Your Top German Riesling Vintages ?

Hello all, wanted to query this experienced and knowledgeable crowd and ask What are you favorite vintages for German Riesling and why ? Thank you. Adam.

Depending very much on region
Also to some extent on which Prädikat
But apart from a few doubtful vintages (2000, 2003, 2006) almost every vintage is st least good
Current vintages 2017-2019 are simply great in all regions
And then off course there is 1971 75, 76, 83 etc for mature wines

Yeah. I just don’t really think about it like that. Vintage is probably the 4th thing I consider after Producer (region being inherent in that more or less), Prädikat and even (less so) vineyard.

But if you want an answer. For drinking now, 2001, 1996, 2004 maybe. In no real order.

1. Amazing year.
1 Like

You are biased when it comes to 1971. :wink:

1 Like

2001 and 2012 are my favorites in the last 20 years, as a general statement. There is a lot to love in numerous other vintages, but those two really resonate with me.

I’m with Claus. In addition to these classic vintages he mentions, it’s an embarrassment of riches from 1993 or even 1988 to present, with only a few weaker but not bad vintages in the mix. And there is some variation by region / producer although I admittedly tend to be MSR-centric in my thinking with a little Nahe and HGS era Muller-Catoir thrown in.

Bookmarking this

Regional preferences turn this into a fun game of multi-dimensional chess. I know how I feel about Mosel and Nahe vintages over the last 30 years, but after that it gets a little thin. I have a general feeling about Rheingau and a limited perception for Rheinhessen, but my Pfalz data is really limited since the early 2000s.

1 Like

I feel like the Pfalz is always an outlier. I have had three 2018 Pfalz wines recently and wow they were really off, they felt milky, devoid of any acidity or energy and just plain boring.

Wasn’t '15 supposed to be an amazing year? Was that just hype

Yes it was hyped and yes it is a good year.

Also in Kallstadt and surroundings

1971 - this forever … even simple wines are excellent!

Nicos is correct when he says 1971. And, I rarely agree with Nicos. Is Nicos vintage 1971?

My second favorite vintage is 1990. I also like a lot 1975, 1976 (mostly higher pradikats), 1983, 1985, 2001, 2005, 2010 (esp. higher pradikats (esp. GKA), and 2015. But, honestly, these days the differences between the top vintages and the others is much less than it was in the 1970s and before and there are a lot of great wines from a lot of vintages. Not too many poorer vintages these days.

In the other direction, I like 2014 Pfalz wines more than Mosel or Nahe.

I can speak of older vintages, but I have not tasted recent ones in quantity.

1971 of course, and 1975 over 1976. Both great, but ‘75 seems to be enjoying the long haul better. 1983, 1990 and 2001.

I’m heavy on 2004 and 2012. I’m out of anything 1971, which was fantastic.

The best I had though, and only had it by blind luck with a family friend, 1949, an outstanding vintage that lasts. I picked up a mixed case of the below.
1949 Beerenauslese.jpg
1949_2.JPG
1949 Riesling.JPG
1949 Riesling Decanting.jpg

Yes, Nicos is vintage 1971. While he and I don’t always agree about wine, he’s so generous and charming while he’s disagreeing that it hardly matters.

I must admit I have had some really fun evenings at wine tastings with Nicos, including one in London at St. Johns. Unfortunately, I have not seen him in a long time. A fun person who has been fulfilling my predictions for him about the wines he would learn to like.