TN: 2001 Leeuwin Estate Chardonnay Art Series

• 2001 Leeuwin Estate Chardonnay Art Series - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Margaret River (10/23/2020)
    Just like the 02 did a few years ago…the last 01 of a case is going out a winner! I have enjoyed these wines from day one immensely…but with the cork closure there have been some poxed bottles. Last bottle I had was in 2011, and it was ok, but not a great one like in 2010. 9 years later…another great one! Tight squeaky cork…golden metallic color, yet a clean, no pox nose. Rich and creamy pitted orchard fruit like peach and apricot…as well as a little tropical flare of grilled pineapple…integrated with age, shows some dried honey sweetness…yet still has a good dose of citrus acidity that freshens with pucker. Love the exotics in this…hot buttered rum spice, marzipan, toasted marshmallow, match strike…well balanced vanilla oak…chalky minerality, sea salt caramels create wonderful salinity to the rich fruit. Just fantastic! Refuels my passion for these wines…the Coche down under! Can imagine the screw cap versions, on younger vintages, are even better. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for sharing Buzz, I have my last 1998 in queue along with a 2005 backup. Wines always make a good Puligny ringer. Leeuwin Prelude Chard is a good wine to have a case of around the house too.

Cullen Chards also, especially Kevin John.

I really need to buy some “current” stuff. Everything is screw cap now right? I LOVED their Riesling too! So tight dry and floral! Only have two bottles of Leeuwin left…mag of the 01 Art, and reg bottle of 92, which I’m intrigued if it has survived?
[cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note, Buzz. It’s been at least a decade for me

All stelvin, which slows down the curve dramatically.

Don’t sell Prelude short either.

Hell no…Peter Hirsch wanting to buy 10 cases in CC is what got me thinking about Leeuwin again! [training.gif]

Hadn’t seen that. That’s a lot of Prelude.

I will say there is a ton of interest in Margaret River…everything Leeuwin Art Series and Cullen I have worked with Garagiste on evaporates.

What’s the style on these nowadays? I haven’t had any past 2002.

Little bit leaner these days. That said, the 01 remains a favourite… though I only have a couple left

Nice note and one of the great Chardonnays in the world for the money.

I would say even better balance, due to better understanding of oak influence, and a bit more linear.