TN: 2007 JM Pillot Chassagne Rouge 1er Clos St Jean

Wow, a lot of wood on the nose and palate upon opening. Some tea, all spice, and red fruits. It took awhile for the wood to integrate, which it mostly did over 1.5 hours. The palate had nice acidity, and a lengthening finish. I saved half the bottle for tomorrow but I’m not sure if this just wasn’t ready or what is going on with this wine. This is drastically different from the Ramonet version, and not at all what I expected for an 07. Felt heavier-handed on the wood than Angerville.

12 and 15 were beautiful in recent tasting.
Ramonet was a great value at $50 for the '15 just last year. Too bad price went up.

More recent vintages of Pillot will have a lot less oak.

This! Less overt oaking now. The 2017 should be super nice. Haven’t gotten to taste it. The 2015 is stunning.

I was expecting this to be a bit better but it was $25, so w/e

This was better on day 2 but still a bit heavy on the wood.

I got a 3 pack of 15, will give one a shot soon.

I hope it shows better for you Michael.

Since about 2009 Pillot’s wines have been phenomenal, and I’m thrilled the rest of the market hasn’t caught on (other than his Chevalier, unfortunately). I’ve opened a number of bottles of Clos St. Marc in the last year from various vintages, and they’re consistently amazing wines, which can still be had for a relative song.

This. Love his whites, haven’t tried the reds yet. Would they be showing as well?

Recently had the 15. It does have some oak, but it was not over blown. I think it still needs more time, but it was a very special wine. You can just tell it’s on a different level.

Yeah, 2010 and after should be in a nice place. Just picked up 3 bottles of the 2014 Macherelles for $50 a bottle. Hard to beat the value.