TN: 2004 Peay Vineyards "La Bruma" Syrah

I was a tad worried I had waited to long to pop the cork - lol, not even close! Impenetrable black color without the slightest visual hint of age. The nose likewise gives away no clue, and smells as fresh and young as it did 15 years ago. Packed with classic garrigue, black fruit, blackberries, earth, and spice. The tannins are the only clue this wine is starting to give way, they’re just beginning to soften. Expansive on the palate, with graphite, earth, plenty of black fruit, and a very long finish. An absolutely superb Syrah for those with N. Rhone sensibilities. This wine may outlive me.

I’ve always said the Syrah is one of their best wines. I originally had a case each of the two 2004 syrahs, they were so electric and incredible when young, it was hard not to drink them. Recently drank one, and just smiled in happiness that i still have a few left.

Incredible wines across the board Alan, but I don’t disagree with you - the Syrahs are outstanding, and I am finding this wine just thrilling!

I have 4 notes in CT on this wine, the last one in 2017:

Dark garnet color, showing little signs of age; meaty, volcanic crushed fruit nose, then good, medium intense dark fruit, crushed rocks, a hint of sweetness from the warmer vintage, nicely balancing acidity, and some fine but noticeable tannins. Quite delicious now in its adolescence, but destined to go another decade at least before reaching full maturity. Quintessential California Syrah.

Love the 04 vintage!

Nice note Alan!

I would add that I found a distinct floral note (violets) coming through as the evening went on. I still have a couple glasses left over to revisit tonight, should be interesting.

Night #2 - still going as strong as ever, just a little bit mellower overall. What a great wine.