TN: 2017 Ridge Geyserville

This is obviously very, very young, but upon opening the oak (only 16% new?) was quite overpowering; lots of that chocolate & vanilla influence right to the forefront. After some time open, the wine relaxed and more layers came out; a bit of loaminess, a touch herbal, a hint of gravelly minerality, some cocoa powder, and dense purple and black fruits. The quality of that fruit on the palate remained somewhat confected and perhaps on the verge of being syrupy for my tastes, but the acidity is good and it’s not flabby or extracted. I can’t say I loved this, but saved enough to see if it improves on day 2. As is, hold, hold, hold.

Geyserville is the only Ridge I still buy. I always try one young, after decanting for hours and hours, and then I let them sit for years and years. After 10 years, they are amazing! But young, they kind of hurt to swallow.

I’m going to take your advice from now on!

Huh…10 years. I think someone else mentioned that.

I wasn’t gonna out you and stir up something Stormy without your permission. champagne.gif

This seems weird to me. I’ve always enjoyed Geyserville right out of the chute. It’s the wine I use to introduce wine to people who don’t know anything about wine.

Depends on the vintage. I’ve had a couple that were obnoxious on release, like this appears to be. Much more often they’re very enjoyable from the get-go, like the '18.

I would have no problem serving this wine PnP to a newbie. And they would probably love it.

But I am oak sensitive. In short, my palate is like Alfert’s. So I very much prefer this wine with a little age and mellowing.

This.

My current thinking as well. Of course, can be vintage dependent.

I often find Geyserville - and actually most of Ridge’s Zins - to demand air when young. As you mention, on opening the oak is a bit of a sucker punch and it needs everything else to catch up to it. This was less true when I first tasted the '17 ~15 months ago, when the primary fruit was still turned way up.

It was a bit more knit together on Day 2 - where we had some ribs to go punch for punch with the wine - but there was still a pretty significant sweet oak signature, especially on the nose & finish.

Have you found that to be the case in other Ridges that you’ve had? I know some people aren’t big Ridge fans in general because most of their wines do have a very distinctive and persistent American oak character, especially when young but even to some extent with age.