Best Champagne under $40

Yes, I know this must have been discussed countless times (link please), but, in order to finish off the Legendary QPR wines thread, I need to know what you think is the greatest champagne at $40 on the shelf?

Contenders so far:

Laherte Freres Ultradition NV
Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve NV

Envoyer usually has Goutorbe Rose for <$40

Peters Reserve
Chartogne Cuvee St Anne

Wish I could find Peters for that price. Seldom see it under $50 now. Agrapart 7 Crus used to be my go to in this range but it’s now over as well. Still find Dhondt under $40. Bereche is just over the $40 mark.

Just saw Vilmart Champagne ‘Grand Reserve’ NV for $35

My house champagne is Ployez Jacquemart.

Just got a bottle, excited to try it!

My go-to is Aubry.

My house is Christian Busin (Pozner has it at Grapes White Plains - no affiliation). The ‘08 vintage is very good under $50.

Free shipping on a case. Sans shipping/tax it’s probably the equivalent of <40.

Our house champagnes are peters reserve, legras bdb and cuvée st anne

I can’t claim to be a Champagne expert or to have done extensive comparisons, but I’ve always been very happy with the Franck Bonville Grand Cru Brut Blanc de Blancs NV at $35.

That’s a good one, I used to get it a lot from k&l.

1 Like

[winner.gif]

I’m a huge fan of Marc Hebrart Brut Rose. The Blanc de Blancs is good too, both under $40.

Delamotte Brut is my go to under $40 and generally pretty widely available

Roederer NV is not only excellent value, but we have started to drink it as a substitute white wine

This is also very good for the price. I definitely prefer it to Aubry, which I find too variable. Le Mesnil coop is good in about that price range as well.

I appreciate the link, and Empire is a great source generally. That said, $49 is not $40. I don’t say that to split hairs and do appreciate the link, just feel that misses the target by too much for me to put it in the $40 conversation. Of course, I understand that is just a current link and perhaps you find better prices other times. In my local market it’s now closer to $60 so I may well consider some at the price linked.

1 Like

QQ: is Champagne hit by tariffs now? If not — imagine the blow-outs we’re going to see this Holiday season on bubbles. I wouldn’t stock up just yet. There must be an amazing back-up of the stuff waiting to let loose.

I thought it was Krug? champagne.gif