Some market share numbers to put things in perspective

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Some market share numbers to put things in perspective

#1 Post by John Morris » October 17th, 2020, 9:46 pm

As we discuss the finer points of great wines, these stats should remind us what most of the wine world is really about. Gallo, Constellation and The Wine Group together own 54.2% of the US market. (From the American Association of Wine Economists)
Attachments
Wine market shares 2018 - AAWE.JPG
"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

"I'm not slurring my words. I'm speaking cursive."

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Some market share numbers to put things in perspective

#2 Post by Rodrigo B » October 17th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Would also be really interesting to see a similar table but with $ sales numbers. I wonder how the table would look then
B r a g a

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by John Morris » October 17th, 2020, 10:09 pm

That would be interesting. But the figures are probably hard to get, since Gallo and Wine Group are privately held.
"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

"I'm not slurring my words. I'm speaking cursive."

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Rodrigo B » October 17th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Getting data from private companies is always tricky, but there are companies that are dedicated to covering and compiling market data and selling it at great expense (the data set AAWE cites to is like $2-3k). I’m sure there’s ways for AAWE to get insight into those numbers and publish some insights from it, at least in % terms. Hell, you can even do a quick and dirty proxy by multiplying each producer’s case production by their average bottle price.

I’d be curious to see whether higher priced producers would move up on the list, or if some producers just moving so much volume that even in absolute dollar sales they keep their spots. For example, would Moet Hennessy surpass Freixenet? How much would they move up on the list, if at all?

On a side note, I’m slightly annoyed at whoever compiled this graphic and decided to use both periods and commas as separators.
B r a g a

Return to “Wine Talk”