TN: 2018 Osamu Uchida Miracle (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)

I’ve been keen to try this for a while. Some will know the producer. A Japanese man farming a less than a single hectare up near Mouton and making only 2500-3500 bottles a year. Prior vintages have been under 12% alcohol. This is 13% on the label.

Fascinating. I’d love to know more about this producer and wine. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear on WSPro that there is any for sale in the USA.

1 Like

Hi Chris. I think 1/3 is exported to Japan. That doesn’t leave a lot for the rest of the world. I’m hoping to get up there to visit shortly.

Just rub it in, Big Russ: “Yea, I’ll hop on my bike and just roll over there . . . .” And send pics! Sounds fun.

Read about this estate in the new Jane Anson book and would love to get my hands on some. Sounds like such a cool bottling. Thanks for the note.

Thanks Russell - I’ve heard of this but never seen it anywhere, let alone tried it. Sounds like my sort of wine and yet another for us geeks to get our little mits on!

Damn, that looks just like me - well, with a little more hair!

2019 @ flatiron if anybody is interested. I grabbed some, would love to hear some additional impressions if anybody has tried it.

Yep…currently at Flatiron for March delivery. Expensive for what seems to be a more modern (meaning early drinking, not jammy) Bordeaux, but an interesting project. I’m in for a couple.

1 Like

I should add a disclosure that I’m now selling this. Albeit in a quantity lower than I would like to buy for myself!

And? Shipping to your bestest wine/cycling buddies!?!

[cheers.gif]

Delivery by bike within the Bordeaux Rocade!

First try of the Uchida Pet Nat today, won’t post a note as we are going to sell it but I’d suggest getting a bottle if you see it! 100% Cab Sauv, light salmon/orange, 10% alc.

Just FYI - got an email from Flatiron today with an offer on their 2020s (Merlot Melodie, Miracle, and Pheromone Rouge NV).

Rather than create a new thread, I will add here.

Drinking the '20 Miracle now and it is sick good. Most incredibly pure BDX x CS I’ve had in a long time. Had the Pheremone a little bit ago and a shade less (and oddly transient) but still great. I grabbed both from Flatiron earlier this year. The natty underbelly of BDX has been the most exciting aspect of wine in the last six months for me.

• 2020 Osamu Uchida Miracle - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (5/9/2023)
    This is beautiful. The pretty side of CS. Young and slightly aggressive on the front palate. Nose is black currants and saddle oil and a little ripe vegetal fruits on the exit. Fruits are more red and subdued. Bright acids, really great precision and harmony. Intense beyond the weight. Long dry down with classic BDX CS profile - a little pencil, more leather and faint tobacco. Complex and delightful. (92 points)
  • NV Osamu Uchida Phéromone - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (4/16/2023)
    Surprisingly big and aggro. Lots of dark plums, leather and figgy pudding spice on the nose. Big loose structure and lots of elbows. Dark fruits were more a frame than main. Finishes looser and airs to earthier and slightly sweeter fruit with still plenty of structure. A kind of meditative wine more than dinner wine.

eta - Was surprised a day later that this had turned very flabby and pretty much a generic cheap red. (91 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

Glad you enjoyed them but that’s a funny showing for the Pheremone. Normally it’s the easier drinking version with a little semi carbonic.

I think I have one of the 20/21 versions left. I’ll check it soon.

I thought so too. Curious what you experience.