TNs: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Spätlese trocken battle

Decided to do a head-to-head of two spätlese trocken in the 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein line-up tonight. Drank from Grassl Mineralité glasses.
Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 8.20.42 PM.jpg
2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Altenberg Riesling Spätlese trocken
Compared to the Ober Schäfershaus, this wine is a little austere and has more mineral character on the nose, with kaffir lime, tangerine peel, organic soil, and wet stone minerality. The wine is expansive on the palate, with mouthwatering acidity, and underripe citrus fruit and stone minerality that lingers on the finish. I’m hopeful this wine will blossom with some more bottle age.

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Ober Schäfershaus Riesling Spätlese trocken
Unlike the Altenberg, this wine has more expressive citrus and stone fruit character. Ebullient nose of grapefruit, apricot, honeysuckle, ginger, and lemon peel, with yellow flower tones completing the bouquet. On the palate the wine is bright and fresh, with that trademark racy acidity, and there is a good balance of citrus and chalky minerality on the finish. I find this more crystalline and pure on the palate than the Altenberg. Immensely enjoyable.

At this time at least, the Ober Schäfershaus is my favorite of the two.

The altenberg really needs a lot of air - almost too austere initially with lots of spice and bitter citrus rinds. But it picks up considerably after a couple of days in the fridge

Apart from test runs, I have told myself to wait 10 years with these. That goes for the Kabi Trockens as well
Maybe 10 years is too short cellaring

Yep, exactly my impression on day 1. I still have half a bottle I’ll save for later this week.

It’s worth noting, too, that the Kabi trockens have the ripeness levels of the Spätlese and Auslese trockens from the eighties and nineties.

Tried the Kabinett trocken first last night from my mixed case from Jay, that one is 11%! Looking forward to trying the other three.

Actually amazing. Auslese and Spätlese Trocken from 90’s and beginning of this century are so fantastic. This one among many many others:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8V1P7HHQMw/?igshid=19fe31zkjnrl6

My first round of 2019 Falkenstein purchases I didn’t have any Kabi trocken offered. Fixing that now.

Unless my wife finished a bottle, I should still have some left of both bottles to try tonight after a couple days in the fridge. Curious to see how the Altenberg changes in particular.