TN: Paumanok Tuthills Lane 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon

Possibly the ripest wine Paumanok has produced. Would cause a ruckus in a blind tasting with California Cabs. At 10 years of age this wine tastes like a 2 or 3 year old Napa Cabernet. Red fruits, camphor, spice potpourri. Good length, nice texture. Long Island strong. 13.9% alcohol in a region that often struggled to reach 12% for reds.

I had a nice visit there maybe a dozen years ago. Pretty good wines I thought, among their Bordeaux varietals. Although I thought the price points seemed ‘stretchy’. But its a wealthy region (broadly) and they don’t seem to have any issue moving their juice, so more to power to them!

I remember that weekend as the first/only time I put my car on a boat - using the ferry between LI and somewhere in CT. That I did not like one bit, even though it saved many hours of driving!

1 Like

Port Jefferson ferry maybe?

Port Jefferson to New London. Why was that not likable?

Hi Ray, hope you’re well.

I have had the 2005 and 2013 of this wine. The latter, tasted at the winery, was only 4 years old and fit your description precisely. The '05 which I tasted at the winery in 2014 and then from my own bottle in 2017 was much better balanced. In fact, made me think more of Cabernet Franc than Sauvignon.

Ferry was more likely to Orient Point–straight shot from there to North Fork wineries.

I tasted wth Charles at the winery on my birthday 2016 and was impressed by his 2013 reds, especially the Cab Franc and Petit Verdot…Over the years tho, I have probably bought more of his whites than reds but they are a first class operation and Charles is an old school gentleman…Haven’t bought any of the wines, as yet, that they are making from the former Palmer Vyds that they purchased several yrs ago.