TNs: Aligoté, All Day; 1 Afternoon, 7 Aligotés

A local somm here in town has put together a couple of (socially distanced, small-scale) informal tastings amongst restaurant industry folks while our jobs have mostly disappeared into the ether of COVID-19. The first was Austrian wine with a few examples of Blaufränkisch, Zweigelt, and St. Laurent and this second one was one near and dear to my wine-nerd, Burgundy-obsessed heart; a veritable murderer’s row, who’s who of Aligoté. A couple folks were super kind and brought bottles as well to fill out the lineup.

We wanted to see if there was a common thread that ran through this somewhat elusive grape and if we could try to nail down its essence; instead, we found that Aligoté, like Chardonnay, is an exceedingly transparent vehicle for the winemaker. I came to the conclusion that since Aligoté is mostly a passion project for the top producers, it’s almost a love letter, of sorts; a statement of one’s winemaking ethos and values, mostly divorced from the economic motivations and stereotypes of white Burgundy terroirs and styles. Most of the best seem to come from old vines and the Aligoté doré strain, and we were fortunate to have in front of us what are a handful of the best Aligotés in the world.

A few short TNs:

2017 Pierre Morey Bourgogne Aligoté

40+ old vines. This was basically exactly what I think of when I think of this grape; lightly herbal, made in a reductive, flinty, smoky style but still razor-sharp and fresh. Nice saline finish.

2017 Comte Armand Bourgogne Aligoté

What class. 90+ year old vines, and a very “serious” example of Aligoté; lightly creamy, somewhat reductive. Brought up in 500+ litre wooden foudres. Icy, and maybe even a bit emotionally distant, but incredible balance. I’d put this up against almost anyone else’s Bourgogne as far as pure quality goes, and forget the apéritif; this is a wine that could carry you through an entire meal.

2017 François Mikulski Bourgogne Aligoté

From vines planted in the 20s and 40s. One sniff and I blurted out “what is this, Aligoté Musqué?!” Yellow apple, honey, and an almost tropical fruit quality on the nose. Really, really different, and while I’ve had this bottle before, the contrast between it and most of the others was stark.

2018 Domaine de Villaine Bouzeron

Probably the disappointment of the tasting for me; I’d been curious to try this bottle for ages, and I was really surprised at the complete lack of expressiveness. Almost nothing on the nose; the texture was decent and somewhat lees-y, but ultimately, it basically drank like heavy water with crisp acid.

2016 Domaine Ponsot Morey-Saint-Denis 1er Cru Clos des Monts Luisants Blanc

100+(!) year old vines, and, of course, the unicorn of Burgundy; the only Premier Cru Aligoté on the planet. Wow. WOW. If you ever thought Aligoté was just something you tossed in a Kir, think again; luscious crème brûlée and caramel-covered popcorn on the nose with incredible power and breadth. So weighty, nutty, rounded, and but that steely finish of beautiful acid belies the variety. Beguiling. Maybe not quite it for the price, but I’m so glad to have the opportunity to have tried this.

2017 Domaine Ramonet Bouzeron

I’ve had the 2016 version of this cuvée before and thought it was great, and this was a worthy successor. Also similar to the Comte Armand in its reductive, smoky, flinty bent but perhaps even more lean and steely. I described it as a ballerina in my previous TN and I think it’s still a good metaphor. Again, the winemaking prowess on full display here. Loved it.

2015 Domaine Henri Naudin-Ferrand Bourgogne Aligoté

A somewhat more naturalista bottling, it was cool to see Aligoté with a touch of age. Surprisingly almost savoury, a little nutty, with a ripe, fleshy core that you could really sink your teeth into and a touch of that wild herbalness. Creamy. Really tasty.

All in all, I think the Comte Armand came out a hair ahead of the Ramonet for my tastes but the Clos des Monts Luisants was a mind-bender. In short, it was a really instructive, informal, wonderful discussion and an amazing opportunity to try these wines side by side.
image_6487327.JPG

Very nice Aligoté session!

Awesome notes Sean. Reminds me how little of this grape I know. I need to fix that. Seems the tarifs are reasonable compared to chard based white burgs.

Thanks Sean, a very fine collection of producers who make excellent Aligoté.

We did a similar dinner a few years ago at the square in london. The d’auvemay sous le chatelet was in a different league from any other aligote on the planet. Sadly, it is priced accordingly these days.

Sean, pleasure to read your notes. I have not had an Aligoté in many years, but these examples seem to be finer wines than I recall. We used to use it to make a “Kir”. Cheers.

I can’t take the credit!

For some reason, at the restaurant I work at, we (I) kept finding opportunities to buy Aligoté - we have three now, and I feel much more confident about being able to talk about them with guests.

This was an excellent lesson on the value of a good producer, even with such a “humble” grape.

Unfortunately, I think the D’Auvenay would have cost more than all the bottles we had combined, plus a month’s rent for the room we were using.

Thanks, Jim! I’ll never say no to a good - or any - Kir, and having one before dinner at a lovely restaurant in Dijon during my trip to Burgundy last year is a treasured memory.

Nice notes Sean. Will have to keep my eye out for some of these. I was on an Aligote kick over the summer, and the '17 Leflaive (joyous and savory) and the '18 PYCM (very PYCM; enjoyed it more than the BB) stood out as worth going back to. I have some of the '17 and '18 Villaine, but haven’t cracked them open yet. The '16 I had last year was very enjoyable.

Tasted a great example of this grape, the 2019 Bourgogne Aligoté En Coulezain from Les Horées, a new micro-project in Burgundy the other day. Still no website, even, but you will want to make a mental note of this name for the future! You heard it here first…

1 Like

Sean, I haven’t had the '18, but I used to sell these wines. This was the youngest wine in your tasting, and these wines are Aligote that is built for aging, so they are often tight and simple when released. Give them 5-15 years in a cool cellar and they will show a lot more in time.

Googled it anyway, William, as my “mental notes” have not been very reliable lately for some reason. You are correct, even Google has never heard of it (yet!):

It looks like there aren’t many great matches for your search

Tip: Try using words that might appear on the page you’re looking for. For example, “cake recipes” instead of "how to make a cake."

Cheers.

You don’t see it too often, but I like E. Rouget’s version.

It seems like the grape is a point of pride for many winemakers interested in keeping alive its history/heritage in the region.

When you see a winemaker treat it seriously that’s a good sign for the upper echelon of his/her range.

I definitely heard it here first, will make a note.

Leflaive was lovely, I’m sure; the Ramonet & Comte Armand from yesterday actually very much reminded me of PYCM and I remarked as such.

Thanks for your insight! I’ll take your word for it - I was just very perplexed by what was('nt) in the glass.

Absolutely! Was also seemingly quite indicative of their house style and approach to winemaking.

Thanks for the notes! I really enjoy some aligotés. Lignier and Boisson are great, and the Pataille expressions are singular IMO.

Pretty sure Wasserman is going to be bringing these in, although there won’t be much

I very prominent figure on here and IG once touted that Comte Armand. May need to get a few of these.

Anyone ever tried the François de Nicolay Bouzeron Aligoté? Comments?