Beringer new SV, Borrow Pit (2017)

This is a new SV from Beringer, and now a component of their PR Cabernet starting in 2017. They are very high on this vineyard and it’s potential, which is part of Gamble Ranch adjacent to Screagle. The area was mined for rocks to build the Rector Dam, and only recently planted. This wine did not blow we away per se, because it is not overblown or apparently big. A bit restrained? But it is 15.1%…but no heat at all. It is deep purple, not black. Definitely valley floor vs the usual, in recent years, mountain fruit typical with Beringer PR sources. Cherry, black cherry on the nose and palate, a bit of oak and spice, some boysenberry also upon tasting. This took about 5 minutes to open, and then very smooth/ well balanced. Not explosive but kind of builds and lingers. Fine tannins. The label says the soil is Perkins Gravelly Loam and this was planted only in 2015 with 6 different clone and root stock combinations. amazing to me that with the Beringer vineyard sources that such young fruit made it to the PR and was bottled as a SV. But glad it was. FWIW. The wine was consumed in a couple hours- pretty delicious.

Where did you find it?

Got it from Beringer. Probably the only place. I think there are only about 100 cases or so.

interesting! brings me back to this thread, Napa Vineyard Location Question - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I do not recall that 2015 thread but I think you nailed it!

I am surprised that fruit from 2 year old vines shows that well, or goes into their PR.

as long as they keep tom gamble away from it im sure they’ll be alright. the ‘born on 3rd base’ saying applies with him.

I’m drinking this wine now and it’s pretty amazing. If it’s really the second fruiting I can’t imagine how good it will be as the vines mature. Did Oakville do particularly well in 2017? The Detert 2017 wines are really good too.

Of all the 17s I’ve had, those from Oakville and Rutherford have been my favorite overall. Corison also made a really nice 17.