1982 Calon Segur

Opened and decanted a couple of hours before serving, but the nose was lovely as I decanted. The wine is harder than most 1982s, and the tannins which were originally quite angular have softened but not completely. It takes away some of the prettiness of most 1982s, which are almost all seamless, but I like the slight edginess.

The wine is incredibly aromatic, with reddish fruit, anise, spices and leather. There is a little bit of the roses which I associate with Calon on the nose, but it is much more dominant in the mouth. The finish still has the edginess, but it is long and complex. A very good wine, but atypical for the vintage. Very Calon, very much to my taste. No rush to drink. Somewhere around 94 points.

Thanks for the note, Mark. I’ve been holding on to a couple of these, so it’s good to get a snapshot. I’m going to give them a few more years.

Just opened a corked 1989 from my cellar! Too bad…

I opened one of mine about 5 years ago and resolved to let the rest sleep for a decade. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update Mark!

Thank you, can’t wait to try a bottle!!

Great note, Mark,

Really captures Calon, which I also like a lot and drink a fair bit of. Sometimes they delight in weaker vintages–the '98 gave me a fair amount of satisfaction; but I have not had many from '80’s.

I had this wine from a perfect cellar not too long ago and thought it was a bit old, light and not amongst the very good 1982 Bordeaux. I liked it but I was a bit underwhelmed – at least based on this specific bottle.

Same here. Holding for my sister-in-law’s 40th (2022). This report is good news. Thanks!