TN: 2016 Qupé Syrah Bien Nacido Hillside Estate

• 2016 Qupé Syrah Bien Nacido Hillside Estate - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (10/27/2020)
    Pobeaga’d from straight from Fedex. Olive, smoke meats and acid on the nose. More savory that fruity on the palate, Its clearly new world tasting with old world style. Smoky tannins, acid, smoked meat, and briny notes on the palate for me. The front of the palate is intense with acid and smoke it shifts toward some fruit in the mid-palate fruit and more acid into a medium-length finish. Not too much tannin on the finish. Driven by the acid, end to end. Overall I’m enjoying this bottle young but see no problem with this bottle going another 5-10+ years before its really entering its drinking window. Nice wine at retail. Silly QPR if you got in on the blowout.

Corks are in great shape. little penetration. They’ve been stored standing up. Naturual Closure is still very firm.

Posted from CellarTracker

[dance-clap.gif] I see you waited all of 15 minutes for the dust to settle to open one [thumbs-up.gif]

Totally cracking one of these straight off the truck.

Can’t believe I didn’t buy more than 1 case, biggest drop of the year [head-bang.gif]

Hey Sean, thanks for the note. I’m not trying to be facetious here, but how can you tell they have been stored standing up? I’ve had 25 year old bottles that I know that have been stored on their side that have little penetration into the cork. I think this is more indicative of cork quality and quality of the seal and proper cellaring than how the wine was stored.

I feel the same way for only getting a 6 pack!

There is virtually no penetration at all less than 1mm. That combined with no crystals or sediment on the cork at all tells me this wine was stored standing up. Just my guess. I could be wrong.

Sean

[soap.gif] Excellent note. What a deal that I missed! [soap.gif]

Looking forward to my case! Haven’t gotten it yet, though. Will probably come about the time I am inundated with cases from De Negoce.

Opened a 2005 vintage of this wine a few weeks ago. It was still very good. And had stuffing to go further. Even if these were purchased at a daily drinker price might be worth keeping a few back.