Skunked! A note related to wine

I’ve whined regularly here about having a basement fairly full of fine and even great wine, ready to drink, and nobody to drink it with. Sally is on chemo (doing well). We don’t let people come to visit. I don’t go visiting. I really hate to open a bottle of superb mature wine when I can’t share it, won’t finish the bottle and know that the rest will be diminished or worse the next day.

I made the decision. Had something that should be wonderful lined up. The bacon, tomato and onion quiche in the oven from Wild Oats smelled great.

I let the dog out. A couple of minutes later he came back to the door. I let him in, turned out he was whimpering, accompanied by a miasmic blast of impeccably fresh skunk spray. Fortunately he wasn’t hit directly and was fine. Can’t say the same for the aromas in the house. Thoughts of fine wine vanished. I removed the bottle from the counter, put it in the wine fridge for 1 – 2 – 3 – many days, but will open it as soon as I’ll be able to smell it. Two glasses of Rose went down with the quiche and had the desired effect.

The unopened bottle is 1993 Comte Lafon Volnay Santenots. I hope to drink it real soon, and will post.

Dan Kravitz

Great story, Dan. The Lafon should be terrific once the aroma dissipates. I hope that you enjoy the wine.

Great wines are to be shared with great friends, Dan.
I have no compunction on open a great btl. Sometimes even 2-3 btls. Drink a little and if they’re good, stick the cork back in, then the next morning take the remains down to Pig+Fig restaurant, who has a great wine program, for their breakfast wine.
Alas, sometimes the wines are so good, they don’t get a whole lot.
Tom

There’s a chuckle there. Sometimes life simply gets in the way.

One of my wife’s prior GSD’s was even worse - she would chase porcupines - repeatedly after getting faces full of needles.

I’ve been to the Pig & Fig in Albequerque. Is this the one that you speak of. If so, the brussel sprouts are amazing.

Neat story and a neat metaphor also, Dan. Hoping you get some of those nice bottles open soon and that you enjoy them. Cheers.

Have you bathed your pup in tomato juice? I understood that was the cure.

Thanks to all for the sympathy.

John,

Yes, tomato juice rubdown, we’ve been there before and done that before. It helps, but it’s not a cure-all.

We’re getting there. I’ve got local pork chops marinating and plan to open the Volnay tomorrow.

Dan Kravitz

Nice dose of real life Dan vs. some of the more ‘glamour’ posts. Appreciate you sharing. Will remember it the next time a Volnay is opened, at home, just us.

Dan, for the skunk, try what is called alkaline peroxide. Here’s the recipe:
In a bucket put 1 gallon warm water
3 or so squirts liquid soap (rather than detergent)
heaping handful of baking soda
1 pint of hydrogen peroxide

Mix up fresh and rinse the dog with it in the tub, trying to keep it out of the eyes. The soap lifts it from the coat and skin, while the mildly basic pH allows the peroxide to denature the stinky stuff. It works really well. Direct hits may require a couple applications.

I hate to admit how many times we have had to resort to this. The dogs go back for revenge.

Fred

good luck to your wife Sally. After all these years of your writing about her, I feel like I know her and I hope she gets some Palmer soon to celebrate good news.