TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#1 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2020, 4:21 pm

  • 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine - USA, California (10/16/2020)
    Just barely off the truck, but I couldn’t resist the siren call. I poured a couple of ounces to check it out, then let the bottle sit for two hours. When dinner was ready I went back to it, and was blown away. This bottling is always delicious (open a 2017 if you have it), but this was turned up a couple of notches. During the release podcast, Morgan and Chris indicated that it had an extra gear, with more Bedrock Vineyard juice in the mix. It showed up in the depth and richness, which far exceeded prior editions of this wine. Supple, yet still structured; fruity yet still savory, it hits a heck of a sweet spot for $20. QPR champ indeed.
Posted from CellarTracker

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2751
Joined: September 17th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#2 Post by Nate Simon » October 16th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Thanks very much. Looking forward to getting these soon.
I have found, via trial and error, that these generally need way more time than any $20 wine should. Sounds like this one was performing well with a little bit of air time?

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#3 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Simply gulpable. All I could do to save 1/3 for tomorrow night.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7350
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#4 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 16th, 2020, 6:03 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 5:55 pm
Simply gulpable. All I could do to save 1/3 for tomorrow night.
Ours didn’t make it two hours, this is why it’s a case purchase.

Trevor Looney
Posts: 34
Joined: March 13th, 2015, 8:02 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#5 Post by Trevor Looney » October 16th, 2020, 6:29 pm

I popped one last Friday when it was literally just off the truck but I couldn't help myself. I largely agree with you, it's definitely a step up in richness and and overall power versus previous vintages. I actually felt the heat coming through quite a bit, not sure if you experienced that or not. Anyway, my other bottles have been dropped off at my offsite to hang out for a while before I open another one.

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#6 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Trevor Looney wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 6:29 pm
I popped one last Friday when it was literally just off the truck but I couldn't help myself. I largely agree with you, it's definitely a step up in richness and and overall power versus previous vintages. I actually felt the heat coming through quite a bit, not sure if you experienced that or not. Anyway, my other bottles have been dropped off at my offsite to hang out for a while before I open another one.
The heat was there a bit for the couple of ounces I tried at the outset. Once I let the two hours pass the wine was beautifully integrated.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#7 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » October 16th, 2020, 6:36 pm

I know what I’m grabbing at the locker tomorrow.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24170
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#8 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 16th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Cool, looking forward to it.

This has got to be one of the greatest QPRs on the planet. There are times when I like it more than some of the SVDs.

I cannot imagine someone not liking this wine. It’s like the friendly golden retriever of wine.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#9 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2020, 6:38 pm

I should have bought a full case, but I bought so many SVDs...the wife was not amused by the FedEx delivery.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20821
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#10 Post by Brian Tuite » October 16th, 2020, 6:40 pm

I found mine in need of lot of air. Very acidic, sharp edges, felt like I needed to wait on these. Different strokes I suppose.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#11 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 16th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Huh...nothing remotely sharp in my bottle. Sounds like a completely different wine.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7350
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#12 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 16th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 6:40 pm
I found mine in need of lot of air. Very acidic, sharp edges, felt like I needed to wait on these. Different strokes I suppose.
Weakling, but we’ll wait for Mr Fla to weigh in. Did you make the mistake of not pairing it with NY Strip?

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20821
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#13 Post by Brian Tuite » October 16th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:12 pm
Brian Tuite wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 6:40 pm
I found mine in need of lot of air. Very acidic, sharp edges, felt like I needed to wait on these. Different strokes I suppose.
Weakling, but we’ll wait for Mr Fla to weigh in. Did you make the mistake of not pairing it with NY Strip?
Most definitely.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

ray ormand
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 318
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#14 Post by ray ormand » October 16th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Also found mine surprisingly sharp and acidic. Spouse, who is big Bedrock fan, had trouble drinking it. A little better the next day.

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1794
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#15 Post by Jim Stewart » October 17th, 2020, 4:57 am

It’s always interesting to me to see very different impressions from different people about the “same” wine. Obviously, a lot of things in play in this particular situation, including the “no great wine, only great bottles” maxim. I have noticed a lot of disparity in posted impressions for not only these early 2019, but also for the much acclaimed 2018 OVZ (especially in CT). I haven’t tasted either of these vintage versions yet, but I think that the 2017 is/was very good. Now who thinks the 2017 OVZ stinks?
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#16 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 17th, 2020, 5:24 am

Not me! I love the 2017 OVZ.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

ray ormand
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 318
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#17 Post by ray ormand » October 17th, 2020, 8:03 am

Big fan of 2017 OVZ.

