What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
John Flanagan
Posts: 223
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 9:58 pm
Location: Northern New Jersey

What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#1 Post by John Flanagan » October 17th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Finally did an inventory of my collection as I move my wine from offsite into a new cellar. Found a good number of bottles that are low on my priority list for drinking for a variety of reasons. Here are just a few examples:

- Received in a mystery case: ‘13 Janasse CdP Vieilles Vignes. Not a big fan of CdP and this isn’t a great example anyway.
- Received as a gift: ‘11 Cascina Adelaide Barolo. Have no idea where I got this, and I’m not a fan of Italian wines.
- Impulse buys: Old Cali cabs from a school auction. The Opus One was a score, but the rest are middling
- Winery visits and wine clubs: Too many to name.
- Board darlings: Rhys bottlings from 10 years ago come to mind.

I probably have 50-100 bottles that fit this category for me. So, what to do with them? Lately I’ve been popping things just to try, but 75% go down the drain. Selling really isn’t an option, unless I take 10 cents on the dollar AND can find someone to take them. Cooking wines? Gifts? Socially distanced cellar reduction party?

I’m sure many of you have plenty of bottles you aren’t excited to drink. What do you do with them?

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37793
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 17th, 2020, 6:28 pm

I throw them into charity auctions or charity tasting I do. Someone always wants Sauvignon Blanc, and I hate it. Works fine.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13195
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#3 Post by alan weinberg » October 17th, 2020, 7:12 pm

gifts, Commerce Corner, wine store consignment, auctions, cooking, in laws . . . long list of options.

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 143
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 10:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#4 Post by Greg Gardner » October 17th, 2020, 8:33 pm

My kids’ school had an annual fundraiser (pre-Covid) that always solicited wine, so that was my go-to for disposing of such bottles.

Paul @bbott
Posts: 87
Joined: May 25th, 2020, 8:57 am

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#5 Post by Paul @bbott » October 17th, 2020, 10:59 pm

I tend to avoid bottles for a while, but am sometimes pleasantly surprised when they exceed my expectations. There must be some psychology in there. If they are turkeys they become marinade or sauce.

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2895
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#6 Post by Peter Hirsch » October 18th, 2020, 3:21 am

John Flanagan wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 6:23 pm
I’m not a fan of Italian wines.
Might want to re-think this. Italy is probably the world's most diverse wine country. Grapes, regions, styles, etc. So many. Saying you don't like Italian wines (while saying you like wine) is a little like saying you don't like the food in the USA?

User avatar
Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5798
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 am
Location: flight Level 3 seven thousand. NYC Metro

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#7 Post by Dan Hammer » October 18th, 2020, 6:30 am

I gift these bottles, and/ or drink them on a random night when I don’t want to open something ‘good’ from my cellar.
This space for rent.

Max S.
Posts: 333
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Location: Denver

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#8 Post by Max S. » October 18th, 2020, 6:35 am

Hell ill give you 25 cents on the dollar and pay for shipping if its something I want. I'm sure there are plenty in commerce corner that would go higher than that. It may be worth putting up a list.

Of course, you may get significantly more satisfaction out of auctioning them for a charity you support...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

lucagiupponi
Posts: 5
Joined: September 18th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#9 Post by lucagiupponi » October 18th, 2020, 6:51 am

Max S. wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 6:35 am
Hell ill give you 25 cents on the dollar and pay for shipping if its something I want. I'm sure there are plenty in commerce corner that would go higher than that. It may be worth putting up a list.
Ditto! Especially for those Italian wines....

User avatar
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9500
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#10 Post by Chris Seiber » October 18th, 2020, 8:39 am

I sometimes box up a case of wines which are decent but I don’t really want, and bring them to my parish for the priests to have. They always seem to appreciate that.

User avatar
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9500
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#11 Post by Chris Seiber » October 18th, 2020, 8:40 am

lucagiupponi wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 6:51 am
Max S. wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 6:35 am
Hell ill give you 25 cents on the dollar and pay for shipping if its something I want. I'm sure there are plenty in commerce corner that would go higher than that. It may be worth putting up a list.
Ditto! Especially for those Italian wines....
Well of course YOU would like Italian wines.

champagne.gif

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4045
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#12 Post by scamhi » October 18th, 2020, 8:48 am

winebid is where mine go
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

John Flanagan
Posts: 223
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 9:58 pm
Location: Northern New Jersey

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#13 Post by John Flanagan » October 18th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Peter Hirsch wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 3:21 am
John Flanagan wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 6:23 pm
I’m not a fan of Italian wines.
Might want to re-think this. Italy is probably the world's most diverse wine country. Grapes, regions, styles, etc. So many. Saying you don't like Italian wines (while saying you like wine) is a little like saying you don't like the food in the USA?
Ok, this might have been too broad a statement. However, I did attend a Wine Berserker Italian wine themed dinner with >20 bottles from various producers, vintages, and varietals. Maybe 2-3 were appealing to me, and I’m assuming since Berserkers were supplying the wines that I got to try good examples. So, if I get gifted Italian wines I assume I won’t like them based on passed experience. But, to someone else’s point, maybe I should just open them during the week and maybe I get a gem.

