Off the Beaten Path Whites

Living in an almost-normal, almost post-skunk house, time to try a few interesting whites with mussels from Phil at the farmer’s market:

2019 Atma Assyrtico – The label just says Greek white wine, it’s from a producer in Naoussa, about as far as you can get from Santorini.
The aromas have moderate intensity, both steely and flowery, a nice combination. The palate is a little neutral to start, with welcome high acidity but less floral. There is some pleasant citric fruit, more lemon than grapefruit, that gathers intensity. The finish is a little abrupt. I know the fashion for very young white wine, but I believe this will improve over at least a year. Rated 87.5, up to 2 points of improvement likely over the next two years.

2018 Foris Chardonnay, Rogue River Oregon – The aromas offer up both minerals and pears, an unusual combination. The palate is clearly Chardonnay, but something of an outlier. There is spice. There are green herbs. If you told me there was some Sauvignon Blanc blended in, I would not doubt you. But this is really good wine, invigorating, with good subtle intensity, mineral, muscular, slightly herbal, a little ‘in your face’ but still polite. I’ve probably had half a dozen Foris wines, but never their Chardonnay. My bad, this is good. Rated 89, could improve a point or two.

Dan Kravitz

You don’t hear much of Foris these days, but I want to call them out for their excellent customer service. Bought a bottle of their cabernet from a small store in the area of their winery back in the 90’s. It was corked when I went to open it. I called the winery, they asked me where I purchased it and sent a replacement bottle to me at their expense. Class act.