TN: 2017 Walter Scott Chardonnay Cuvée Anne (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

[cheers.gif]

• 2017 Walter Scott Chardonnay Cuvée Anne - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (10/16/2020)
    Seems still quite coiled and dense on the palate. Hints of green apple and a tart acidity. Very clean, very precise. With air you get some waves of salinity and a touches of sweetness to buffer the edge. Seemed to start to hit a nice stride after about an hour of being open and occasionally splash decanted. Very nice and seems to have upside.
    Posted from CellarTracker
1 Like

Even better on night two. There is a really appealing herbal/fennel note and rounded out in the middle. A buddy just said it tastes like young Puligny and I don’t disagree.

Awesome note Dennis, sounds great. The 14 CA was my Eureka moment with WS Chard, and all in all, not that far behind the SVD offerings.

I recently got turned on to the 2016 Walter Scott Chardonnay La Combe Verte. Cost is slightly less than the Cuvee Anne. Are there any differences between the two? The '16 is my new favorite chardonnay at the price. I filled in with the 2018.

Dan, La Combe Verte is Walter Scott’s entry level Chardonnay. The Cuvee Anne is the next step up, and then you get the single vineyard wines like X-Novo and Seven Springs.

If you are just starting out with Walter Scott’s wines, I think it’s worth buying at all levels - the La Combe Verte has the advantage of being most accessible on release, but the overall complexity of the wines really amps up as you climb the ladder.

BTW, the ‘19 La Combe Verte just got released.

[cheers.gif]

Looking forward to some X-Novo soon. Really impressed with these Walter Scott Chards.

Thanks Bob. I’ll be on the lookout for this and other WS wines.

Dan - Avalon out of Oregon usually has a decent selection of Walter Scott. And try some Morgen Long while you’re at it [cheers.gif]

Enjoying this bottle this evening, and was looking around online for the exact components and this post came up.

Lovely sense of primary “maturity” without any sense of fatigue. Most of the tasting notes above still hit in terms of descriptors. I am especially impressed by the real density in this bottling at around 5 years in bottle; taught, juicy, very expressive with noticeable tension.

17 was the last year I made the Violin Wines at Walter Scott and also the last year before beginning my own Chardonnay program. It’s a pleasure to have a number of the 17s we made together during that time. I think the next few years will be peak enjoyment on this one if cellared properly, all the elements in great harmony at the moment.

#TGU for days

4 Likes

Thanks for the bump. I have not had this one since this note. Need to dig another one out. Glad it is still kicking!