Best $150-200 Champagne?

I normally drink Champagne in the $75 and under range, but a friend is coming over (we all quarantined for 2 weeks!) to celebrate a special occasion. What’s the best $150-200 bottle of champagne that’s readily available, e.g. at a K&L or JJ Buckley?

Thanks WB!

Readily available anywhere - Krug MV

Well, apparently these days, Taittinger Comtes

2008 Dom Perignon though seemingly no longer available at either of your retailers of choice but still widely available in that range across the country.

1 Like

Vilmart Couer du Cuvee. Pierre Peters Les Chatillons. MV Krug Brut.

This but I’d also add 2002 Cuvée Rare 2002 Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Cuvée Rare, France, Champagne - CellarTracker
and
'99 Liesse d’Harbonville 1999 Ployez-Jacquemart Champagne Liesse d'Harbonville, France, Champagne - CellarTracker

K&L has 2002 Billecart-Salmon “Cuvée Nicolas François Billecart” for $180 which is a pretty stellar bottle of wine.

Kyle, what champages in that range do you want to try that you haven’t yet? What are you looking for? (something yeasty/bready vs mineral/acid driven, large house tete de cuvee vs grower, classic vs unique…) I realize that “readily available” implies you can’t just snap your fingers and make an aged bottle of Cedric Bouchard appear; but I read your message like you’re ready to splurge a bit. I’d suggest to use that as an opportunity to taste something you’ve read about here and are already interested in. As always, remember your audience…

/thread

All, thank you for the responses so far!

I knew there would be follow up questions [rofl.gif]. I left my post intentionally vague because I wanted to see the gamut of recommendations. I’m open to big houses vs grower, rare vs common, etc. In terms of taste, while I veer towards the toasted brioche part of the spectrum, I honestly don’t know what everyone’s palate is like, so I’m open to it all. I don’t drink a lot of expensive champagne so there’s plenty of stuff on bucket list whether is 08 Dom, Krug 168, or the ever vilified Taittinger CdC.

They have the 2006 for $100 which is a steal IMHO. Certainly not as drinkable as the 2002, but a great wine to have in the future. Just had a 98 a few months ago and it was in a near perfect place.

Don’t sleep on the current bottling of Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle No 24. Opened a bottle recently and it was pretty easily the best bottle of suds I’ve had in 2020, even including 08 Dom and Cristal (granted these two will unfurl in time but they’re tight as a drum in my experience now).

I recall having a Grand Siecle of unknown base vintages about a decade ago and it being fine, but No 24 is memorable.

I ask because I would approach the situation differently dependent on your answer. If you like broad, creamy champagnes and have been reading the Tattinger CdC thread with interest, go for it. Better yet, source an older vintage. If your friend is a wine aficionado as well and will appreciate it, consider opting for something unique like Prevost Closerie (below your budget), Egly Ouriet GC Crayeres (BdN), or an elegant bottle from Bérêche, Leclapart, or Ulysse Collin; pick the one that excites you most. If your friend is less interested, perhaps aim for a big house that might have some name recognition (Dom, Cristal, Krug) so the next time your friend is at a restaurant and sees it on the menu at 3-4x cost, he/she will remember tasting it with you and further recognize the special nature of a tete de cuvee. Along those lines, 02 Bollinger RD and 02 Piper Heidseick Rare both fit the bill and are drinking great.

Were I in your scenario, I would personally want to try the 95 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires.

1 Like

Second Taittinger Comtes.
K&L just got in some 2008 at the top of your budget and also has the 2007 for a little under.

My list exactly. Maybe add Selosse Initial if you like the oxidative style, but there’s a lot of variation with that one.

How much of a wine lover is your friend? If, he likes wine but does not know that much about it I would go with Dom Perignon because everyone knows the wine.

If he is a wine geek, give him a 2006 Dom Ruinart to try if the stores have it.

1 Like

My vote is for Jerome Prevost La Closerie, Selosse Initial or Krug grand cuvée.

I would choose either Pierre Peters Les Chetillons, Philipponnat Clos de Goisses, or Selosse Initial. All unique and superb Champagnes. champagne.gif

Pierre Peters Chetillons and Selosse Initial are my top picks too. for Chetillons, try to find the 2012, which is drinking wonderfully right now. The 2013 will be great in time but is extremely tight at the moment.