00` Dom Perignon, 13` Larmandier-Bernier Terre de Vertus; 91` Williams Selyem Zin, 92` Hartwell Cab

During a recent trip to NW Arkansas, I enjoyed numerous wines with friends over my one week stay. Some I took and some came from the cellars of my friends. Undoubtedly, the most special bottle came from the daughter and husband of my dear friends who I stayed with. I had given it to them 10 years ago for their wedding with the idea it might be enjoyed during their honeymoon. As it turns out, they held onto it to save for another time and it was selected for my visit and dinner in their home during this visit.

2000 Dom Perignon- it was the best 00’ Dom I’ve had as it had super nice mature notes that expressed ripe stone fruit including peach and apricot with tangerine, pear and lemon zest backing up; accents of ginger, brioche and spice added to the taste profile and the creamy mousse made for a grand mouthfeel sensation that peaked during the long finish; it’s bright acidity should ensure many more viable years before it reaches its apogee. This was super rich and full bodied and a great Dom from a very challenging vintage and a further testament to the dependability of a Grande Marques shining even in “off” vintages.

313F84F8-CC57-474D-9130-E2A78A008AB4_1_201_a.jpeg
Other wines of note during this trip included:

2013 LAMANDIER-BERNIER TERRE de VERTUS 1er Cru- the is the first 2013 I’ve had and it is a good one; although not shown on the label, this is a no dose, 100% Chardonnay or BdB; for a no dosage bubbly, it sure had lots of fruit, body and texture; there’s a saline and mineral accent to the stone fruit notes which on the palate were more easily identified as being peach, lychee and mango as well as some lemon, pear and green apple; the cream like mousse gave it body and texture and as it warmed up, the flavor profile just expanded nicely.

7EEC0D84-A68A-46F3-944E-8361215175AD_1_201_a.jpeg
1991 WILLIAMS SELYEM RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY ZINFANDEL- 15.6% abv; although the fruit is sourced 100% from Martinelli Vineyard, Burt had been told he would only get one more year of fruit from them and then it would end so he took off the name and just referred to it as RRV; previous bottles have thrown a lot of sediment, so standing it up well in advance of decanting is prudent; the color was a vibrant red purple with no signs of aging; the nose had pepper and spice blueberry fruit which were the key components of the taste profile, especially the white pepper notes that were super cool; there’s also some plum, black raspberry and a bit of cola in this marvelous wine and those who had never had it raved about it and one claimed it was the best Zin he’d ever had. I must agree.

C59159C5-F623-4601-BC6C-487050032EB9_1_201_a.jpeg
1992 HARTWELL VINEYARDS STAGS LEAP DISTRICT CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- 13.2% abv; 100% Cabernet Sauvignon; sourced from a 1 acre vineyard, the label states this “combines the Grace Family budwood and the microclimate of the Stags Leap District to make it,”; decanted and poured, it was very good with eucalyptus, green pepper and leather accents to the blackberry, black cherry, black currant and plum fruit; it was full bodied with a soft and velvety texture as well as having depth and complexity; in a really good place now, this has an underlying tannic structure that ensures longevity with anticipated maturity in another 10 years or more.

9BC67D5B-5B70-4786-AC6E-CDCC6E0A0DC1_1_201_a.jpeg
This was a wonderful trip and each day was filled with lots of warmth, love and sharing of great food and wine.

Cheers,
Blake

That Hartwell, as well as the 1994 were amazing wines. Indeed, the vines were from Grace Family.

I had no idea a zin could cellar that long. I have always figured 10 years, maybe 15 max.

Good pick up Bill. It was the '94 that turned me on to get the '92 when it was made available.

1 Like

I’ve also had an 88` Zin earlier in the year that was made by Burt Williams and it was stupendous. Ten years ago, I had a '37 Inglenook Zin that was truly amazing with NO color change and incredible fruit to the extent I would have called it a fraud; however, I knew the source and could only trust it to be authentic.

Blake,

I find that aged zins become more ‘claret-like’ over time and lose their distinctive zin characteristics. Your thoughts?

Did you have a chance to have this same wine before?

Cheers.

Wow… I have been fretting over some early 2000’s Turley Zins I have. Wondering if they may be too old. I have a few Williams Selyem, but Turley saturates my zin collection for the most part.

Hi Larry,

My experience has been that it depends upon the wine and how it was made. I drank many Zins in the 80-90s, especially from Ravenswood and they were good early on, but lately not so much. The Williams Selyem ones made by Burt {up to and including 94`} have been just like his Pinots and Chards, long lasting with much of the initial character, even the fruit profile.

Yes, Ive had the 91 many times, all good and similar with the blueberry, pepper and spice notes. I have 2 bottles left.

Cheers my friend

I’ve had a few Turley Zins, but not enough to track their longevity. If you have WS Zins made by Burt= 94` and older, you’re good. They throw lots of sediment so do decant.