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 255
Joined: March 1st, 2018, 7:03 pm

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#18 Post by JeremyMullman » October 17th, 2020, 8:12 am

Jim Stewart wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 4:57 am
It’s always interesting to me to see very different impressions from different people about the “same” wine. Obviously, a lot of things in play in this particular situation, including the “no great wine, only great bottles” maxim. I have noticed a lot of disparity in posted impressions for not only these early 2019, but also for the much acclaimed 2018 OVZ (especially in CT). I haven’t tasted either of these vintage versions yet, but I think that the 2017 is/was very good. Now who thinks the 2017 OVZ stinks?
I preferred the 2017 to the 2018 (which I liked), due to the relative rusticity of the former. Just a little more “serious.” Sounds like 2019 is in that vein.

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20821
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#19 Post by Brian Tuite » October 17th, 2020, 8:15 am

Jim Stewart wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 4:57 am
It’s always interesting to me to see very different impressions from different people about the “same” wine. Obviously, a lot of things in play in this particular situation, including the “no great wine, only great bottles” maxim. I have noticed a lot of disparity in posted impressions for not only these early 2019, but also for the much acclaimed 2018 OVZ (especially in CT). I haven’t tasted either of these vintage versions yet, but I think that the 2017 is/was very good. Now who thinks the 2017 OVZ stinks?
I’m not saying the ‘19 stinks, I’m just saying we’re opening them way too soon.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1794
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#20 Post by Jim Stewart » October 17th, 2020, 8:21 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 8:15 am
Jim Stewart wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 4:57 am
It’s always interesting to me to see very different impressions from different people about the “same” wine. Obviously, a lot of things in play in this particular situation, including the “no great wine, only great bottles” maxim. I have noticed a lot of disparity in posted impressions for not only these early 2019, but also for the much acclaimed 2018 OVZ (especially in CT). I haven’t tasted either of these vintage versions yet, but I think that the 2017 is/was very good. Now who thinks the 2017 OVZ stinks?
I’m not saying the ‘19 stinks, I’m just saying we’re opening them way too soon.
Brian, you are just being a gentleman now! But seriously, the need for some bottle age to show is a recurring point made about the OVZ. Point noted! [cheers.gif]
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#21 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 17th, 2020, 9:01 am

Clearly I must be drinking in a time machine! ;)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20821
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#22 Post by Brian Tuite » October 17th, 2020, 9:27 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 9:01 am
Clearly I must be drinking in a time machine warp! ;)
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#23 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 17th, 2020, 9:32 am

It’s astounding
Time is fleeting
Madness takes its toll
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 146
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 10:32 am
Location: Seattle

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#24 Post by Greg Gardner » October 17th, 2020, 11:24 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 6:38 pm
I should have bought a full case, but I bought so many SVDs...the wife was not amused by the FedEx delivery.
Ha, same here...2 cases of SVDs plus some mags. Wish I had grabbed more OVZ for cellar defenders.

joejolesch
Posts: 271
Joined: December 4th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#25 Post by joejolesch » October 17th, 2020, 11:50 am

So interesting...I went for a baker’s dozen of OVZ since I wanted a case + 1 for immediate curiosity, and not as deep on the SVD’s. Equal non-amusement from the spouse at the 3 boxes, most likely due to no Lulu.

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20821
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#26 Post by Brian Tuite » October 17th, 2020, 12:39 pm

joejolesch wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:50 am
So interesting...I went for a baker’s dozen of OVZ since I wanted a case + 1 for immediate curiosity, and not as deep on the SVD’s. Equal non-amusement from the spouse at the 3 boxes, most likely due to no Lulu.
We’ve been through 3 cases of Lulu already this Summer and another case+ of Judge SB. Helps to live local enough to drop by the tasting room to reload. Went 2 deep in all the SVDs in the last release plus a case of Old Vine which we do every year. It’s a must.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#27 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » October 17th, 2020, 12:42 pm

David, just confirming you did a slow ox in the bottle and not a decant for 2 hours?
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#28 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 17th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 12:42 pm
David, just confirming you did a slow ox in the bottle and not a decant for 2 hours?
Correct.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

joejolesch
Posts: 271
Joined: December 4th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#29 Post by joejolesch » October 17th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 6:36 pm
I cannot imagine someone not liking this wine. It’s like the friendly golden retriever of wine.
[rofl.gif] [winner.gif]

User avatar
AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 462
Joined: February 17th, 2018, 4:29 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#30 Post by AndyK » October 17th, 2020, 3:05 pm

It’s not a bad wine, but best QPR on the planet? I don’t think so... I don’t really get the excitement around this wine.
Worth the $20 for those who like the style, but certainly not much more and I’d rather spend my money elsewhere.
k0berl

2020 WOTY Candidates
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
NV Krug Champagne Brut Rosé 18éme
2007 Marcel Juge Cornas

joejolesch
Posts: 271
Joined: December 4th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#31 Post by joejolesch » October 17th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Poured a glass and I’m shocked how good this is already. Guessing bottle variation and all that, but this is delicious, rich, supple, brambly (more blackberry) - and the mrs just tried it and said, “mmmm...oh that’s fun, what’s this one?”

