Spanish Wine Recommendations from Casa Mono (NYC) wine list?

Greetings! I am often a loss when ordering vino at Casa Mono beyond a few known quantities. Unfortunately, they don’t allow BYO and I tend to find their list a little too highly priced, but I think the food is great, even during our current plague. So, if any of you with broader knowledge of Spanish wines that are on this list could offer a range of recommendations, I would appreciate your help. Recs for whites, roasts and reds, as well as for various price points, would be fantastic.

Many thanks! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

https://casamononyc.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2020/06/wine-list-6.27.20.pdf

Oh, and please steer me away from huge oak bombs. I tend to lean toward Lopez de Heredia in style, or to Mencia, but all thoughts welcome.

What are you looking to spend? Here’s what I’d do for best QPR. I have put ** by my choices.

Whites:
11030 Zárate 2018 52
**10359 Zárate El Balado 2018 105
10307 Atalier by Raúl Pérez A Cruz Das Ánimas 2018 66

Reds:

10209 Raúl Pérez Ultreia La Claudina 2016 130
**31450 Rodriguez Vazquez A Torna Dos Pasas Escolma 2015 70 (more burgundy like). If this is really Escolma, price seems wrong.
31245 Familia Nin-Ortiz Planetes de Nin 2016 118 (More syrah like, but probably not ready to drink)
31062 Familia Nin Ortiz Planetes de Nin Amfora 2016 92 (earlier drinking)
31223 Castro Candaz ‘A Boca do Demo’ 2017 118

We were just there for lunch. Had a very nice Raul Perez Ultreia Saint Jacques red that was not closed as we feared it might be, and was fairly reasonably priced. Raul Perez whites are also very good. I believe they had the Do Ferreiro not old vines albarino at a reasonable price, and some albarinos from Zarate, which is also a very good producer.

they have all the good, newer, better producers: focus on envinate, raul perez, enric soler - various price points red and white, all excellent. telmo rodriguez is in the “moderna” section, but the lanzaga is a terrific red that i never found to be flashy, etc.

I don’t think it’s what you’re looking for, bit as an aside I would say that the 2006 Pecina Rioja vendemnia seleccionada is a “good deal” at 156 for a magnum

Awesome list. Would love to eat there some day. This is what I’d do…

For the house wines, do the Foraster Cava to start, then the Arcan Albarino with the pinxtos (maybe a couple glasses), then the Rioja Alta for the meats (though $29 for a glass is really high)

For the cornavin options, go with the Salnes or the Soler for the whites, then the Muga for the tinto. The Nido will be in the oaky category you’re trying to avoid and the Pingus is priced high but would be a baller option.

Other notable bottles on the list (some of which you may have already had):
Blanco

• Do Ferrerio Cepas Vehlas (expensive on this list, but a great wine)
  • Zarate El Palomar
  • Dominio de Bibei Lapena (known for their mencia, this is from the godello grape)
  • Antioxiola Txakoli (depends what you get, but txakoli is always super fun, fresh and light)
  • Marques de Tomares 1987 (i’ve never had this, but sounds fun and not $1,000 like the LdH options)
    Tinto
  • Cesar Marquez Perez Sufreiral (bierzo and mencia are awesome)
  • Emilio Moro Malleolus
    you probably know the Rioja line up decently well, but I love Muga unconditionally…
  • Muga Prado Enea
  • the LdH’s are probably amazing but look expensive on this list
  • Remirez de Ganuza is awesome…if you were to splurge I’d try the 1997 they have
  • Avoid the Benjamin Romeo’s…they’ll be modern and oaky

Then, after you’d had all of the above, you can get the 5 liter of Alvaro Palacios for dessert :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

Thanks, all! Please keep the suggestions coming.

Sarah, I went in September and actually ordered the Raul Perez Ultreia, but they were out! May have to try that.

+1 on tell Rodriguez lanzaga.

If you are interested in the new wave of Spanish Garnacha makers doing things in the lightweight Rayas/Burgundian style, they have the Comando G Tumbo del Rey Moro, which is hard to find and pricey on the secondary market in the US. Haven’t had that one but their Rosas 1er cru is excellent. The Bernabeleva is also good at the entry level.

+1 on the two Cesar Marquez wines. He is Raul Perez’s nephew and makes fantastic wines. Definitely an up and comer. And the price is only about 2X what I get it at for retail so not terrible.

Zárate is a good pick. Remelluri Blanco is perhaps the best Spanish white on the fruity end of the spectrum? If not at least it’s pretty damn amazing.

Anything from Algueira. Their Brancellao is fantastic. This is the wine that should be at the top of your list.

How do you feel about Sherry? Some great options on that list in all price categories. For example I’d happily drink any of these and they’re all great food wines.

Valdespino Innocente $35
Valdespino Calle Ponce $90
Equipo Navazos #30 $149
Valdespino Macharnudo Palo Cortado $340

I am a big fan of D Ventura’s Ribeira Sacras.

It is not on the list you posted but about 3 weeks ago I got a 2017 Vina Caneiro there for $57. A little big and ripe as compared to other vintages of the wine but still good.

+1 on the Luis Rodriguez Vasquez recs and I’m a huge fan of Goyo Garcia’s wines and I suspect they’d be in your wheelhouse.