John Flanagan
Posts: 223
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 9:58 pm
Location: Northern New Jersey

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#14 Post by John Flanagan » October 18th, 2020, 3:05 pm

scamhi wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 8:48 am
winebid is where mine go
Has this been successful for you with sub $40 bottles? I guess I look at Winebid as a way to move higher end stuff, but I’d be happy to send them a few cases if they can sell.

User avatar
J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 316
Joined: July 4th, 2012, 3:12 pm
Location: NYC

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#15 Post by J Dove » October 18th, 2020, 3:06 pm

I’m guessing 70% of the wine I’ve purchased in the past 5 years has been Italian. Making up for lost time, I guess.

[thumbs-up.gif]
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

Morgan S
Posts: 4
Joined: October 8th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#16 Post by Morgan S » October 18th, 2020, 3:16 pm

make them the last bottle of the night opened
S i n g

User avatar
Ian S
Posts: 579
Joined: January 29th, 2019, 11:51 am

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#17 Post by Ian S » October 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Mix them in with stain for a unique colour on furniture and your deck.

"Wow, what color is that?"

"2011 Napa Cab Walnut."
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - the "Crazy Uncle" Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

"I swear to god, I've never seen so many whiny bitches in one place in my life." - Steve Saxon, 01/30/18
"Moral superiority can taste awfully good to some." - David Kantrowitz, 05/29/19

User avatar
J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 316
Joined: July 4th, 2012, 3:12 pm
Location: NYC

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#18 Post by J Dove » October 18th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Ian S wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Mix them in with stain for a unique colour on furniture and your deck.

"Wow, what color is that?"

"2011 Napa Cab Walnut."
That’s a good one. How about Rolland Red.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4045
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#19 Post by scamhi » October 18th, 2020, 4:09 pm

John Flanagan wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 3:05 pm
scamhi wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 8:48 am
winebid is where mine go
Has this been successful for you with sub $40 bottles? I guess I look at Winebid as a way to move higher end stuff, but I’d be happy to send them a few cases if they can sell.
at prices under $30.00 I believe there is a $5.00 additional fee charge. I did sell a bunch of value bottles $30-$50. Wines that did not pay for me to keep in offsite storage.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

lucagiupponi
Posts: 5
Joined: September 18th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#20 Post by lucagiupponi » October 18th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 8:40 am

Well of course YOU would like Italian wines.

champagne.gif
[cheers.gif]

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2603
Joined: May 10th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Location: Harpswell, Maine

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#21 Post by Dan Kravitz » October 18th, 2020, 5:25 pm

CHARITY AUCTION DONATIONS!

I do a lot of this. As big a win-win as you can possibly get.


Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Andrew Ing
Posts: 64
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 4:07 pm

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#22 Post by Andrew Ing » October 18th, 2020, 5:52 pm

PreCovid I would take them to work and put them on the counter in the break room or put them in a pile and have my wife take them to book club. I’ve tried to sell the ones that had a little value, but I was getting pennies on the dollar and it was a hassle. I don’t have a lot of valuable wine that I don’t want.
Andrew Ingrum

User avatar
GregT
Posts: 8825
Joined: April 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#23 Post by GregT » October 18th, 2020, 8:08 pm

I wouldn't buy them but if I did, I'd wait until I was interested in drinking them.

For example, last night I wasn't interested in drinking this inexpensive Rioja. Instead we had a rosato from Sangiovese and a cheap Bordeaux.
But tonight, for some reason I have a taste for that Rioja so I'll open it.

If it's something I rec'd as a gift and I'm not interested, I'll either cook with it or open it when we have people over who don't really care that much what they drink.

But I'd seriously reconsider your acquisition techniques.

- Received in a mystery case: ‘13 Janasse CdP Vieilles Vignes. Not a big fan of CdP and this isn’t a great example anyway. This wouldn't have happened since I wouldn't buy a mystery case.

- Received as a gift: ‘11 Cascina Adelaide Barolo. Have no idea where I got this, and I’m not a fan of Italian wines. Gifts are hard to plan for, but you didn't get a bad wine here. That can be re-gifted or opened when you have some Italian wine fans over.

