Châteauneuf-du-Pape wine which are NOT Grenache focused

Was working on putting something together and having a hard time finding much information.

I am looking for Châteauneuf-du-Pape red wines, which are either NOT the majority Grenache, or at least much lower %s…

First one that came to mind is Château de Beaucastel "Hommage à Jacques Perrin” which is famously Mourvèdre heavy, but wasn’t sure if there were more out there.

Thank you for any help!

Beaucastel itself is typically not a majority of Grenache either, FWIW

Château de la Gardine has a bottling called “Generations” that is 1/3 Grenache, 1/3 Mourvedre and 1/3 Syrah.

Mas de Boislauzon “Le Tintot”
Raymond Usseglio “La Part des Anges”
SQN/Cambie “Chimère”

Rayas Fonsalette 100% Syrah

Read about it, but don’t know if it’s any good:
2016 Chimère (Sine Qua Non) Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Depending on how low you are willing to go for “not focused,” there are a number that have a quite significant level of other grapes, just less than 50%. Both the Saint Prefert Charles Giraud, Clos du Caillou Reserve and the Clos St Jean Deus ex Machina are about 40% mourvedre, with 60% grenache. Certain vintages of some wines can vary; for instance, the 2017 Clos des Papes is only 45% grenache, with 40% mourvedre, although the 2016 is 60% grenache and 30% mourvedre, the variation due to a poor grenache crop in 2017.

A good resource to research for your question can be found on Jeff Leve’s website here:

Noting that 2017 had a poor grenache crop, you can nonetheless quickly get a sense of the grape content of 200 wines. There are more with less than 50% grenache than I would have thought, although I haven’t heard of many of those wines.

Grand Veneur CdP Les Origines is 50% grenache, 30% syrah, 20% mourvèdre.

Non-qualifier…Cotes du Rhone.

Am I wrong or doesn’t the Beaucastel blend include all the allowed varieties of the Rhone Valley, including whites?

You are not wrong.

I don’t think this is true of the red wine. It’s true of their vineyards.

Fonsalette is NO CdP.

Bois de Boursan has a lower Grenache %

Grand Veneur VV is another one.
Xavier Vignon Anonyme too.

Most vintages of Vieux Donjon and Vieux Telegraphe are just over, but show the varietal as well.

Domaine Barroche produced a 100% Mourvedre cuvee called “?” in 2018 !
Also the Fiancee had less Grenache -

True but better than most CdPs.

Perhaps, but Fonsalette Syrah is more like a Northern Rhone. It really isn’t comparable to a CdP.

They refer to vinifying all 13 and mention eight by name in discussing what they contributed to the red on their website:

In order to reveal their character, aromas and originality, the 13 grape varieties of Château de Beaucastel vineyards are vinified separately:

• Grenache and Cinsault provide warmth, colour and roundness,
  • Mourvedre, Syrah, Muscardin and Vaccarese provide structure, aging abilities, colour and a very straight taste,
  • Counoise and Picpoul provide body, freshness and very particular aromas.

Note that many CdP varieties are available in red or white versions. Picpoul and Grenache are certainly examples of this. The Beaucastel red will only include red varieties, whereas their blanc will include white varieties.

Not mentioned here is Terret Noir, a variety that I am pretty sure Beaucastel grows and includes in their reds.

One last note - Hommage a Jacques Perrin does have a good portion of Mourvedre in it, but never more than 60% and oftentimes less than 50%. I always thought it had more but have had a few over the past few years . . .

Cheers!

Hmmmm, you sure? I have read up to 85% in some vintages.