Ymmv [cheers.gif]

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1830
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#32 Post by Steve Gautier » October 17th, 2020, 3:58 pm

I guess I’ll open my first 2017 tonight. I tend to like these with some age. I still have one ‘13 left.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#33 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 17th, 2020, 4:24 pm

AndyK wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 3:05 pm
It’s not a bad wine, but best QPR on the planet? I don’t think so... I don’t really get the excitement around this wine.
Worth the $20 for those who like the style, but certainly not much more and I’d rather spend my money elsewhere.
Welcome to the thread Mr. Killjoy. ;)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 462
Joined: February 17th, 2018, 4:29 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#34 Post by AndyK » October 17th, 2020, 4:32 pm

[berserker.gif]
k0berl

2020 WOTY Candidates
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
NV Krug Champagne Brut Rosé 18éme
2007 Marcel Juge Cornas

User avatar
Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 958
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#35 Post by Albert R » October 17th, 2020, 4:38 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 4:24 pm
AndyK wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 3:05 pm
It’s not a bad wine, but best QPR on the planet? I don’t think so... I don’t really get the excitement around this wine.
Worth the $20 for those who like the style, but certainly not much more and I’d rather spend my money elsewhere.
Welcome to the thread Mr. Killjoy. ;)
My wife thinks like Andy..... but she is overruled by my daughters and I. We are still going through our 2016’s but look forward to these.
@. Re-go

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3494
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#36 Post by Rich Brown » October 17th, 2020, 4:51 pm

AndyK wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 3:05 pm
It’s not a bad wine, but best QPR on the planet? I don’t think so... I don’t really get the excitement around this wine.
Worth the $20 for those who like the style, but certainly not much more and I’d rather spend my money elsewhere.
Ok, ill bite. Can you enlighten us with the $20 and under wines that blow you away?

User avatar
AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 462
Joined: February 17th, 2018, 4:29 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#37 Post by AndyK » October 17th, 2020, 5:46 pm

I didn't say it wasn't worth $20, I just don't get the frenzy. If you draw a hard line at $20, the OVZ is a probably decent option. But best QPR? No. It's not offensive in any way, but also has little depth and is not particularly interesting to me. There are plenty of reds that check similar boxes, especially from regions like Beaujolais (Sunier, Coudert, Foillard) or Loire (Baudry, Raffault) and tons of Italian wines. Or domestic producers like Arnot-Roberts (Trousseau, Syrah) and Anthill (Syrah) that are more my style and give me more enjoyment for the money (but granted, they are a bit more expensive).
k0berl

2020 WOTY Candidates
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
NV Krug Champagne Brut Rosé 18éme
2007 Marcel Juge Cornas

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3494
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#38 Post by Rich Brown » October 17th, 2020, 6:01 pm

AndyK wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 5:46 pm
I didn't say it wasn't worth $20, I just don't get the frenzy. If you draw a hard line at $20, the OVZ is a probably decent option. But best QPR? No. It's not offensive in any way, but also has little depth and is not particularly interesting to me. There are plenty of reds that check similar boxes, especially from regions like Beaujolais (Sunier, Coudert, Foillard) or Loire (Baudry, Raffault) and tons of Italian wines. Or domestic producers like Arnot-Roberts (Trousseau, Syrah) and Anthill (Syrah) that are more my style and give me more enjoyment for the money (but granted, they are a bit more expensive).
Gotcha! Yep, I'm with you on Beaujolais offering wines with similar QPR, but I don't feel you as much with Arnot-Roberts. Interesting wines but they don't jump out as QPR killers to me at all.

Also surprised you don't find the OVZ interesting or having any depth. To me, that's exactly what it provides and why it gets so much love here. Always exciting, delicious wines with plenty of complexity.....especially at $19 a bottle.

Different strokes and all that [cheers.gif]

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37870
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#39 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 17th, 2020, 6:05 pm

The idea that this wine has little depth baffles me. The 2019 is layered and deep.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4394
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Location: Calif.