- Impulse buys: Old Cali cabs from a school auction. The Opus One was a score, but the rest are middling Gotta be careful at auctions. Set a max price for anything you're interested in and don't get caught up in a competition. If you don't get it, so what. BTW, I would try some of those old Cabs if they've been stored well. You may be surprised at how good a middling wine can be.

- Winery visits and wine clubs: Too many to name. Wouldn't happen. When you visit a winery, buy a couple of bottles. Don't go crazy and buy cases until you've had the wine away from the winery and the experience. And don't join clubs that send you things whether you want them or not. In fact, no need to join a club anyway.

- Board darlings: Rhys bottlings from 10 years ago come to mind. Another thing that would never happen. Who cares if someone on the board loves a wine? This board has people who champion things I would happily never drink in my life.

A hundred wines you don't want is a lot of wine you don't want! Good luck from here on out!
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

User avatar
David Baum
Posts: 1481
Joined: August 24th, 2017, 5:26 pm
Location: Carlsbad CA

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#24 Post by David Baum » October 18th, 2020, 8:54 pm

I save them for GregT visits

brodie thomson
Posts: 938
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 9:25 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#25 Post by brodie thomson » October 18th, 2020, 9:01 pm

I give them to my 20 yr old son to take to parties. And sometimes have guests who like Sauvignon Blanc!

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3578
Joined: January 24th, 2010, 8:11 pm
Location: seattle

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#26 Post by john stimson » October 18th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Periodically I just do a clear out night/open abunch of bottles night. Line up 10 bottles of wines you don't think you like, or that you think are far over the hill. open one, try a sip, if no likey, open the next. Repeat. Almost always, I find one or two bottles that I actually like. Or that aren't showing and I set aside, and are showing great in an hour of two. Every once in a while there is a real winner (usually an old cheap riesling.) the rest just go down the drain, or into the cooking jug, and you've cleared another bin in your cellar.

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16225
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#27 Post by Craig G » October 18th, 2020, 9:45 pm

I had to warn my friends that the wines I was donating to charity auctions might not be as good as what I served them.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

M. Meer
Posts: 591
Joined: December 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#28 Post by M. Meer » October 18th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Mar.kus

John Flanagan
Posts: 223
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 9:58 pm
Location: Northern New Jersey

Re: What do you do with wines you’re not interested in drinking?

#29 Post by John Flanagan » October 19th, 2020, 2:40 pm

GregT wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 8:08 pm
I wouldn't buy them but if I did, I'd wait until I was interested in drinking them.

For example, last night I wasn't interested in drinking this inexpensive Rioja. Instead we had a rosato from Sangiovese and a cheap Bordeaux.
But tonight, for some reason I have a taste for that Rioja so I'll open it.

If it's something I rec'd as a gift and I'm not interested, I'll either cook with it or open it when we have people over who don't really care that much what they drink.

But I'd seriously reconsider your acquisition techniques.

- Received in a mystery case: ‘13 Janasse CdP Vieilles Vignes. Not a big fan of CdP and this isn’t a great example anyway. This wouldn't have happened since I wouldn't buy a mystery case.

- Received as a gift: ‘11 Cascina Adelaide Barolo. Have no idea where I got this, and I’m not a fan of Italian wines. Gifts are hard to plan for, but you didn't get a bad wine here. That can be re-gifted or opened when you have some Italian wine fans over.

- Impulse buys: Old Cali cabs from a school auction. The Opus One was a score, but the rest are middling Gotta be careful at auctions. Set a max price for anything you're interested in and don't get caught up in a competition. If you don't get it, so what. BTW, I would try some of those old Cabs if they've been stored well. You may be surprised at how good a middling wine can be.

- Winery visits and wine clubs: Too many to name. Wouldn't happen. When you visit a winery, buy a couple of bottles. Don't go crazy and buy cases until you've had the wine away from the winery and the experience. And don't join clubs that send you things whether you want them or not. In fact, no need to join a club anyway.

- Board darlings: Rhys bottlings from 10 years ago come to mind. Another thing that would never happen. Who cares if someone on the board loves a wine? This board has people who champion things I would happily never drink in my life.

A hundred wines you don't want is a lot of wine you don't want! Good luck from here on out!
You clearly have too much self control for this hobby [snort.gif] Or at least way more than I do. Mystery cases can be fun, but I also like gambling in Vegas. Money went to the school; it wasn’t an auction that demanded a strategy. Some wine clubs are because my wife wanted to join, or I like most of the wines, but either way I’m going to end up with some stuff that’s a mystery. Board darlings: isn’t the reason for joining this board to get coerced in to buying things I don’t need?

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”