TNs: 3 Bordeaux, a BdM Riserva, an American Syrah and a Kongsgaard

• 2018 Kongsgaard Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley (23/10/2020)
    Had no doubt it was a chard from the smell and taste but I thought this was a high quality given the weight behind it and round texture that suggested serious oak use. The palate and colour seemed a little advanced, slightly bitter finish, might be a slightly off bottle.
  • 2000 Château Ferrière - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (23/10/2020)
    With global warming and modern winemaking techniques, they don’t make wines like this anymore for better or worse. Smelt clearly of an old bordeaux from another era, on the palate it was elegant and restrained with green and tertiary notes. A little lacking in fruit and simple but still enjoyable.
  • 2007 La Fiorita Brunello di Montalcino Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (23/10/2020)
    I prefer normal Brunellos over riservas because of the obnoxious oaking as evidenced here. Huge vanilla and sweetness on the nose, translates into an unnatural sweetness on the palate. High acidity and polished tannins, the very ripe 15% ABV shows through.
  • 2010 Château Gloria - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (23/10/2020)
    Another bordeaux that typified the region well. Evidently cleaner winemaking than the Ferriere but retains the classic left bank Bordeaux characteristics. Simple and short finish but great for the price, drink now.
  • 2014 Gramercy Cellars Syrah Columbia Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (23/10/2020)
    Others liked this a lot more than I did. This was a little green, simple and foursquare, and I thought it didn’t sufficient fruit to balance the wine. Hollow mid palate. This is the same price point as a Côté-Rôtie in Singapore so a no brainer here.
  • 2015 Château Brane-Cantenac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (23/10/2020)
    Called Pauillac based on the nose, plenty of graphite and cedar that gave it a pretty set of aromatics. Soft velvety tannins that should have led me to Margaux, but that belied its power beneath. Still very primary, not a showy wine but has lots of vibrant red fruit. Excellent.