Tn: Krug 167

From 375. I liked this a bit more last year. It’s good but fruit has faded a bit and acidity is just a bit much atm. Will wait a few more years on the next one.

From what I can tell you don’t care much for the acidity in Krug anyway. Trade them in for some Cristal!

Champagne Krug 167ème édition : 18/20 (great wine) - october 2020
Onctueux et vif à la fois, en jeunesse incisive. wait …
From 750, base : 2011 - good balance with some acidity, very young hence not very expressive - note : it’s not a vintage, Cristal is.

Domain informations : blend of 191 wines from13 different years, the youngest of which is from 2011, while the oldest dates back to 1995.
47% Pinot Noir, 36% Chardonnay and 17% Meunier.

What does “atm” stand for ?
Thank you

Only the 04, although I had commented on the 166 being like this before. That did eventually flesh out and become beautiful.

The Krug house style to me, needs that opulent fruit for the acidity to be in balance and it isn’t in this particular Cuvee at this time. The 168 is drinking much better at the moment.

For the 168 recently tasted by Kevin Shin, this is what you can read here : TN: Jailbreak Wine Dinner - Krug 168, Ultramarine, MacDonald and etc. - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I’ve posted several recent notes on the 168 too. It’s one of the largest holdings in the cellar so I drink it a lot.

Bonjour Laurent -

I think Michael means “at the moment” for his comments on the Krug acidity.

Blair,

Thank you for this clarification.
I could imagine the 167 less acid than the 168 (2011 for french wines, as a possible generalization).

I however found this 167 quite acid and definitly not ready to drink (even if pleasant).

I thought the 167 was great last winter, but it’s gone into hibernation now.

I’ll keep opening 168 until it shuts down; I didn’t make the mistake I did with 164 and bought plenty.

By labeling these as 167 and such, are these still considered MV wines? I’ve lost track, is 168 2012?

All gc is mv. 167 is 2011 base

My experience with 167 is that the halves are much weaker than the 750ml bottles. It sounds far fetched but try them side by side… it’s been liken this since release so I think the blends might be different

Hm, I’ve never found this to be the case with Krug and I drink a lot of it (10+ cases a year) but I’m definitely not going to open a full bottle.

167 is the first time I’ve noticed the 375mls not quite being up to scratch. If you drink 100+ bottles of Krug a year I’m sure you’ll find an excuse to try a 375ml and 750ml side-by-side.

Anyway, I still bought 48x375mls of the 168 so I’m hoping the 167 was an unpleasant one-off.

The 168 has been good in both 375 and full bottle. I didn’t buy very much 166 or 167, probably half dozen 375 and a couple bottles of each so gonna hold what I have. Have a good chunk of 164 and 165 and a ton of 168.