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#40 Post by B. Buzzini » October 17th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Drinking the 18 with a little chill on it by the pool...nice!!
Attachments
9F78ADD4-7791-4B19-9B34-60F6D1CF1B4B.jpeg
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7350
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#41 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 17th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 6:01 pm
AndyK wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 5:46 pm
I didn't say it wasn't worth $20, I just don't get the frenzy. If you draw a hard line at $20, the OVZ is a probably decent option. But best QPR? No. It's not offensive in any way, but also has little depth and is not particularly interesting to me. There are plenty of reds that check similar boxes, especially from regions like Beaujolais (Sunier, Coudert, Foillard) or Loire (Baudry, Raffault) and tons of Italian wines. Or domestic producers like Arnot-Roberts (Trousseau, Syrah) and Anthill (Syrah) that are more my style and give me more enjoyment for the money (but granted, they are a bit more expensive).
Gotcha! Yep, I'm with you on Beaujolais offering wines with similar QPR, but I don't feel you as much with Arnot-Roberts. Interesting wines but they don't jump out as QPR killers to me at all.

Also surprised you don't find the OVZ interesting or having any depth. To me, that's exactly what it provides and why it gets so much love here. Always exciting, delicious wines with plenty of complexity.....especially at $19 a bottle.

Different strokes and all that [cheers.gif]
Apparently, Andy doesn’t like zin. In general I agree, but I like Bedrock zin. I agree with liking Beaujolais and it being good value.

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#42 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » October 17th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Opened the 2019 tonight and left to slow ox per David’s recommendations. This wine definitely has depth and complexity and is an absolute delight. Can tell that there is more fruit from Bedrock vineyard in this vintage.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3099
Joined: January 23rd, 2011, 7:33 am
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#43 Post by Andrew Demaree » October 17th, 2020, 7:03 pm

I used to be underwhelmed by the OVZ, as well, until I realized I wasn’t giving them enough time in the cellar. Now they are, for me, the best $20 wine out there. I particularly like that the price has stayed steady, while many wines have increased in price over the last few years. I’m currently drinking the 2015s and they’re delicious.

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1830
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#44 Post by Steve Gautier » October 17th, 2020, 7:15 pm

2017 tonight seemed very young. Will be interested to see where it is tomorrow but I most likely won’t open my next one for 2+ years.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 958
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#45 Post by Albert R » October 17th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Andrew Demaree wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 7:03 pm
I used to be underwhelmed by the OVZ, as well, until I realized I wasn’t giving them enough time in the cellar. Now they are, for me, the best $20 wine out there. I particularly like that the price has stayed steady, while many wines have increased in price over the last few years. I’m currently drinking the 2015s and they’re delicious.
We just finished our 15’s. I agree!
@. Re-go

User avatar
Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 6:05 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#46 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » October 18th, 2020, 6:26 am

I still have one 2015 left, drank two of them earlier this year. Might let it go further for "science" but so fun to drink now.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

User avatar
Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5803
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 am
Location: flight Level 3 seven thousand. NYC Metro

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#47 Post by Dan Hammer » October 18th, 2020, 6:39 am

I opened the 2018 last Thanksgiving. It was ok, but not an oh my wine. I still holding another bottle. Based on the CT notes, people aren’t in love with the ‘18. Rating average is 90 points.

So can anyone tell me what makes my 2019’s something I should look forward to opening, or will the ‘19 be a wine that I’ll bring to a dinner with non geeks?

Dan
This space for rent.

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24170
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#48 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 18th, 2020, 6:41 am

Dan Hammer wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 6:39 am
I opened the 2018 last Thanksgiving. It was ok, but not an oh my wine. I still holding another bottle. Based on the CT notes, people aren’t in love with the ‘18. Rating average is 90 points.

So can anyone tell me what makes my 2019’s something I should look forward to opening, or will the ‘19 be a wine that I’ll bring to a dinner with non geeks?

Dan
Isn’t 90 a very good wine? At $20, I’m happy there. It’s meant to be a high quality daily drinker while the SVDs mature. There have been some vintages, sounds like 2019, where they definitely over-perform.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6983
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#49 Post by Michael Martin » October 18th, 2020, 6:45 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 6:41 am
Dan Hammer wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 6:39 am
I opened the 2018 last Thanksgiving. It was ok, but not an oh my wine. I still holding another bottle. Based on the CT notes, people aren’t in love with the ‘18. Rating average is 90 points.

So can anyone tell me what makes my 2019’s something I should look forward to opening, or will the ‘19 be a wine that I’ll bring to a dinner with non geeks?

Dan
Isn’t 90 a very good wine? At $20, I’m happy there. It’s meant to be a high quality daily drinker while the SVDs mature. There have been some vintages, sounds like 2019, where they definitely over-perform.
+1

User avatar
Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1200
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 8:36 am
Location: Philly

Re: TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

#50 Post by Brian Lynch » October 18th, 2020, 8:24 am

Popped one last night and visited it over three hours. Came around pretty well with air but you will be better off waiting two years since this has more stuffing than your typical entry level zin.

Will deliver high enjoyment at a song in two years.
The Waterboys

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”