Fait-Main absurdly high shipping rates

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
DavidChang

Fait-Main absurdly high shipping rates

#1 Post by DavidChang » October 17th, 2020, 3:40 am

I am a fan of Fait-Main and want to keep supporting Beniot and the team.

They released their 2018 allocation recently and I wanted to purchase 6 bottles @375 for a 3 pack.

Total cost for 6 bottles is 750usd but the shipping to Oregon I was quoted 280usd. That comes down to 47usd shipping for a 125 bottle.

Is that normal?

J. Migone

Re: Fait-Main absurdly high shipping rates

#2 Post by J. Migone » October 17th, 2020, 3:44 am

Unless it's delivered in a Lambo and by your favorite celebrity.. No
The one and only Obi Juan Migone

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Br1an Th0rne » October 17th, 2020, 3:46 am

$280 to ship approx 20 pounds, via ground, from northern CA to Oregon? Seems a bit high to me!

F.Daner

#4 Post by F.Daner » October 17th, 2020, 4:29 am

That has to be a mistake. Perhaps you selected overnight by mistake ?

No one would pay $45 per bottle to ship.
DavidChang wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 3:40 am
I am a fan of Fait-Main and want to keep supporting Beniot and the team.

They released their 2018 allocation recently and I wanted to purchase 6 bottles @375 for a 3 pack.

Total cost for 6 bottles is 750usd but the shipping to Oregon I was quoted 280usd. That comes down to 47usd shipping for a 125 bottle.

Is that normal?
Fred

Matt A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Matt A » October 17th, 2020, 5:33 am

🤔 Something’s not right.
I have a 3 pack of Fait Main Missouri Hopper shipping Oct 19th to Kansas FeEx Ground: $37.41

I already have a tracking number and it looks like they bumped me up to 2 day. 😊
And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said “I need a caretaker.”
So God made a Farmer.
-Paul Harvey

ChrisR

#6 Post by ChrisR » October 17th, 2020, 6:00 am

As others have said, that must be a mistake. It was around 75 for me on the east coast for 6 bottles.
R y a n

Steve Crawford

#7 Post by Steve Crawford » October 17th, 2020, 6:13 am

ALL of the above prices quoted are too high honestly. paying more than $10 a btl to ship is just really obnoxious.

joejolesch

#8 Post by joejolesch » October 17th, 2020, 7:10 am

Unless it’s overnighting or maybe OWC’s this is absurd. For what it’s worth, I felt like Teeter Totter had high shipping, too, and passed directly from the winery for same price bottles + free shipping via Wine Access. I just checked and while they have a nice 15% off for the wines at the moment, it’s $48 for ground shipping on 6 bottles.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Brian Tuite » October 17th, 2020, 8:19 am

Steve Crawford wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 6:13 am
ALL of the above prices quoted are too high honestly. paying more than $10 a btl to ship is just really obnoxious.
Such is the cost of shipping wine. Get licensed and find out for yourself.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#10 Post by larry schaffer » October 17th, 2020, 9:26 am

It is obviously a mistake - as others have said, that is probably overnight rates. And probably includes an OWC which increases the cost

I just got word that both UPS and FED EX are charging a surcharge for all shipments from Nov thru early January so expect to see even higher prices.

Cheers.
Last edited by larry schaffer on October 17th, 2020, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

J. Rock

#11 Post by J. Rock » October 17th, 2020, 9:47 am

You probably mistakenly selected personal delivery by Beniot following by a guided tasting at your place.
J o r d a n

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 17th, 2020, 10:12 am

Seems very high even for overnight. Likely a mistake as others have noted
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brian Tuite » October 17th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Here is a dummy estimate for FedEx from here in Sonoma County to a random address in Portland. This is for a 3 pk shipper in size, 10lbs weight which is probably light for high end Napa Cab, $375 value. Note this is not shipped as wine which carries a higher surcharge. Overnight is expen$ive. If it’s going cold chain it’s even more expensive. Add $7 per 3-pack shipper carton plus fulfillment Co. labor charge.

6BC4B755-D073-4405-9127-814FF854BDD7.jpeg

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2020 WOTY Candidates

Steve Crawford

#14 Post by Steve Crawford » October 17th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 8:19 am
Steve Crawford wrote:
i never mentioned 'cost' of shipping wine. i know what the cost is, it doesn't require licensure. call me a naive consumer, but i thoroughly enjoy when wineries offer 'free' [saxum] or 'discounted' [patria] shipping. even not charging tax makes it move for me.
my biggest issues are mandatory 2 day shipping and owc's, and to a certain degree charging tax on shipping after the fact.
im aware of the cost of shipping-but the actual cost and how that's presented for the buyer to pay for are generally very different things.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Brian Tuite » October 17th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Steve Crawford wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:36 pm
Brian Tuite wrote:
Steve Crawford wrote:
i never mentioned 'cost' of shipping wine. i know what the cost is, it doesn't require licensure. call me a naive consumer, but i thoroughly enjoy when wineries offer 'free' [saxum] or 'discounted' [patria] shipping. even not charging tax makes it move for me.
my biggest issues are mandatory 2 day shipping and owc's, and to a certain degree charging tax on shipping after the fact.
im aware of the cost of shipping-but the actual cost and how that's presented for the buyer to pay for are generally very different things.
So if they bump the price of the wine by $15/btl and offer free shipping you’re all warm and fuzzy? What’s the f’ing difference?

