad it showed well. I’d like to taste more, but am hesitant to buy.

In my somewhat limited experience, they have a Morey house style that accentuates that earthy savory quality. To me they are closer to Georges Lignier than Hubert Lignier, but maybe with a bit more density than Georges. Taupenot Merme comes to mind as somewhat comparable…

I think they are a little unique in that their house style seems to emphasize aromatics and weightlessness/transparency over power. Not sure what the best comparison would be. I’ve found Jouan to be best in riper vintages, though.

I like Jouan’s wines a good bit. I think my favorite vintage from them (at least drinking them young) was 2010. Maybe that was because I got to try the villages GC, MSD and CM together here at Weygandt Wines and got to see how each wine differed from the other. Fascinating.

I think their winemaking is very much of MSD. I see a lot of MSD producers that make wines in a very pure style and I would say that Jouan makes wines in that style.

I would describe the style as rather old-fashioned, emphasizing supple tannins and earthy but generous fruit. Viticulture is resolutely “conventional”, but they have great old vine holdings in top sites. Winemaking is quite classic, with destemming, three-week cuvaison, and basket pressing. Elevage is mostly in François Frères barrels with the proprietary “Drouhin toast” that Jouan uses for his own barrels as well as those sold to Drouhin.

I don’t think any of the names mentioned in Morey as points of comparison really have much in common with Jouan in terms of the house style, as e.g. someone like Taupenot Merme has a much more modern style of winemaking, with stainless steel, heated post-fermentation maceration, etc etc.

I am sleeping on a few Jouan Clos Saint Denis 2012… (Clos St denis is one of my favorite Grand Cru so I also have a few Bertagna 09/12/16, Castagnier, Ponsot… )

I have never been a big fan of comparing new world and old world producers, but Jouan is what I kept thinking from a stylistic comparison while drinking the Goodfellow Lewman Pinot the other day.

I defer to William!

I appreciate that David. While we’re not trying to make copies of anything, I feel like there is a resemblance to Jouan, and MSD in general, in my wines. I’ve always appreciated the elegance and weightlessness of the commune when done well.

The wines of Jouan are typically, lovely and fresh, pure, red fruited, and cool toned, and generally delicious.

I’ve had 2002, 2005 and 2009 vintages of this wine, all lovely and now all gone. They are just too easy to drink. I just have 2015 and 2017 left. I also like Jouan’s Sorbes and Clos St. Denis.

Please don’t, I’ll get into bad habits.

You might enjoy drinking one now, honestly. And I say this as a proselyte for the merits of old wine.

Thanks William. Will do.

I regularly change which Jouan village wine is my favorite. Generally it’s the one in front of me.

However, the 2017 Gevrey Aux Echezeaux is a triumph, and I had to double check that I hadn’t accidentally opened a Clos Sorbe. It was that good. The Morey and Chambolle are both certainly fine as well.

When describing Jouan, I generally start by saying what they aren’t. They are not modern or polished. They are not extracted or oaky. They don’t require decades to be ready. They don’t try too hard. They don’t taste expensive. Just old-school cool. I’m glad Philippe has followed in Henri’s footsteps.

Sadly their production is tiny, especially relative to their plaudits on this board.

Do you still buy Jouan Brady from across the pond?
Missing you in the EU (not for long… in the EU)

I still buy Jouan over there, Antoine.

I picked up some here at auction in the spring. Also bought some Bourgogne and village 17’s to keep my hands off the CSD’s.

Miss you too, buddy. No London January en primeur tasting in the cards for me this year, sadly.

I did open the CSD 2012 last night and William is absolutely right, it is ready for drinking with a nice combination of fruit and maturity, not the purest but quite pleasurable… the Lady was pleased. With Guinea fowl.