TN: Comparing a couple of ‘16 Barbarescos

Thought I’d compare a couple of Barbarescos tonight:

2016 Produttori del Barbaresco
This one is noticeably less open than earlier bottles of the ‘16. Nose is pretty shy — red fruit and rose. On the palate, lighter than I remember. Fruit is much more in the raspberry spectrum. Finishes nice. Seems like a little less of everything compared to prior bottles. I’m guessing this is closing down. I won’t be opening another one for a few years. While this was notably less impressive than prior bottles, I’m confident this will live up to the hype.

2016 Cantina Del Pino Barbaresco
Some reduction at first. Very fragrant with some pine, a bit of orange rind, a resinous note over cherry fruit. Touch of VA adds lift. A big wave of juicy red fruit up front, then some mouth-puckering tannins steal the show. This is the first in over a dozen 2016s I’ve had with such drying tannins. Lots interesting things going on here, especially on the nose, but wow, this one has some real grip. Needs a few years.

I will say that the Cantina del Pino Ovello I had earlier in the week showed better than either of these did tonight. But all three are solid.

Thanks for the notes. Going to drink this today (along with a dozen other Produttoris going back all the way to 1970) so I’m very interested to see how it will perform!