2020 WOTY Candidates

Paul Luckin

#16 Post by Paul Luckin » October 17th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Steve Crawford wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:36 pm
Brian Tuite wrote:
Steve Crawford wrote:
re: bold above - not sure how things work in NC, but to ship wine [legally] in/from CA you must have a valid shipping license. it's been that way for at least a year, and possibly longer.
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

Steve Crawford

#17 Post by Steve Crawford » October 17th, 2020, 5:34 pm

i answered this already essentially. with that being said, evaluating cost out the door is fairly easy but that's a separate issue from what i mentioned.

markjchambers

#18 Post by markjchambers » October 17th, 2020, 7:11 pm

I've purchased a case of wine from a retailer in California and had it shipped to Ohio at a cost of $40. I've purchased directly from a California winery and had a case shipped to me for $64, just now. I also have a case coming from another winery that cost me $200 to ship. The winery charging $64 is not subsidizing the shipping cost. I asked them. The wines will ship UPS or FedEx and arrive at the same time in the same condition. Even though the shipping cost won't stop me from buying, I feel better about the winery that charges close to what it actually costs to ship the wine.

Steve Crawford

#19 Post by Steve Crawford » October 17th, 2020, 7:36 pm

markjchambers wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:11 pm
I've purchased a case of wine from a retailer in California and had it shipped to Ohio at a cost of $40. I've purchased directly from a California winery and had a case shipped to me for $64, just now. I also have a case coming from another winery that cost me $200 to ship. The winery charging $64 is not subsidizing the shipping cost. I asked them. The wines will ship UPS or FedEx and arrive at the same time in the same condition. Even though the shipping cost won't stop me from buying, I feel better about the winery that charges close to what it actually costs to ship the wine.
that makes sense and I agree, it's more transparent and thus comes off as more honest. with that being said, if i ask 4 different wineries what's the 'cost' of shipping a case of wine, id get 5 different answers.

Jen M a s o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Jen M a s o n » October 17th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Strange, my fait-main order is shipping this week to Atlanta, 2-day for $38. I have no idea why your price would be so high?

RickieM

#21 Post by RickieM » October 17th, 2020, 7:56 pm

Why not ask them why the shipping charge is so high?
Rickie Miy@ke

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#22 Post by Chris Freemott » October 18th, 2020, 5:37 am

if i ask 4 different wineries what's the 'cost' of shipping a case of wine, id get 5 different answers.
Gasoline is a different price on 4 corners of the same intersection.

Some pack and ship themselves
Some use fulfillment
Everyone has their own rate evaluation by their shipper based on volume, zone disbursement, use of ground vs air, combined freight and international volume, use of carrier insurance, even pickup fees come into play.

Logistics is hard. Integration of the price, or ‘free’, is the Amazon-effect. And transparent passthrough is hard on each deal depending on software and your own personal accuracy of data keeping, including down to your own packaging costs.

Saying that 4 or 5 inquiries on ‘shipping costs’ being different and hence somehow a ruse (how I read your note) is being a tad naive, Steve.

Steve Crawford

#23 Post by Steve Crawford » October 18th, 2020, 5:44 am

Chris Freemott wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 5:37 am
if i ask 4 different wineries what's the 'cost' of shipping a case of wine, id get 5 different answers.
Gasoline is a different price on 4 corners of the same intersection.

Some pack and ship themselves
Some use fulfillment
Everyone has their own rate evaluation by their shipper based on volume, zone disbursement, use of ground vs air, combined freight and international volume, use of carrier insurance, even pickup fees come into play.

Logistics is hard. Integration of the price, or ‘free’, is the Amazon-effect. And transparent passthrough is hard on each deal depending on software and your own personal accuracy of data keeping, including down to your own packaging costs.

Saying that 4 or 5 inquiries on ‘shipping costs’ being different and hence somehow a ruse (how I read your note) is being a tad naive, Steve.
i agree 110% on what you said, we're making the same point. i don't think any of it is a ruse-scale varies and it's very hard to compare apples to apples. as a result, cost out the door is king.

DavidChang

#24 Post by DavidChang » October 18th, 2020, 7:48 am

It was a communication issue. All resolved now

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Brian Tuite » October 18th, 2020, 7:58 am

RickieM wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:56 pm
Why not ask them why the shipping charge is so high?
Really? pileon

2020 WOTY Candidates

Roy Piper

#26 Post by Roy Piper » October 18th, 2020, 1:10 pm

That has to be an error in the system.
ITB, text me anytime at 707-266-4168

Marc Hauser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Marc Hauser » October 18th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Best thread ever.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

Return to “Wine Talk”